How To: Forced Clean Re-Install?

Subscribe to How To: Forced Clean Re-Install? 5 post(s), 2 voice(s)

Hello Morgan,

Ive had on several occasions, my computer either crash or Jbid get closed without it going thru its saving formalities and have lost auction information. I know that its documented that will happen in these situations, but I couldnt find an appropriate solution to my problem.

On these different occasions, I either loose all past information (current/complete) or partial information about saved auctions. The first few times this happened (in earlier versions) the performance of the application never appeared to be in question. Lately, things seem to have changed.

Current issue:
JBid lost all auction information due to a power loss to the computer.
Restart of computer and JBid showed that I had to re-enter all prefs, User name/pwd, Snip time etc.
When re-entering current auction information, I find the application will not show the listings. They are there, but invisible it appears.

Attempted Solution: Fresh install…
I deleted all my jbid files…or so I thought, but when I re-installed the application, the preferences seemed to be present and the application now continues to act the same….invisible listings. Something lingered behind and I have not been able to find the culprit.

Question(s):
1. How do I force a complete re-install without having any other instances of Jbid on my machine?

2. What is the step by step process to do this? 3. What are the names of the associated files I should look to delete? 4. What are the magic Jbid file(s) that gets corrupt when a crash occurs? 5. Could this file be manually backed up by the user as a means of preserving loss of auctionin the future?

Software Info:
Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 / JBidWatcher (1.0.2)

Platform Info:
Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 1.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Graphics Display Info…
Intel GMA 950:

Chipset Model: GMA 950 Type: Display Bus: Built-In VRAM (Total): 64 MB of shared system memory Vendor: Intel (0×8086) Displays:

Cinema HD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1920 × 1200
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Supported
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Rotation: Supported

Thanks for your dedication to this app and your commitment to resolving issues when they pop up. It often goes unsaid, but its appreciated by all.

Todd

Clarification to Question #5…

Could you manually backup the file(s) that store the auction info? My thought was if I had a non-corrupt version I could manually install the auction information by swaping a file(s). So my question… Is this a potential solution to the problem for the future occurances? it seems that this happens to me about 4 times now so I thought I would consider looking for a way to ease the pain for the next time.

thxs

Todd

Avatar Morgan Schweers Administrator 1,204 post(s)

Greetings,

I find the application will not show the listings. They are there, but invisible it appears.

This is addressed as ’"_I’ve recently lost all visibility to my auctions. Under the ‘current’ tab I can’t see anything, and under the ‘complete’ tab, I can see the time/date listed in the left column but that’s it._":http://www.jbidwatcher.com/help/faq.shtml#ans4’

How do I force a complete re-install without having any other instances of Jbid on my machine?

You virtually never need to do this. JBidwatcher’s executable files are entirely self-contained in the application itself. If you really feel that JBidwatcher itself is corrupted, you can drag that to the trash and re-download it.

It’s almost always the data which has issues, which is not kept with the application (or upgrading would lose all your data). The answer linked above is the primary data-related failure that people run into on OS X.

Some other FAQ answers that might help you are:

I’m sorry I’m mostly responding by pointing you to the FAQ, but because of my sadly deficient documentation skills, those are the best source of explanations of how to use and troubleshoot JBidwatcher.

Nearly every one of the FAQ’s, both in the program (Help | FAQ) and the on-site FAQ are extracted from actual emails I’ve sent people. I find that usually when I’m actually responding one-on-one to a user’s issues, I’m clearer than when I try to write documentation ‘in absentia’.

I hope this info helps, and best of luck with your auctions!

— Morgan Schweers, Cyber*FOX*!

No apologies necessary.

Thanks much for the info. Gonnna check it out now.

Todd

rm ~/.jbidwatcher/display.cfg

in terminal….the magic elixir!

Thanks!!

Todd