Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 7,811 post(s) found

Oct 12, 2002
Avatar (SF) Peter Lehr 3 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Web-based installation possible?

Hello.
I want upload JBidWatch on my webspace(Linux-Apache Webserver), not a local installation on my home computer. How can i start this program ; program-design of the html file, and settings in the configuration tool.
Thanks for your help.
Peter Lehr

Oct 7, 2002
Avatar Morgan Schweers 1,200 post(s)

Greetings,
I’m not exactly sure what you mean…

Web-based installation? Is this a Linux account you want to install it in? Give me some more information about your situation, and how you want to run the program, and I’ll try to help as best I can!

— Morgan Schweers, CyberFOX!

Oct 6, 2002
Avatar (SF) Peter Lehr 3 post(s)

Hello
I am absolute Java beginner. I would like to install JBidWatch on my account. Is a Web-based installation possible?
Greetings
Peter Lehr

Sep 28, 2002

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Potential new features...

There are a lot of good code side things you listed, but on the user side, here are the ones that sound the most helpful to me:

12/15 + use my ebay sync to check what max bid is.

18: ID as ASCI, and an import option for them would be nice IMHO.

Mind if I ask a side question? (e-mail if you want, or don’t answer if ya don’t want to) Do any Linux work, or are you mostly a Windows person?

Thanks for the great program – very cool and useful,

Ryan

Sep 23, 2002
Avatar (SF) Paul Gr... 4 post(s)

Please see my feedback below

1. Instant Pay by PayPal (Right Click -> Pay Now!)
I would just launch the https://www.paypal.com page. I’m nervous enough about PayPal to begin with…

2. Add more ‘Auction Management’ features (mark as paid, shipped, etc.)
These would be nice features. A link to a shipping calculators would be nice as well (USPS, UPS, FedEx)

3. Send email to (Bidder | Seller) for won/sold auctions.
eBay/PayPal does this well enough already. I don’t think it worth your effort.

4. Instant Messager messages on snipe results.
I don’t use IM. The ability to send email on this would be nice – IE mail to a cell phone or pager.

5. Wriet a structural and architectural commentary.
OK but only when you are done

6. Generate a dependency graph.
Code or Auctions? For code there are tools that do this already.

7. Break up AuctionInfo into AuctionInfo values, and AuctionInfoStorage.
no comment

8. XMLify configuration file.
it’s OK by me now…

9. Break debugging out of JConfig? (For dependency reasons.)
no comment

10. Make AuctionsManager a listener for an ‘AddAuction’ event, to break UI dep.
no comment

11. Abstract the idea of an AuctionList? (Same reason, create
a ‘GUIAuctionList’)
no comment

12. Provide a sum for the price for all selected auctions, for active auctions
it’s the max bid you’ve got listed with JBidwatcher. For closed auctions, it’s
the actual amount charged.
OK

13. Multiple select for Information, Show Comments, and ‘View in Browser’ if you are using the local browser handler. This would show ‘Next’,
‘Prev’, ‘View eBay Page’ links, for example.

Yes, good idea

14. Keys: Delete should tie to Auction | Delete, Insert should tie to Auction
| Add, CTRL-PageUp/PageDown might go to Next/Prev tab

Delete should also delete the watched item from My eBay

15. Reserve (Met | Not Met) Icons, Paid-status Icons, PayPal accepted, & more.
Yes!!!

16. Viewing Comments w/o Show Information. (Tooltip-style comments?)
no comment

17. Q: What’s up with Opera? (A: I don’t know why it doesn’t work w/ JBW!)
no comment

18. Send Auction List to other computer. (Dump the XML to it, or just item IDs?)

dump list so it can be imported on another machine.

19. Allow searching through the saved HTML files, including the descriptions?
OK but no critical.

Other ideas -
List in status number of views of an item being sniped in addition to number of bids.

Thanks again for a great program! BTW, I switched to WinXp and it works great for me!

