Has ebay broke it? (19 July 07)

Subscribe to Has ebay broke it? (19 July 07) 134 post(s), 50 voice(s)

Avatar Morgan Schweers Administrator 1,204 post(s)

Greetings,

Nice! I haven’t had time to read through the whole thread, but I have a preliminary fix in CVS for folks who want to try that…

But I’m REALLY happy to see folks helping each other, and getting it up and working. Thank you Hans, and everybody!

I’ll get back on here when I can; unfortunately I’m already late for my day job… :)

— Morgan Schweers, Cyber*FOX*!

>on winXP, for avoiding Error from Java Virtual Machine Launcher: “Could not find the main class.”, use the following command :
>
>C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\javaw.exe -jar jbidwatcher.jar

Same error. Note that I don’t have any trouble with 1.0.1 — when I download JBidWatcher-1.0.1.jar, I can start it fine by either saving it and double clicking, run it directly from the download, or by the command above.

ok everybody, here’s the one really important step you have to do if you want to run the “hacked” .jar:

you have to download the latest JAVA from java.sun.com

if you don’t download the latest java, you will run into errors, no matter what operating system!

go to java.sun.com and download Java™ SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 2

Good luck, Hans

Hans
Thanks for all your work so far
Just visted the Java site. Could you tell us exactly what we need to download. I know almost nothing about Java
Then I’ll probably come back and ask how to put the hack in unless Morgan sorts it for us

Mike (semi techie on a good day)

Hi mikethebike and all,

although I did do some downloading before, I’m confused of all the different JAVA, JRM, J2EE and you know what versions they offer there as well.
So here’s a (hopefully) simple recipe to get you your latest Java version:

go to java.sun.com

click on “Downloads” at the top

select the “Java SE” branch (click on the “+”)

choose “Java SE (JDK) 6 Download”

in the upcoming list, scroll down to “Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 2”
and click on the Download button

choose your operating system in the list, there’s Linux, Solaris and Windows to choose from
don’t forget to select the “Accept” radio-button at the top

—> I’m not a Mac guy, can someone please add info for the Apple-people?

Download the binary/exe, then install it

now you should be able to run the “hacked” .jar just by clicking on it in your file-browser.

HTH, Hans

Mine seems to be working with sun-java 1.5.0.11 – but I built my own from Hans’ patch. linux 2.6.20-gentoo patches

I haven’t sniped anything yet, but i can update from either internal searches or My Ebay watching list. I’ve set some snipes – its just a few hours away …

I’m afraid that java 1.6 will break things – I’m waiting for more adventurous gentooers to take the plunge.

Thanks,
Craig

Will compiled Windows .exe, whenever is gets released, require 1.6? (I have A LOT of stuff running that relies on java, and so I can’t update JRE 1.5 to JDK 1.6 latest just for jbidwatcher.)
I’m hoping it doesn’t, cuz I really like this app. If not, then I have to ask — and I hope this doesn’t sound whiney — why JDK 1.6? is there something in 1.6 that you really need? Are you compiling with 1.6 JDK just because it’s there? I mean, what ever happened to least-common-denominator? ;)

Greetings,

Unfortunately Mac OS X doesn’t have a Java 6 version yet, at least outside of the ‘early access’ area. Generally Apple does major JRE updates with major OS updates, so Java 6 might not ever be available with the current rev of OSX. :(

Anyhow, I’m trying to get through the email that I’ve gotten so far, and get a general multi-platform build together.

Greetings,

The basic explanation is that the compiled Java contains a reference (the bytecode version, to be specific) to the version number that it was built on. I do my builds on a Java 1.4.2 setup, so it’s compatible with anything after that, which should be everybody’s.

For folks keeping up with the current version of the Java Development Kit, they’ll have Java 6 installed, and so the code they build will require Java 6, even if it’s not using any Java 6 features.

I fall back to the most general version that I can reasonably use; although I think even my builds may require Java 5 (but not Java 6) soon. But that’ll be the ‘Next Major Version’, whatever I call it.

