Lots of errors with 1.0.3pre1

Subscribe to Lots of errors with 1.0.3pre1 10 post(s), 3 voice(s)

Have been running and enjoying jbidwatcher for a little while now – what a great program :) !!! I’m having some odd behavior with the latest version that I cannot explain. I had trouble with 1.0.2 so I updated to 1.0.3pre1, but none of my bids are getting through.

I noticed some talk of time synchronization issues, so I have been syncing with the NTP server(s) once in a while, and I notice that after a sync with NTP, and after a sync with the eBay servers, jbidwatcher will report a time difference of about -300. Is that OK?

Then after about an hour, it will report a difference more in the magnitude of -5000 to -11000.

Then after a couple hours, the difference will be more like -50000.

I don’t know if these are milliseconds or what? I have increased my snipe time up to 12 seconds in the hope that the next bid will go through, but I sure could use some advice.

Thank you again for such a wonderful program, and thank you for helping people out like you do.

Fired off another snipe last night, but it went about 2 minutes too early! Hmmm…

And now this morning I notice my time is off by about 120,000!

Ah, good – I kept synchronizing my times, and a bid fired off at about the right time, and was too low so I lost – but at least the bid fired… But I have to keep syncing my times every hour or so to keep them anywhere near each other! This never seemed to happen before at all…

Anyone?

Today, for an unknown reason, my time sync dropped to -101, and I fired off a successful snipe! Not sure if my problem is resolved, or if I just got lucky…

Uh, am I carrying on a conversation completely with myself here?

Seems so. Ah no.. maybe not.
I keep checking for new posts for anything that might update the OS X version which does not appear to be able to ‘see’ to update any auctions at all. I miss this application.
Good luck with the time synch.

Avatar Morgan Schweers Administrator 1,204 post(s)

Greetings,

clanger: If you can’t load auctions with JBidwatcher 1.0.3pre1 or 1.0.2, you have a networking or firewall issue. None of the known current problems with those two versions are related to being unable to load items.

tamathumper: The time in the ‘Time information’ display is in milliseconds, so 120,000 is 2 minutes off. That means your computer is off from eBay’s time by 2 minutes. If JBidwatcher fired 2 minutes early the previous night, then what it really means is that your clock’s time is off from eBay’s time by 2 minutes, and JBidwatcher fired at the right time.

JBidwatcher synchronizes its time regularly. If you’re seeing the ‘Time information’ adjust, that’s because of the synchronization. If those numbers were not changing, I’d be more concerned. Unless your clock speeds up and slows down wildly (sometimes the case when running in virtual machines), JBidwatcher’s time synchronization update frequency should be more than adequate.

If your page-load time is high, that means you’re having networking issues connecting to eBay’s time server. Make sure you have no firewall rules preventing JBidwatcher from reaching eBay’s time server.

JBidwatcher’s time display is synchronized to:
http://viv.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?EbayTime

You have to have Time Synchronisation checked in the General tab of the JBidwatcher Configuration Manager (File | Configure), also, but that’s the default.

— Morgan Schweers, Cyber*FOX*!

Hi Morgan.
I do network through a home router (Linksys) but do not run any other firewall software ie Little Snitch. The older versions worked perfectly before the ebay updates broke the app in August. The only thing that has changed on my setup has been a routine update to OSX 10.4.10. I will recheck my setup. Interestingly the app does not seem to have a problem with time synch with the e bay server and I can sign in via bidwatcher etc. It dtails that it is updating the auctions at the bottom of the window but they do not update in the main window and it says N/A in the time left column..
Thanks for your reply and your work on this application.
Paul

Avatar Morgan Schweers Administrator 1,204 post(s)

Greetings,

clanger: OH! You’re not having the ‘failure to load’ problem, you’re having the ‘I can’t see my auctions’ problem! Sorry, forehead-slapping moment there… :)

Check out this FAQ entry:
http://www.jbidwatcher.com/help/faq.shtml#ans4

and let me know if that helps!

— Morgan Schweers, Cyber*FOX*!

Thank you for the reply Morgan! My page never takes even a second to load, and I don’t have any software in the way, so to speak. In the last two days, the time differential has been on the order of magnitude of about 100, so I’m not sure what has changed? Maybe it was a transient problem with Time Warner/Road Runner?

YAY! The terminal command worked a treat. The app is back in the running.

Cheers Morgan. Yet another beer I owe you.