Sep 21, 2002

Greetings,
Note that those are not in any particular order! (Well, they’re in the order that they came to mind while brainstorming about new features.)
— Morgan

Sep 21, 2002

Greetings,
In addition to a lot of the stuff in the feature list, these are ones I’ve bandied about and am considering. I’d REALLY like feedback on this!

1. Instant Pay by PayPal (Right Click -> Pay Now!)
2. Add more ‘Auction Management’ features (mark as paid, shipped, etc.)
3. Send email to (Bidder | Seller) for won/sold auctions.
4. Instant Messager messages on snipe results.
5. Wriet a structural and architectural commentary.
6. Generate a dependency graph.
7. Break up AuctionInfo into AuctionInfo values, and AuctionInfoStorage.
8. XMLify configuration file.
9. Break debugging out of JConfig? (For dependency reasons.)
10. Make AuctionsManager a listener for an ‘AddAuction’ event, to break UI dep.

11. Abstract the idea of an AuctionList? (Same reason, create a ‘GUIAuctionList’)

12. Provide a sum for the price for all selected auctions, for active auctions it’s the max bid you’ve got listed with JBidwatcher. For closed auctions, it’s the actual amount charged.

13. Multiple select for Information, Show Comments, and ‘View in Browser’
if you are using the local browser handler. This would show ‘Next’,
‘Prev’, ‘View eBay Page’ links, for example.

14. Keys: Delete should tie to Auction | Delete, Insert should tie to Auction | Add, CTRL-PageUp/PageDown might go to Next/Prev tab

15. Reserve (Met | Not Met) Icons, Paid-status Icons, PayPal accepted, & more.
16. Viewing Comments w/o Show Information. (Tooltip-style comments?)
17. Q: What’s up with Opera? (A: I don’t know why it doesn’t work w/ JBW!)
18. Send Auction List to other computer. (Dump the XML to it, or just item IDs?)
19. Allow searching through the saved HTML files, including the descriptions?

— Morgan Schweers, Cyberfox!

Sep 12, 2002

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Thanks for the .9pre1 release!

Greetings,
It should work with any JRE from 1.2.2 on, but I haven’t gone back and tested 1.2.2 in a long while.

You’re very welcome! As soon as I started getting reports, I felt it was really important to get a fix out for my users. Thankfully, this is exactly what the auto-updater was intended for! Also thank you very much for the donation! It is always appreciated. My users donations, and the pride that users find my work worth donating to, have gotten me through some dark times.

— Morgan Schweers

Sep 12, 2002

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / So far, so good.

Greetings,
Thanks, and I’m glad your sniping went well!

I’d love to have the help, I’ve been a little low on time lately because of integration at work (we got bought), so I haven’t really done that much. The eBay bidding thing was huge, though, and had to get done. Actually, if you do look at the code, and decide that it’s too ugly to work with, I’d love to hear comments as to what’s wrong with it. I’ve gotten a few, and they all make it better, so I even like hearing criticism!

— Morgan Schweers

Sep 11, 2002

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / So far, so good.

Well, after having tried iSnipeIt with many problems (it crashed once, and hasn’t init or even run since then) I gave up on sniping.

Then, I found this app… it’s not too shabby. I’ve tried it once, so far, on an auction where I ended up being the only bidder. Now, obviously I won… but I can tell that it works nicely.

Actually, since I’m a java developer (I primarly write dynamic servlet-based apps) I may stick my toe in the waters and see if I can lend some help. Of course, I’ll have to see what the code looks like, first… ;)

Anyway, so far, so good…

Sep 8, 2002

Not too long before the ebay problem, I put in JRE 1.4.1-rc. So yesterday I pulled out 1.4.1-rc, put back 1.3.1, etc. Looked around more today, and saw the nice new .9pre1 – works great with either JRE. :) Thanks for the quick change to have ebay working again. – Great program too! – Just sent you a small bit of $.