Hi Morgan,

thanks for your quick action on this topic. It’s a major work to get a new version out that satisfies everybody on every OS.
The solution I offered earlier was just to keep things up and running for some people (including me ;-) )

I’ll add two more posts here in reply to others that might help more people in using my temporary hack version.

Anyway I would like to thank you, Morgan, for your excellent work! I love to use jbidwatcher and I’m happy if I can be
of any help in this situation.

BR Hans

As an FYI it appears for OSX:

“Platform Standard Edition 5.0 on Mac OS X v10.4.5 and later.

This release includes J2SE version 1.5.0_06. With this update J2SE 5.0 becomes the preferred Java version, superseding Java 1.4.2."

Hi Jaz,

you are right, in this case Java 1.6 was chosen just because “it’s there”. But things like that
always hapen with a solution that is called “a hack”.

The objective was to get a working solution ASAP, not to get a solution that works everywhere;
that will be done in an official release version.

A little hint from my side to you and all the people that would like to have this quick
fix working on there special environment:

- download a Java JDK version for your operation system from java.sun.com, it’s as complicated
as downloading the runtime-Java ;-)

- download the source code of the wonderful jbidwatcher, unpack it

- apply the patch I offered

- recompile the .jar file. This is done as easy as saying “make jar” on the command line

- share your success story on http://forum.jbidwatcher.com/

- you may even offer your .jar file online so other people can benefit from your work

What’ya think? Hans

Solution for MAC ? (and other pre-1.6 Java versions?)

one of my machines was still running Java 1.5, to be exact it is
“java version “1.5.0_06”

So I rebuilt the .jar and it’s available here: http://tinyurl.com/2vpbrq

PLEASE: Can someone verify this, maybe even on a MAC, so other people know it works?
And add instrucions for MACians on how to use it?

Thanks, Hans

Hans

I just downloaded the new 1.5.0.6 version you released and it seems to work. I’m running OSX10.4.10 with the latest software downloads.

Thanks

I just tried the jar version that Hans posted earlier and it works fine on my computer running Vista Basic. At least so far anyway. At least I can add auctions and update them. Havent tried any snipes or bids at this point.

I’m running Windows XP Media Center and the .jar that Hans posted is working fine when I run with “javaw.exe”. No snipes yet but it’s getting all the new watchlist items. Thanks!

Exception in thread “main” java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:620)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:124)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:260)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:56)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:195)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:268)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:319)

Geeze… not able to enter text into the box unless it’s pasted in…

Looks like I’ll be updating the Java, if my poor abused machine doesn’t run away from me. ;-)

ding!! we have a winner (so far) with the 1.5 version.
Thanks Hans!

I just had a successful snipe using the precompiled jar hack on a WinXP Pro machine. I’m running Java 6 Update 2. I lost the item, however, the snipe executed perfectly.

Thanks husk, cyberpip, L Smith and all the others,

keep them success reports coming! My guess is the “Exception”-guys are running a really outdated Java engine?

Keep on jbidwatchin’ ! Hans

Hans, thanks so much for your patch!

Here are a couple of auctions that still won’t update for me:

Maybe someone who has the CVS version built could see if they work with Morgan’s fix?

Greetings,

They won’t work any better right now; fixed-price (‘Buy It Now’) listings have an additional issue. Namely there is no longer any evidence of an ‘End Time’ on the listing. It used to be in the title, and for auctions it’s still in the body, but fixed price items have nothing clear that indicates when the listing ends… :(

There’s ‘Starting Time’, and ‘Duration’, but that’s a terrible way to figure out when the listing ends.

Anyhow, I’m trying to figure out a good way to handle that…

Greetings,

Also David, you shoulld know that JBidwatcher cannot perform a ‘Buy’ on 290131477119, because it’s an ‘Immediate payment required’ listing. That means that the BIN flow goes through PayPal, and JBidwatcher doesn’t do that.

You’re probably already aware of that, but you should know, just in case…

Greetings all,

First, Morgan thank you for working so hard to get this issue fixed, we all need our daily “Ding” fix… I too installed the 1.5 Jar fix from Hans (Thank you Hans) on my Mac and so far so good… I’ll let you know if my next snipe works. Wonderful program, great support and very helpful forum, thank you all!

raman