JBidWatcher 1.0.1 Hangs on Close...

Subscribe to JBidWatcher 1.0.1 Hangs on Close... 11 post(s), 5 voice(s)

Hi. I just got the new 1.0.1 version and tried it, and it has the same problem that 1.0 had: when I close the application it hangs and doesn’t complete the process. I am using Mac OS 10.4.9 and have to do a force quit which means that all previous ends of auction aren’t recognized, etc. it bids just fine while it it running but when I want to close it just hangs and won’t close, it stays active and the “jbidwatcher” column is highlighted in aqua blue, but nothing else happens.

Avatar Morgan Schweers Administrator 1,204 post(s)

Greetings,

If you can pull up the system console (it should be in Applications | Utilities as Console), and go into the JBidwatcher configuration manager, set the ‘debugging’ and ‘logging’ checkboxes. Now, watching the Console window, try to close JBidwatcher. I’d love to know if anything got reported in that window.

— Morgan Schweers, Cyber*FOX*!

Hi. I’ve having the exact same problem. I’ll go a bit further. When I try to quit JBidWatcher, I get the spinning pizza wheel of death and need to Force Quit. In addition, I lose everything that is supposedly “saved”. Actually, the “auction saved” dialog box fails to come up when saving (nope, didn’t check the box to prevent it) – no doubt since things aren’t being saved. It still bids fine, I just can’t ever quit it without losing everything after May 7th. I’ve tried the usual Mac stuff, rebooting, repairing permissions, cleaning out logs, running maintenance scripts, etc.
Here’s my system config and a snippet of the console error messages.
OS X 10.4.9 Intel Core Duo MacBook Pro

Thu May 17 23:44:51 PDT 2007: Serious error, consider dying.
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Thu May 17 23:44:53 PDT 2007: Serious error, consider dying.
Thu May 17 23:44:55 PDT 2007: Serious error, consider dying.
Thu May 17 23:44:57 PDT 2007: Serious error, consider dying.

- Jack Chavez

hi. i just tried it, and this is what i got from the console:

“Sat May 19 05:01:43 PDT 2007: Saving to: /Users/xxx/.jbidwatcher/JBidWatch.cfg
Sat May 19 05:01:48 PDT 2007: Disabling ‘adult’ mode and retrying. (i checked the “adult” radio box)
Exception in thread “AWT-EventQueue-0” java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space"

Greetings,

The message:

Disabling ‘adult’ mode and retrying.

means that it couldn’t successfully log in through the process that gives access to the mature audiences section, so it retried by going through the typical login process.

Out of memory errors usually indicate you have a LOT of items in the program, or the program isn’t setting the max memory usage correctly. This often happens if you run the .jar version straight, instead of the platform-specific version.

However, I have 742 items in various tabs, and JBidwatcher is taking up only about 68M of memory…

Now it’s certainly possible that the max memory setting is somehow not working right, and it’s limiting you to 64M of memory (for instance). You are running the app.tar.gz version, hopefully?

If you pull up Terminal (generally in Applications | Utilities), I’d love to see what the output of the following commands are:
<pre>java -version ls -l ~/.jbidwatcher/auctions.xml</pre>

That would help some, by giving me an idea of what version this is under, and the overall size of your auctions.xml file.

Running the platform specific version:

java version
java version “1.5.0_07”
Java™ 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_07-164)
Java HotSpot™ Client VM (build 1.5.0_07-87, mixed mode, sharing)
-
———-
ls l ~/.jbidwatcher/auctions.xml
-rw-r
-r— 1 jack staff 3276610 May 18 00:27 /Users/jack/.jbidwatcher/auctions.xml

I do have a lot of items in my ‘complete’ tab as I use it as a history of item prices since I tend to buy a very specific class of item and use it to guide me in setting snipe prices.

BTW, I sent you something via Paypal the other day. This is a great little application that has been very solid overall. Thanks for coming up with it.

- Jack Chavez

Uh, don’t know what the strikethroughs are about. I pasted right of of iTerm. Maybe that caused some kind of weird formatting issue.

- Jack Chavez

hi again. this is what i get when i check what you told me to check

java version “1.5.0_07”
Java™ 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_07-164)
Java HotSpot™ Client VM (build 1.5.0_07-87, mixed mode, sharing)
ls l ~/.jbidwatcher/auctions.xml
-rw-r
-r— 1 galenwes galenwes 2953196 Apr 2 19:11 /Users/galenwest/.jbidwatcher/auctions.xml

galen

Have discovered that there 45000 items in my auctions.xml file between the deleted tags.

Using vi I edited my auctions.xml file to remove the 45000 items and it all works fine again.

Greetings,

Wow!

I need to dig into that and try and eliminate some of the old deleted tags on a regular basis, like ones that are 30 days old or something.

That’s a lot of deleted items, though!

hey,

i’ve been having same problem since 1.0.1

just deleted all my auctions.xml nodes and all is working again!!!

thanks david for the fix.

for the record i had 2272 ’s.

also for the record previously i was getting lots of :

Sun May 13 09:57:26 EST 2007: Serious error, consider dying.
Sun May 13 09:57:28 EST 2007: Serious error, consider dying.

In the console after running for a few minutes.