Future Features Request...

Subscribe to Future Features Request... 2 post(s), 2 voice(s)

Please move to the appropriate Forum. I tried to find a Future Features Requests Thread/Forum but couldn’t seem to find one. Seeing this is the most frequented, I decided to post here for visibility.

Future Feature Requests for Jbid…

1. It would be nice if there was a way to highlight a particular auction in the listing. A way to make it stand out. There are occasions that I want to make a note on an auction so that when I look at my listing later on, it will pop out at me. My current solution is to put a snipe of say 1cent. When I see that I have a penny snipe, that tells me theres something about that auction that I need to look into…either research the equipment or item im trying to buy or whatever. Problem is you cant snip if its below the auction price so if you neglected to get it ready to snipe you would loose out. Looking for a better way…Hope that scenario makes a bit of sense.

2. Is there a way to put in an automatic backing up of the crucial files that get corrupted when jbid doesnt get shut down properly. Ive seen various threads on this and without having them in front of me, I cant recall the exact challenges that this presents when programing, but maybe just a way to have the application manually collect and store the files to a user defined area, then a way for the user to later load back in the files?

Note:
I do see the save auctions button but I don’t think this is doing what Im suggesting above. If it does please point me to where to learn more about this feature. When clicked, it seemed to save a file but I didnt see how to load it back in. Its also unclear if it saves past/current or all auctions. Also unclear where that file is saved.

3. A way to group auctions or organize them in the list. Sometimes I can get a crazy listing going. Most often my completed items will be kept for reference. It would be nice to be able to collect say all the won auctions and put them into a separate folder/tab or ? thereby separating them from the ones that I didn’t win. Basically just looking for a way to manage the listings in the past and present auction lists.

4. An “If Then Snipe” or “Conditional Snipe”?
For instance say you want 1 item but there are two potential items (chances to bid) for sale. A way to say bid on one and dont bid on the other if you won the first, or bid on the second if bid on first is lost?

If any of these requests are discussed or implemented already then please point me to their location. Sometimes I get lost in the muck and cant find my way out. This could be one of those times.

thanks much

Todd

Avatar Morgan Schweers Administrator 1,204 post(s)

Greetings,

It would be nice if there was a way to highlight a particular auction in the listing.

If you comment on an auction (right-click or control-click on Mac OS X, choose ‘Comment’, and ‘Write comment’), it bolds the item number and puts a little ‘note’ in the status display. The bolded item number should help, at least.

Is there a way to put in an automatic backing up of the crucial files that get corrupted when jbid doesnt get shut down properly.

JBidwatcher backs up the last 5 hourly and last 5 daily saves of the auctions.xml file. There is no automatic process for moving them back, because I’d rather solve the problems that lead to issues. The display.cfg file is another which appears to have issues sometimes, but it’s not a critical file (it contains things like the screen location, column widths, etc.), so the user can delete it and the program will recreate it with a good one on restart if it gets corrupted.

A way to group auctions or organize them in the list.

Right-click (or control-click on OS X) on the tab names, and you’ll see a menu for adding a new tab. Searches can also target a tab that doesn’t yet exist, and it’ll be created if the search returns any results. If you want to move items to another tab, select the items to be moved (the ‘Select:’ box at the top can help with this), and again right-click (or control-click) on the selected items and choose ‘Send to…’ and the tab you want to move the items to. It’s in the FAQ, also.

A way to say bid on one and don’t bid on the other if you won the first, or bid on the second if bid on first is lost?

This is called multisniping in JBidwatcher, and there’s a small tutorial on how it works on the JBidwatcher main site. It’s been a feature of JBidwatcher for many years.

Hope this info helps!

— Morgan Schweers, Cyber*FOX*!