Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 7,821 post(s) found

1 2 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 313 Next →
Nov 20, 2001
Avatar Morgan Schweers 1,200 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Working on 0.7 release

Greetings,
The 0.7pre2 version in CVS SHOULD be the final version for 0.7 release. I’ve started working at a new job, which is sucking my time away from JBidwatcher. Hopefully I’ll find a few spare moments to finish up and do the full release.

I also have a ‘quick start’ guide which I’ve written to a few eBay users, giving details on how to download the JRE and JBidwatcher, and get it up and running. I’ll be putting that in the docs section soon, and then on the web page as well. Sorry about the delay folx, but having a job again after 6-7 months is definitely taking my attention. wry grin We’ll have a 0.7 out soon, and it WILL include a fully functional multisnipe!

— Cyberfox!

Oct 3, 2001

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Time Sync not working right

Greetings,
Actually, figureDate uses an auction-site specific date/time string to convert the date. eBay’s is “EEEE, MMM dd, yyyy HH:mm:ss z” which includes the timezone at the end there.

Setting my timezone under Windows to EDT, I see the problem you’re referring to. For the time display on the main page what’s really being displayed is the time in your local timezone adjusted for the drift between your local clock and

eBay’s server time.

Things like sniping are handled correctly, for instance, but the display looks odd. In fact, everything will behave as if eBay is in your local timezone, and will work just fine based on that. Unfortunately, that’s disconcerting when compared to looking at the actual eBay pages. The issue with keeping the displayed time synchronized with eBay is that I don’t keep updating the eBay time every second (of course). Instead I update regularly, every half hour to correct for any potential drift and recalibrate for changing page-load times. I believed what I had to do was add code to simply set the resultant timeZone to the correct one, but in digging deeper, I’ve realized that I addressed this problem before…and failed to do it correctly. The Calender class under Java incorrectly handles timezones being imported from a Date object. Instead, it sets the timezones to the local time zone no matter what. The problem is actually in setOfficialTimeDifference. I don’t know how to fix it just now, but I’m working on it. Sorry it doesn’t work right. I’ll try to get it fixed before 0.6, which is a release I’m working on right now. 0.6 will fix the new login problems with eBay, add a bunch of cleanups to the UI and code, and a few other useful features. This bug is now on the list as well. Thank you very much for taking the time to report problems! I can add features in a vacuum, but unless I see a bug myself, without anybody reporting bugs I can’t fix them. — Morgan Schweers, Cyberfox

Oct 3, 2001

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Time Sync not working right

I note that figureDate() keeps bringing the date in in the local time zone. That’s affecting the “official time” display on the GUI.

Fixing this means making assumptions about the date format (e.g., picking up the last “word” from ebay, and making a TimeZone from it.)

Jun 1, 2001

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Snipe time too long...

Greetings,
I agree, 30 seconds is generally too long. Especially with a DSL or Cable connection.

The main issue is that in order to bid, it needs to submit a preliminary bid to eBay, get the resultant page, and submit another page to do the bid. While this is USUALLY a very quick operation, I found that under bad circumstances it can take about 15 seconds to do all that on a 28.8K modem. I doubled that, in order to give a safe overhead. In the code, as you’ve probably seen, I’ve actually gone as far as to give EVERY individual auction it’s own snipe time. All it would take is a bit more UI work in order to present a friendly display to the end-user that lets them set their own snipe value. I definitely need to do more work on the configuration options screens… However, I’ve recently found myself unemployed and basically broke. This leaves me in the position of not really doing anything on eBay for a while. If you’re using JBidWatcher, PLEASE use the CVS version! The currently released version may have trouble with eBay’s current pages and such. Anyhow, hopefully I’ll get to doing the extra UI work soon. If you have the desire to put something together, I’d be VERY happy to look at patches adding this capability to the program! Thanks muchly for your comments! — Cyberfox

Jun 1, 2001

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Snipe time too long...

Just a thought… add a config option for user defined time to snipe from end of auction, 30 seconds is way too long (if safe). I just changed it to a 3 second delay, hope it works. heheh.

Neat proggie, by the way. Still looking it over.
Cheers

Apr 11, 2001

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / First run? - beginer with java

Hi,
I would like to use your java program on our new auction (we are using PHPauction), but how can I run your software?
I instaled IBM’s JRE 1.1.8 and how can I run it? How can I run jBidWatch from HTML browser for visitors?

C:\>java JBidWatch-0.4.5.jar
Can’t find class JBidWatch-0/4/5/jar

C:\jbid>java JBidWatch.class
Can’t find class JBidWatch/class

C:\jbid2>java JBidWatch.java
Can’t find class JBidWatch/java

Thanks for help.

Jan 10, 2001

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Is JBidWatch 0.4 Running finally

Greetings,
Erk, unfortunately I made a bad presumption on the format of eBay’s auction id’s… I knew it was wrong before I released 0.4, but I didn’t expect them to change it that quickly. That’ll make it fail for almost any form of auction adding.

