Downloading Java

Subscribe to Downloading Java 7 post(s), 2 voice(s)

I am dog sitting for friends and trying to install Java on their machine so I can use JBidwatcher.

They have a 6 month old Dell. I haven’t used Windows for over 10 years. I have tried several times to download Java, but it is undectectable on this machine and JBidwatcher isn’t working.

They subscribe to AOL.

Any advice would be appriciated.

thankyou

Avatar Morgan Schweers Administrator 1,204 post(s)

Greetings,
You should be able to get it from:

http://java.sun.com/getjava

A 6 month old Dell should be ready to rock with Java.

Check ‘Start Menu’ -> ‘Settings’ -> ‘Control Panel’ -> ‘Add or Remove Programs’

Under that list, you should see something like:

J2SE Runtime Environment 6.0 Update 1

If that’s there, then Java is installed. You might need to allow the Firewall to let it through, but that should be prompted when you first run JBidwatcher.

I hope that info helps! Please feel free to ask any followups you need.

— Morgan Schweers, Cyber*FOX*!

Thank you, Morgan

I found:

Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2
Java™ SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1

I have been to Java.com

The machine has AOL with IE installed. ugh.
I have tried to download Java with FireFox.
But the installation doesn’t varify.

Nothing happens when I try to download with IE.
Wait, I just now got a varification in IE

However when I fire up JBidWatcher, I get the Alert.
“Not yet Logged in. …..

In JBid Config Manager:

Browser Command > The Linux command:
Netscape
windows command:
C:\PROGRA~\MOZILL~1\Firerox.exe –url”%1” –requestPending

changed Linux command to FIREFOX, no difference, still ‘not logging in.’

What am I doing wrong?

Robt.

I just now tried to check my eBay info,the name was correct I reentered my pin.
saved the new setting.
Then quit and opened JBidwatcher.
Good news: JBidwatcher signed into eBay
Bad news: JBidwatcher left a snip at 42 minutes before the Auction end!

I had snipe set for 12 seconds.
JBidwatcher placed a bid for the auction 42 minutes before the auction end
And sent a message “Successful Snipe Placed …” or something like that. SNIPE not BID.

Is JBidwatcher going to place bids instead of snipes now?

Robt.

Greetings,

Hrmm… Check the computer’s clock.

I’m going to shoot in the dark and say that it was probably not adjusted for DST, or something like that. So JBidwatcher thought the auction was over, and tried (just in case it was wrong) to place a bid anyway.

Hello,

I had entered a snipe into JBidwatcher, but when I opened JBidwatcher, it said it wasn’t logged in. On top of that, I couldn’t get Java to verify the Java download on this machine. I don’t know how it did finally verify, unless the browser cache wasn’t refreshed and verification finally showed because I shut down the browser, thus clearing it, and so the verification showed when I opened it again.

I believe the problem with JBidwatcher not signing in is that I had an incorrect pin for my eBay account entered into JBidwatcher. I reentered the pin, nothing happened. So I opened and closed JBidwatcher. JBidwatcher immediately sent the snipe after it was opened with the correct pin. That happened to be 40 min before the auction end. I wanted to mention that it was a ‘snipe’ and not a ‘bid’ that was placed and that JBidwatcher verified that. I did win the auction last night, btw, without a counter bid.

I may not want to bid on another auction while I’m here. But if I do, I’m afraid of using JBidwatcher again if it’s going to place a bid instead of a snipe. But this could be a one time fluke.

I checked the clock on the computer and it checks with the current local time.

Greetings,

I wouldn’t worry about the Java install… If JBidwatcher is running (its UI comes up), then Java is installed.

I’m pretty sure the password issue was the primary one. Once that was fixed and JBidwatcher restarted with the right values, it probably connected to eBay, and for some reason thought the auction was over or close to over.

If you can provide the item #, I’ll take a look at the auction and see if there’s anything unusual about it.