JBW/eBay Time Synchronization Offset

Subscribe to JBW/eBay Time Synchronization Offset 2 post(s), 2 voice(s)

Well, that sucked. Using the JBW Pre5 version on Windows XP Pro. I had a snipe that didn’t work earlier today but didn’t know why. Then a couple of hours later I missed getting another bid in at the end of the auction. This time I looked into the issue and here’s what I found. After I synchronized the time in JBW, I checked eBay time in the browser, and the official eBay time was 12 seconds ahead of JBW’s time. My snipe time was also set to 12 seconds. Bummer. Within 5 minutes of discovering this, I checked again and suddenly everything is back in sync. So has anyone else seen this and have any idea what happened?

Anyway, thanks for the great software and awesome support to accomodate the recent eBay changes, Morgan!

Avatar Morgan Schweers Administrator 1,204 post(s)

Greetings,

I just (about an hour ago) discovered that eBay is returning ‘501’ HTTP errors for the page that JBidwatcher was using to get the official eBay time. :(

I’ve put in a fix for that, too… sigh

Anyhow, this means that until I put out the next update, JBidwatcher’s time will be your local computer time, and most home computers are off from any standardized time source by a few seconds at least. This is presuming eBay is synchronized to a standardized time source, which in the past I’ve had be a very sadly mistaken presumption. Sometimes their web front-ends aren’t even synchronized with each other… :(

Anyhow, I’ve put the new URL into the CVS tree version of JBidwatcher, and I’ll put it up when I can get a few more bugfixes in place.

— Morgan Schweers, Cyber*FOX*!