The CVS version already has the patch to work correctly with the new eBay ID’s, but I haven’t made a release version yet. The problem under Solaris has me baffled. I need to borrow a friends Solaris box and hack on it, unless someone else has any ideas… — Morgan Schweers

Jan 8, 2001
Avatar (SF) Ken Kir... 3 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Is JBidWatch 0.4 Running finally

Tried it on my Linux box. Doesnt work worth a damn with Kaffe, but I did get it to run using Sun’s JRE 1.3. I successfully added an auction to the list. It was painful though. Adding an auction by typing in the auction ID has yet to work for me. At any rate, the .jar file does seem to load using RH7.0 and JRE1.3. I could not compile the JBidWatch.java files. I am a complete Java novice, so maybe thats the problem. I did compile successfully under windows. it just didnt work. :-P

Jan 6, 2001

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Is JBidWatch 0.4 supposed to work cross plat?

oops.. forgot to mention that I am using JDK v1.3 in Windows 98SE.

Jan 6, 2001

I am having the same problem as Larry. I am using the jdk v1.3. I’ve tried both the .jar distro and compiling the .java source with the same result. JBidWatch starts up, I configure it, save my changes, then the Mascot logo pops up, goes away, and the debug menu starts scrolling “Asking for: ebay.synchronize, returning: false”. I tried setting sync to true in the config file and that just continues to scroll the same thing except it ends in “true” instead of false. Thats all I can get it to do, even after leaving it for several minutes.

I have not tried it on my linux box (RH7) just yet.

-Ken

Nov 28, 2000
Avatar (SF) Larry W... 3 post(s)

No errors, warnings, etc.

Now things get interesting! I tried with java 1.3
(remember, I’m on SPARC Solaris 8, under CDE …).
This time, I see the grey box, with a white ‘bar’ across it with the word disabled inside.

So I start up snapshot to take a picture of what I am seeing. It pops up several boxes during this
process – one of which ends up overtop of jbidwatcher’s empty box. After I do the save,
I notice some text in the jbidwatcher box ! So
I move my mouse into the box and notice that text is appearing and disappearing there. I see 4 click boxes, so I click on a couple of these.
All of a sudden I see the following output going to stdout:

Asking for: proxy.host, returning: null
Asking for: proxy.port, returning: null
Asking for: firewall.host, returning: null
Asking for: firewall.port, returning: null
Asking for: splash, returning: null
Asking for: savefile, returning: null
JBidWatch: Failed to load saved auctions: java.io.FileNotFoundException: auctions.xml (No such file or directory)
JBidWatch: Checking for old-style auction data file.
Asking for: proxy.host, returning: null
Asking for: server.port, returning: null
Asking for: server.enabled, returning: true
Raw server date: Tue Nov 28 09:33:52 EST 2000
Asking for: ebay.synchronize, returning: false

etc.

Does this help? Is there anything else I can do to provide you more diagnostic info?

Nov 27, 2000

Greetings,

Oooh. That’s bad. Yeah, the first thing it’s supposed to do (after the splash screen) is put up a configuration screen with a couple of tabs, and spaces to put things like your eBay username in. If that’s not even displaying… Erf.

If you have the time, try it with Java 1.3?

I presume there aren’t any errors spit out, or anything, just a grey box?

— Cyberfox

Nov 27, 2000

When I use /bin/java -jar ./JBidWatch-0.4.jar I
get a grey box with no buttons and a title bar that says Configuration manager.

Any ideas on how to get anything more than that?

Again, the platform is:

SPARC Ultra 5 Solaris 8, with /bin/java -version saying
java version “1.2.1”
Solaris VM (build Solaris_JDK_1.2.1_04c, native threads, sunwjit)

Nov 27, 2000

Greetings,

Yes, it’s definitely supposed to work cross-platform. However, in order to run .jar files you have to use the command:
/bin/java -jar JBidWatch-0.4.jar

Give that a try, and see if that makes it work for you. PLEASE drop me a line if it does or doesn’t, I’d LOVE to know if it works on a platform I’ve not had the opportunity to test on!

— Cyberfox

Nov 17, 2000

I’ve been trying to get JBidWatch-0.4.jar to work
with Java 1.2 and now 1.3 on SPARC Solaris – currently Solaris 8. What I get is this:

$ /bin/java JBidWatch-0.4.jar

Exception in thread “main” java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: JBidWatch-0/4/jar

Is there supposed to be something else that I have to do to get it to run?

Aug 11, 2000

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / We have a new mascot!

Greetings,

Previously I was using a cute picture I’d taken of a friends parrot as the splash screen… A friend of mine convinced me I needed something better, and had another friend draw up a REALLY pretty graphic for me! It’s a pun on the ‘JBidWatcher’ name, ‘Jay Bidwatcher’. (Although I occasionally slip and call it Jay Birdwatcher… grin) It’s the jbidwatch.jpg file, and is now the default splash screen on startup. I’ll probably make an icon out of it also, so the project can have a default icon as well.

If you have CVS access, I highly recommend using that, because the volume of changes in CVS over the last release are huge. I’ll be putting out a release within a week, hopefully, if I can get the XML save-file format to save and load cleanly by then. That will allow the event logging capabilities to work better, and many other useful features.

Stay tuned. BIG changes are coming!

