Let's all say "Thank You" to Morgan this Holiday Season

Subscribe to Let's all say "Thank You" to Morgan this Holiday Season 3 post(s), 2 voice(s)

I’m completely new to this forum (1st post!) – but have been using and following JBidWatcher’s development for awhile now.

I personally want to just say thank you to Morgan for all the effort that’s being put into keeping it working! Against a big corporate conglomerate like eBay with a development department staffed with highly trained people who’s specific jobs are to outfox someone like Morgan – I have to say BRAVO!!!

And what better way to say “thank you” at this time of year than to show it with a PayPal donation of some sort for his incredible effort and time spent on this FREE utility I’ve come to love and rely on.

So PLEASE – $5, $10, $20, $50 – even if only $1… Let’s all show our appreciation for Morgan’s efforts by using his PayPal “Donate” link (found on the left side of the home page near the bottom in the yellow sidebar) – and buy him lunch, a beer, or something at least!

I just sent my $10.

Thank you Morgan! Merry Christmas!

P.S. If this would get more attention elsewhere in the forums, please feel free to move it as needed!

Well, it’s nice to see how much support Morgan has here. Everyone has opinions – no one has time to even say thank you?

Morgan – do yourself a favor and charge for your work.

Avatar Morgan Schweers Administrator 1,204 post(s)

Greetings,
Heh… I appreciate the thought, but the forums get a LOT less traffic than the main site, unfortunately.

I also haven’t released a new version in a bit, which always drives some discussion and such.

That said, I really have never felt comfortable charging for JBidwatcher, since eBay can break it at any time, and I’d feel guilty that I’d taken people’s money for a product that wasn’t working. I very much appreciate the donations I get, though, they’re always helpful.

My goal is to release a ‘Next Gen’ version with a few new visible features (and some major improvements under the hood) and optional integration with a web site I’d build.

The integration would include stuff like being able to control your home JBidwatcher in some basic ways (add or cancel snipes, add or delete auctions from what you’re watching, etc.), and a centralized web display of the auctions you’re watching. The other major feature would be a fallback parser, so when JBidwatcher has trouble parsing a page, it can hand it off to the server and ask what it is. This would allow me to fix parsing issues in one spot, and everybody who has the service benefits until I can release a new JBidwatcher version. (It would also allow me to get ‘live copies’ of the troublesome pages early, which is always a problem.)

Anyhow, that would be a service that I could feel comfortable charging some marginal amount for (say $15/year), while the core program would still be open source.

Folks who donated within the last few months would be grandfathered in as the initial set of users, of course.

Anyhow, we’ll see if any of this happens. I’ve got some personal life stuff going on that, while wonderful, is also very much weighing on my available time.

I suppose I should blog about it… :)

— Morgan Schweers, Cyber*FOX*!