Total newbie questions

Subscribe to Total newbie questions 5 post(s), 2 voice(s)

Hi, I have some absolutely trivial questions, cos I’ve not found the answers to them in FAQs.

Basically, I don’t get how sniping works.

When I select an auction, right-click, and choose “snipe” it asks me how much to snipe. What I don’t understand is what that really means.

If I enter, say, £10, does that mean it will bid £10 immediately, or that it will bid £10 if I’m outbid, or that it will bid £10 in the last second before the auction closes, or that it will bid £10 each time someone outbids me and that way spend more money than I want?

Thanks to anyone who can clear this out for me! :)

Avatar Morgan Schweers Administrator 1,204 post(s)

Greetings,
If you enter £10, it will wait until about 30 seconds(1) before the end of the auction, and place a bid at £10 on the item.

However, because of the way eBay’s bidding system works, the actual amount you’d pay is still only as much as one bid increment over the previous bidder. (So if the item was going for £1, you’d pay something like £1.05, even if you bid £10.)

(1) this is configurable in the Sniping tab under JBidwatcher’s Configuration Manager.

I tried to answer the question of how sniping works in the in-program FAQ, but my writing skills suxx0r. :) I think I over complicate everything, but I hope this helps…

— Morgan Schweers, Cyber*FOX*!

Ahhh I get it!

So the “How close to snipe” thing is how many seconds before the auctions end it should fire! I get it now!

I’m just not sure how close to make that… I have a 1.5mb connection, is 10 seconds too narrow?

Avatar Morgan Schweers Administrator 1,204 post(s)

Greetings,
Well, some of that is addressed by:
http://www.jbidwatcher.com/help/faq.shtml#ans35
and the related question:
http://www.jbidwatcher.com/help/faq.shtml#ans40

It’s not really about your bandwidth, although that’s the number everybody touts because for large files (movies, music, software) it’s really important. In this case it’s more about your latency. Dial-up has the worst, cable is middle-of-the-road, and DSL is generally the fastest (again, by latency) consumer-level internet access in my experience.

I hope that helps!

— Morgan Schweers, Cyber*FOX*!

I decided to test it with some really cheap item. 10 seconds worked like a bliss, so I think I’ll stick to that! :D

oooh fingers crossed tomorrow for some shooooz.