Jul 16, 2002

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / HTML Frontend

Greetings,
Go to JBidwatcher’s configuration, and turn on ‘Use internal web server’, and have your browser go to:

http://localhost:9099/jbidwatcher

the username and password it prompts for are your default auction site (eBay) username/password. Don’t worry, it’s only sending it to your own machine.

Anyhow, that’s what I’ve got for right now… I want to make a better version of that, with some improved HTML eventually, but I built that because I wanted some minimum of remote control…

What sort of other things would you like to see in an HTML interface? (Or did you mean something else?)

— Cyberfox

Jul 16, 2002
Avatar (SF) Thorste... 2 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / HTML Frontend

How do you think about a html frontend?
I think it would be nice to run your application on a webserver. After a first look i’m hopefully that there are not many extensions needed (beside off the jsps).

Jun 4, 2002

Greetings,
You’re very welcome! Outside of coding changes and fixes, the best help I get comes in the form of bug reports, as you’ve already filed.

Thanks muchly, and I hope the program continues to be one that you like using!

— Cyberfox

May 27, 2002
Avatar (SF) Paul Gr... 4 post(s)

Thanks for a cool program. I was looking at the retail and online programs but didn’t want to pay and I was worried about sharing my password with the online sites. I had actually thought about writing something in perl or whatnot but JBidWatcher is perfect! Thanks again Morgan, let me know if I can help!

P.

Nov 20, 2001

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Working on 0.7 release

Greetings,
The 0.7pre2 version in CVS SHOULD be the final version for 0.7 release. I’ve started working at a new job, which is sucking my time away from JBidwatcher. Hopefully I’ll find a few spare moments to finish up and do the full release.

I also have a ‘quick start’ guide which I’ve written to a few eBay users, giving details on how to download the JRE and JBidwatcher, and get it up and running. I’ll be putting that in the docs section soon, and then on the web page as well. Sorry about the delay folx, but having a job again after 6-7 months is definitely taking my attention. wry grin We’ll have a 0.7 out soon, and it WILL include a fully functional multisnipe!

— Cyberfox!

Oct 3, 2001

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Time Sync not working right

Greetings,
Actually, figureDate uses an auction-site specific date/time string to convert the date. eBay’s is “EEEE, MMM dd, yyyy HH:mm:ss z” which includes the timezone at the end there.

Setting my timezone under Windows to EDT, I see the problem you’re referring to. For the time display on the main page what’s really being displayed is the time in your local timezone adjusted for the drift between your local clock and

eBay’s server time.

Things like sniping are handled correctly, for instance, but the display looks odd. In fact, everything will behave as if eBay is in your local timezone, and will work just fine based on that. Unfortunately, that’s disconcerting when compared to looking at the actual eBay pages. The issue with keeping the displayed time synchronized with eBay is that I don’t keep updating the eBay time every second (of course). Instead I update regularly, every half hour to correct for any potential drift and recalibrate for changing page-load times. I believed what I had to do was add code to simply set the resultant timeZone to the correct one, but in digging deeper, I’ve realized that I addressed this problem before…and failed to do it correctly. The Calender class under Java incorrectly handles timezones being imported from a Date object. Instead, it sets the timezones to the local time zone no matter what. The problem is actually in setOfficialTimeDifference. I don’t know how to fix it just now, but I’m working on it. Sorry it doesn’t work right. I’ll try to get it fixed before 0.6, which is a release I’m working on right now. 0.6 will fix the new login problems with eBay, add a bunch of cleanups to the UI and code, and a few other useful features. This bug is now on the list as well. Thank you very much for taking the time to report problems! I can add features in a vacuum, but unless I see a bug myself, without anybody reporting bugs I can’t fix them. — Morgan Schweers, Cyberfox

Oct 3, 2001

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Time Sync not working right

I note that figureDate() keeps bringing the date in in the local time zone. That’s affecting the “official time” display on the GUI.

