Snipe Timing

Subscribe to Snipe Timing 13 post(s), 6 voice(s)

Hey -
New to this sniping business, though looking forward to having this advantage.

I’m curious if there’s a minimum amount of time I can put to have the software perform ok for me? I currently have it set to snipe within 5 seconds of the auction ending. Is there a reason I shouldn’t put 1 second? Or is 5 seconds cutting it too close?

Curious to hear your advice!

Avatar Justin Goldberg 4 post(s)

What was the programs default? I can’t remember. Was it 25 or 35s?

I set mine to 57 seconds, so that I could have a few seconds left if someone out-sniped me and I happen to be at the computer, but I’m thinking about setting it back to the default. I’ve lowered it to eight seconds before when I someone out-sniped me one time. I wouldn’t recommend it that low because you’ll lose every time. 17s seemed to work best as I recall. Don’t forget that network latency and all those other network minutiae are against you.

I would like to figure out what’s the lowest safe time as well as the lowest rolling the dice time.

I’ll try 20 secs out. Can’t remember the default.

Thanks for the info!

Avatar Morgan Schweers Administrator 1,204 post(s)

Greetings,

The default is 30 seconds…

I go into more detail at:

http://www.jbidwatcher.com/help/faq.shtml#ans35

I hope that helps!

— Morgan Schweers, Cyber*FOX*!

I’m curious if anyone has been able to snipe with 1 second left. I set mine at 3 seconds and it’s worked every time. So far I haven’t been outsniped but then again, most of the auctions I bid on don’t attract a lot of bidders.

Greetings,

Heh… One person wrote me with a timing issue, and it came out that they sniped at 1 second, always. I eventually got them to back it off to 3 seconds, but they said they’d been doing it for months before then, on a REALLY fast connection.

I really, really don’t recommend it, but if you have items you’re totally okay with losing, it’s fun to try for it. I used to get about a 50% success rate with 1 second snipes when I’d play with it, but usually on just test items.

Officially (as in the FAQ above), I recommend a minimum of 10 seconds, and that’s on the fastest connections…

Hmm….guess I won’t try the one second then. I used to do 10 seconds but that still gave people time to outsnipe me. I’ve changed it to 3 seconds and since I have a cable connection it’s worked perfectly. :)

I’ve been successful with a 5-second snipe for months now, on a basic Comcast cable connection.

I’m going to have to go from 10 to 5. I’ve gotten out-sniped by one increment several times now.

Greetings,

You will always be outbid by one bid increment if they bid more than you. If they bid $1000, and you bid $100, you’ll still see the high bid as $102.50, one bid increment over yours.

It’s not the person who bids last who wins, it’s the person who bids the most (and their cost is based on the second-highest bidders bid). The uses of sniping are many and valuable, but you still have to bid more than everyone else who’s interested in the item.

If you feel comfortable giving a few item numbers, I can tell you approximately what happened in the last few moments. It’s easy to figure out from the bid history screen whether someone actually sniped later and higher, or if you lost to a previously placed higher bid.

Thanks, Morgan, I think the truth is slowly starting to sink in. I’m finally getting the principle that it’s the highest bidder who wins, but it’s the second highest who sets the price. It just irks me to be the second highest! :)

Here’s one where eBay says, “You were outbid at the last minute”: 150172788212. I’d like to know how that one turned out, because I hated losing it.

Lane

Greetings,

Looking at: http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=150172788212

You were, in fact, the last bidder with 4 seconds to go. The previous bidders were 2 seconds before you (6 seconds from the end), and 8 seconds before you (12 seconds from the end). Your bid dominated the one who bid 2 seconds before you, but you were both outbid by the one who bid 8 seconds before you. That user bid some amount over $89, probably (based on their bidding history on other items) $92. It might have been $91, $97 or $102, but the upshot is that they had the high bid. They paid one minimum bid increment over your bid ($88.73) because that’s how the eBay ‘proxy bidding’ works. (It’s not really proxy bidding, but it’s a convenient fiction for explaining it.)

eBay (I presume) gives that message if the winning bid produced in the last minute, even if yours was placed after it. You weren’t ‘outbid in the last minute’, your bid was below the existing high bidders hidden max bid, which was placed in the last minute (but before yours).

I hope that info helps!

eBay (I presume) gives that message if the winning bid produced in the last minute, even if yours was placed after it. You weren’t ‘outbid in the last minute’, your bid was below the existing high bidders hidden max bid, which was placed in the last minute (but before yours).

Thanks, Morgan, that does help. The deceptive message from eBay threw me off.

Sniping with jBidWatcher is great!

Lane