Can't Set Shipping Amount

Subscribe to Can't Set Shipping Amount 2 post(s), 1 voice

 
Avatar Dave Howell 15 post(s)

Once upon a time, control-clicking on an auction brought up a context-sensitive menu that included “Set Shipping Amount…” as one of the choices. That appears to have vanished at some point. Unfortunately, about half the auctions I’m loading into JBidWatcher are getting “--” as their shipping cost, even though I can see specific dollar amounts in the auction pages on eBay.

I even went so far as to have JBidWatcher switch over to using MySQL for its datastore so that I could gain write access. Then I updated the internal tables to stick the shipping costs into the database. JBidWatcher did update its display to show the shipping costs…for a little while. At some point, I’m guessing it re-loaded the eBay page (probably to keep track of the current bid amount), and overwrote my shipping value with “--” again in the process.

Note that these auctions do NOT have “Please enter zip code to calculate shipping” links. They have all had just a set dollar amount.

I’d love to have “Set Shipping Amount” back again. Of course, if JBidWatcher got better at extracting the amount from the pages, that’d be nice too, but being able to set it by hand is likely to always be a needed option.

 
Avatar Dave Howell 15 post(s)

Well, how mysterious. I updated from version 2.1.4 to 2.1.5, and not only has “Set Shipping” re-appeared, but I can once again access the context-sensitive menus via VNC, which weren’t responding before. I thought the no-context-sensitive-menu problem was an issue with my VNC server or client; I had no idea it was somehow related to JBidWatcher itself.

Well, anyway, the problem has evaporated. If only more problems would be so co-operative.