Fixing this means making assumptions about the date format (e.g., picking up the last “word” from ebay, and making a TimeZone from it.)

Jun 1, 2001

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Snipe time too long...

Greetings,
I agree, 30 seconds is generally too long. Especially with a DSL or Cable connection.

The main issue is that in order to bid, it needs to submit a preliminary bid to eBay, get the resultant page, and submit another page to do the bid. While this is USUALLY a very quick operation, I found that under bad circumstances it can take about 15 seconds to do all that on a 28.8K modem. I doubled that, in order to give a safe overhead. In the code, as you’ve probably seen, I’ve actually gone as far as to give EVERY individual auction it’s own snipe time. All it would take is a bit more UI work in order to present a friendly display to the end-user that lets them set their own snipe value. I definitely need to do more work on the configuration options screens… However, I’ve recently found myself unemployed and basically broke. This leaves me in the position of not really doing anything on eBay for a while. If you’re using JBidWatcher, PLEASE use the CVS version! The currently released version may have trouble with eBay’s current pages and such. Anyhow, hopefully I’ll get to doing the extra UI work soon. If you have the desire to put something together, I’d be VERY happy to look at patches adding this capability to the program! Thanks muchly for your comments! — Cyberfox

Jun 1, 2001

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Snipe time too long...

Just a thought… add a config option for user defined time to snipe from end of auction, 30 seconds is way too long (if safe). I just changed it to a 3 second delay, hope it works. heheh.

Neat proggie, by the way. Still looking it over.
Cheers

Apr 11, 2001

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / First run? - beginer with java

Hi,
I would like to use your java program on our new auction (we are using PHPauction), but how can I run your software?
I instaled IBM’s JRE 1.1.8 and how can I run it? How can I run jBidWatch from HTML browser for visitors?

C:\>java JBidWatch-0.4.5.jar
Can’t find class JBidWatch-0/4/5/jar

C:\jbid>java JBidWatch.class
Can’t find class JBidWatch/class

C:\jbid2>java JBidWatch.java
Can’t find class JBidWatch/java

Thanks for help.

Jan 10, 2001

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Is JBidWatch 0.4 Running finally

Greetings,
Erk, unfortunately I made a bad presumption on the format of eBay’s auction id’s… I knew it was wrong before I released 0.4, but I didn’t expect them to change it that quickly. That’ll make it fail for almost any form of auction adding.

The CVS version already has the patch to work correctly with the new eBay ID’s, but I haven’t made a release version yet. The problem under Solaris has me baffled. I need to borrow a friends Solaris box and hack on it, unless someone else has any ideas… — Morgan Schweers

Jan 8, 2001
Avatar (SF) Ken Kir... 3 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Is JBidWatch 0.4 Running finally

Tried it on my Linux box. Doesnt work worth a damn with Kaffe, but I did get it to run using Sun’s JRE 1.3. I successfully added an auction to the list. It was painful though. Adding an auction by typing in the auction ID has yet to work for me. At any rate, the .jar file does seem to load using RH7.0 and JRE1.3. I could not compile the JBidWatch.java files. I am a complete Java novice, so maybe thats the problem. I did compile successfully under windows. it just didnt work. :-P

Jan 6, 2001

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Is JBidWatch 0.4 supposed to work cross plat?

oops.. forgot to mention that I am using JDK v1.3 in Windows 98SE.

Jan 6, 2001

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Is JBidWatch 0.4 supposed to work cross plat?

I am having the same problem as Larry. I am using the jdk v1.3. I’ve tried both the .jar distro and compiling the .java source with the same result. JBidWatch starts up, I configure it, save my changes, then the Mascot logo pops up, goes away, and the debug menu starts scrolling “Asking for: ebay.synchronize, returning: false”. I tried setting sync to true in the config file and that just continues to scroll the same thing except it ends in “true” instead of false. Thats all I can get it to do, even after leaving it for several minutes.

I have not tried it on my linux box (RH7) just yet.

-Ken