— Morgan Schweers, cyberfox

Jul 11, 2000

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / JBidWatcher update

Greetings,
There’s been a lot of recent activity on the source. Here’s some of the primary features and changes so far in CVS since the 0.2 release:

Browser proxy connections so the browser user doesn’t have to log into anything that JBidWatcher is already logged into.

Browser monitoring of the JBidWatcher state (you can retrieve the table of auctions w/ info remotely, and you will eventually be able to remote control it via browser).

Time resynchronizes every half hour.

HOPEFULLY correctly supports timezones, but since I’m in the timezone with the only server I’ve implemented, I haven’t tested this yet.

Constantly updating time display (clock), showing the time at the default auction server. (Which is default will matter when I implement other auction sites than eBay.)

Adult auction bidding/sniping works (this appeared to be broken).

There’s a ‘show status’ option which tells you the last thing that was done to that auction item, and how successful it was. (This will eventually also be put into a log.)

Even less hardcoding of ebay-related information. (It’s getting to the point where I may implement Yahoo auctions soon, just to clean out any ugliness that still remains.)

Removed the ‘Track Bids’ concept for now, so that I could set the configuration item up for enable/disabling the proxy links (for ‘view in browser’ and remote-browsing).

Improved configuration dialog consistency.

Sniped bids show up in the list as green, so you can instantly tell the difference between things you’ve only bid on and things you have a pending snipe on.

You can now cancel snipes w/o exitting, editing the auctions.cfg file, etc., etc… It’s a right-click option now.

It now honors the configuration option for whether you’re adult registered or not.

Many of the menu options added are not working, and some will even throw NullPointerExceptions, as they’re just tied to the right-click menu, but don’t have the same context information yet.

Of the actual bugs that I’m investigating right now, the most annoying is the apparent memory leak in the coloration code. It makes it very difficult to use under Windows 98… I don’t know if it’s the JRE or if it’s something somehow in my code, but one tool (JProbe) claims that the number of Color objects grows uncontrollably.

Bugs to expect will be fixed before the next release:

eBay removing an auction, and us losing the data because we presume it’s a valid auction.

Bidding not working on adult auctions.

Auction Update not working under Windows 2000.

Connectivity to the server is not reported.

If I get to features, I hope to work on:

configuration tabs (a browser tab, one for each auction server, and some JBidWatcher specific options).

Double-clicking an auction should instantly request an update from the server.

Add storing to the save-file whether we’ve done a final update on an auction or not, so on launch it only updates auctions that we need to update.

The next version will be named 0.3.0alpha (should probably be called pre-alpha, but I started this naming convention, so I’ll stick with it).

This is a call for people to try it, test it, abuse it, and report every niggling annoyance you get. Feedback is critical!

Thank you!

Morgan Schweers
cyberfox

Jun 21, 2000

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / State of JBidWatcher

Greetings,

This is a brief update of the status, and plans for JBidWatcher…

I’ve actually used JBidWatcher a lot lately, including sniping on auctions, monitoring auctions, and generally keeping good track of them.

It runs as a single binary under both Windows and Linux right now, without any problems. (In fact, my primary development is under Linux, with a Windows box that maps the development directory and runs the same .class files using the same configuration files.) It supports drag and drop of auction URL’s straight off of Netscape onto the program on both platforms.

It hasn’t been released yet, because it needs a little bit of configuration to get it going. I want to make the program automatically handle that initial configuration, instead of making you create a text configuration file. It also isn’t handling drag-and-drop in a piece of the window, which makes it non-obvious how to add auctions.

There’s also a memory leak in the version which has colored text in the main display, but the memory leak is someplace deep in the Swing HTML libraries. I’m hoping 1.3 fixes that.

The code is being build mainly with Jikes, although I try ‘javac’ again every so often, to make sure there’s nothing incompatible being put in.

It’s very clean code, in my opinion, and remarkably resiliant.

Ongoing goals are: release a pre-alpha version for people to try, thread the updates, clean up a lot of the HTML parsing so more conditions are recognized, fix it so that it doesn’t load all the auctions before starting, encrypt your configuration information on disk, and consider adding more auction sites (Yahoo, Amazon, etc.), since the code DOES support that relatively easily.

Please feel free to comment, and file feature requests!

— Morgan Schweers

Mar 29, 2000

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Initial note on JBidwatcher

Greetings,

The goal is to have something that is usable under Windows and Linux (meaning in this case supporting drag and drop from Netscape under both), and at least somewhat clean looking for the first release. The current show stoppers for doing a first-pass release are bug 103650 (Drag and Drop from Netscape under Linux crashes) and bug 103646 (downloads all auctions before starting UI). Bug 103647 (not able to bid) is not critical for an initial release.

I’d encourage people to check the code out of CVS and take a look. It’s very clean code right now, and the goal is to keep it that way. I’d love to hear bug reports / comments / ideas, and certainly code!

— Morgan Schweers (cyberfox@users.sourceforge.net)

Mar 23, 2000

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Welcome to Help

Welcome to Help

Mar 23, 2000

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Development / Welcome to Developers

Welcome to Developers

1 2 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 313 Next →