Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 7,903 post(s) found

Apr 30, 2003

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Netscape 7.02 on RedHat 7.3

Hi,

I configured my browser as /usr/local/netscape/netscape.

JBidwatcher always try to start a new copy of netscape when
I ask JBidwatcher to open a URL.

How do I configure JBidwatcher to browse an auction URL
in my existing browser window?

Thanks.

Apr 22, 2003
Avatar Morgan Schweers 1,204 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Feature Request: listing fees

Greetings,
Unfortunately, that information isn’t really available to JBidwatcher. After you’ve listed it, I’m not even sure where I’d get that from. If you know a page on eBay where that information is displayed on a per-item basis, let me know, and I’ll hunt it down and see what I can do.

It’s probably post-1.0, because I’ve still got too many bidder-side things to do to get to 1.0. Post-1.0 I’ll be looking at making it more seller friendly, and feature req’s like this help a lot in laying out a direction to go.

— Morgan Schweers, CyberFOX!

Apr 21, 2003

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / JBidwatcher and different User Profiles

Greetings,
Okay, that’s pretty weird… JBidwatcher uses a Java variable ‘user.home’. If that’s pointing to your ‘Application Data/Desktop’ directory, then that’s where it’s going to store it. Ick…

In theory, if you have a desktop shortcut to launch JBidwatcher, you can set it like this for user1:

java -Duser.home=“C:\Dukumente und Einstellungen\{user1}” -jar JBidWatch-0.9.jar

and another for user2:

java -Duser.home=“C:\Dukumente und Einstellungen\{user2}” -jar JBidWatch-0.9.jar

You might need to provide a whole path to the java executable in that case.

It’s certainly possible that I could try to determine the current user, and create a specialized directory for that user’s auctions.xml file and display file. It’s an interesting and relatively straightforward feature, but probably one that would be post-1.0, unless someone else wants to implement it.

Apr 2, 2003
Avatar (SF) Stephan... 4 post(s)

JBidWatcher stores the configuration files in “D:\Anwendungsdaten\Desktop\.jbidwatcher”. These files will be used by both WinXP-Users :-(

The path “C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\{username}” doesn’t contain a folder named “.jbidwatcher”.

Mar 31, 2003

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Feature Request: listing fees

JBidWatcher is great for tracking items that I’m selling.

It would be great if JBidWatcher could pull in the fees associated with each auction from Ebay and display them on “Selling” tab. Fees include “listing fee”, “highlight fee”, “final value fee”, etc…

Mar 30, 2003
Avatar (SF) Bubba Y... 3 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Refresh time confusion

Morgan,

Perfecto. I believe that your last response has completely answered any issues raised in my initial request. My apologies for any confusion I may have caused.

One minute updates during that last 1/2 hour of an auction work fine! (I just couldn’t find any info relating to those times in the documentation)

Thanks,

Bubba

Mar 30, 2003

Greetings,
Ah, okay, sorry… I thought you meant the time sync to make sure that the JBidwatcher time is linked with eBay’s time.

In the last half hour of an auction, items drop to 1-minute updates. This is mainly because any faster, and eBay might have an issue with it. Also because on most lower speed connections, if you have 5-10 items which close in the last half hour, you will take more than a minute updating all of them…

If you brought it down to a 5 second update time, if you have multiple items closing in the last half hour, some might get starved for update time, unless you have a very fast connection.

The code for handling the update is in AuctionEntry, and again, the update-speed is hardcoded to once per minute, once it gets into the last 30 minutes. I can make both configurable relatively straightforwardly, but I’d really urge against updating too rapidly.

In fact, although it’s the easiest to do, I’d probably not make the ‘start fast update’ time configurable. This is because eBay is very, very vehement that automated tools not hit their site too quickly. The last half hour should be fine, since that’s when snipers usually come in.

JBidwatcher keeps internally a ‘time delta’ of how long it takes to retrieve a page from the auction site, so it has an idea how far before the ‘real’ snipe time it has to start preparing a snipe. This value might be useful for determining the fastest possible ‘re-update’ time, based on the number of items closing in the last half hour. I’d have to display it on the dialog that allows you to change the update time, and warn you if you’re selecting too fast an update time…

It’s worth keeping track of as a feature idea, definitely.

Mar 29, 2003

Morgan,

Thanks for your reply.

I think that my direction here is being able to more closely monitor auctions towards the closing. Seems like being able to to configure times (maybe down to 5 second intervals?) would be helpful in the decision-making process.

Then again…I probably spend too much money on eBay anyhow…:—)

Bubba

Mar 29, 2003

Greetings,

It should do this automatically by default. It uses your home directory

C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\.jbidwatcher

to store the configurations, cached auctions, and saved auction lists.

If it’s not doing this, then there’s something wrong… Can you tell me where it’s storing the configuration files, and auctions.xml file? I’m not terribly familiar with Windows XP, but I know that under Windows 2000 it does the right thing…

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. For some reason it didn’t send your original message to my email (which is how I get notified usually that people are posting here).

Mar 29, 2003

Greetings,

It’s hardcoded, unfortunately, to 30 minutes.

I can make it configurable, if you think it’d be useful. Another timer like that is the update of the users sign-in cookie from eBay, which also happens every 30 minutes. That, however, is less configurable, because they time-out portions of the cookie (specifically the adult access) every ~45 minutes.

Mar 29, 2003

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Patch to build.xml

Greetings,
Applied, plus some additional changes for the new JB-Help and graphic files I’m adding in the next version. (Documentation is my big desire to add for the next rev.)

— Morgan

Mar 29, 2003

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Get My eBay items

Greetings,
Oooh! Patches! Interesting… I’ll have to check their respones, that would be frustrating. Anyhow, I’m applying that as follows (to handle both potential cases):
if(nextKey.startsWith(“Set-Cookie”) ||
nextKey.startsWith(“Set-cookie”)) {
}

Mar 29, 2003

No ideas?

snixx!

Mar 27, 2003

Howdy,

I’m trying to figure out how often JBidWatch refreshes and whether I can control this function. Maybe I’m not looking in the right config file but I just can’t seem to see it.

Help please?

Thanks,

Bubba

Mar 26, 2003
Avatar (SF) Christi... 2 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Patch to build.xml

Hi,
when building JBidWatcher from source the
com.stevesoft.pat classes were not included in
the resulting JAR file.
This patch to build.xml solves that.

diff u z:\dev\jbidwatcher-0.9\build.xml.orig z:\dev\jbidwatcher-0.9\build.xml
-
- z:\dev\jbidwatcher-0.9\build.xml.orig Wed Mar 26 15:18:22 2003
+ z:\dev\jbidwatcher-0.9\build.xml Wed Mar 26 15:18:22 2003
@ -73,7 +73,7 @

-
+

Mar 26, 2003
Avatar (SF) Christi... 2 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Get My eBay items

Hi,
getting auctions from My eBay was not working for me in
JBidWatcher 0.9. After a little debugging I came up with a
patch to CookieJar.java that solved the problem for me:

diff u z:\dev\jbidwatcher-0.9\CookieJar.java.orig z:\dev\jbidwatcher-0.9\CookieJar.java
-
- z:\dev\jbidwatcher-0.9\CookieJar.java.orig Wed Mar 26 15:06:54 2003
+ z:\dev\jbidwatcher-0.9\CookieJar.java Wed Mar 26 15:06:54 2003
@ -108,7 +108,7 @
return getAllCookiesFromPage(redirect);
}

- if(nextKey.startsWith(“Set-Cookie”)) {
+ if(nextKey.startsWith(“Set-cookie”)) {
newCookie = new Cookie(uc.getHeaderField(i));
_cookies.put(newCookie.getKey(), newCookie);
}

Cheers,
Christian

Mar 24, 2003

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Load auctions from My eBay

Greetings,
First: PLEASE stop hitting ‘Reload’. Look at the top of your page, it probably says something like ‘Message Posted’, which means that you’re re-posting the message every time you hit reload!

I just deleted five instances of the same message.

Now, as to the question… Do any messages show up in your console display? Turn on ‘Debugging’ and ‘Logging’, and see if any files named error.log or error.log.# (# being a number) show up, or are updated. If so, close JBidwatcher, and send me the text of the log files, or the console error messages.

I’d also like you to try and bid on an item (it’s a test item), which is item # 2917877409 which will determine if your eBay account and password work. (Don’t worry, I won’t charge for the item, it’s just for testing.)

If the bid fails, it may be because your password or username were entered wrong.

Another possibility is this… Go to your ‘My eBay’ page, and look on the page… Are there any items there at all, that aren’t closed?

Mar 23, 2003
Avatar (SF) Robert ... 4 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Load auctions from My eBay

I’m using jBidwatcher 0.9 for the first time. I’ve configured the eBay tab with my eBay ID and password. When I load auctions with “Bet My eBay Items”, nothing get loaded. I can manually add eBay auctions with no problem. My firewall verified that it went to cgie.ebay.com, cgi.ebay.com, and signin.ebay.com.

The only message I get is “Done synchronizing with My ebay”. Any pointers are appreciated. Thanks,

Mar 17, 2003

Is it possible to use JBidwatcher with different User Profiles (Windows XP)?

How can I define different places to save JBidWatch.cfg and the auctions save files for each user?

snixx!

Mar 16, 2003

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / I figured it out.

The problem was that the download link on freshmeat where I found the program, downloads the source tar file rather than the jar file. I downloaded the jar file from the homepage and now it runs.

Mar 16, 2003

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / I must be missing something

I just downloaded and untarred on Windows 2000. There isn’t a jbuilder.jar file, but there is a jbuilder.java file. I tried executing that with javaw but the application doesn’t seem to start.
I have Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.1_01 installed. Do I need a different java environment?

Mar 14, 2003

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Add Auction Link in Web Interface

Greetings,

It’s not exactly plaintext, but it’s not particularly encrypted either, unfortunately. Good encryption requires I prompt the user for their ‘general’ password on launch, and then decrypt their real password using that. This is a bit intrusive, and difficult.

Mar 14, 2003

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / EBay Login Broken still

Greetings,
There’s a version available, and I’m hoping to release a ‘full’ 0.9 version this weekend. Contact me via email, and I’ll provide it.

Mar 14, 2003

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Linux

Greetings,
Ick… I’m not sure what the MalformedInputException error is, but the problem adding auctions has been fixed… Contact me via email to get access to a version that doesn’t have this problem.

eBay is down right now, so I can’t check out the auctions you reference in the details.txt file, but I will when I wake up. In general, though, some of the errors in there, I recognize, and have already made fixes for.

Mar 14, 2003

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / First run? - beginer with java

Greetings,
vladaman: I’m afraid you’ve mistaken JBidwatcher. It is a full-fledged application that runs on the end-user’s computer, not an applet. It does not run within a browser.

MitchD123 has it exactly correct, you can launch it on a Windows box (if you have the JRE installed) by double-clicking on the .jar file, or making a shortcut to it. You can also go to the command line and execute

java -jar JBidWatch-0.9pre5.jar

Also, JBidwatcher requires JRE 1.2.2 or later. 1.1.8 did not support some fundamental features of the Java language that made it much less useful to me as a general programming language.

The latest JRE is 1.4.1_02, if I recall correctly, and is available at:
http://java.sun.com/getjava/index.html

Good luck!