Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 7,910 post(s) found

Oct 30, 2003

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / which currency will it bid in ???

oops just read the FAQ on the actual program….. who would have thought to find useful information regarding questions there???
i hate stupid people like me..

ps love this program it ROCKS!!!

Oct 30, 2003

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / which currency will it bid in ???

if i wish to bid on an item from another country (US) will it bid in US dollars? or australian dollars? does anyone know??
thanks
z

Oct 25, 2003

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Mac OS X Panther 10.3 JbidWatcher not start

Jbidwatcher will not fully launch for me.
Just installed Mac 10.3 Panther.
Looks like it launches but nothing shows up.
Will not quit, have to force quit.
Tried deleting the jbid folder in home directory… still nothing.
Please help.

Oct 2, 2003

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Rebuild XML from saved auctions?

I had some trouble (OS X and java) and hence had to delete the invisible .jbidwatch folder for a clean start. Is there any way to recover/reclaim the backuped saved auctions? I copied them to their original position, but they are not shown. So is there any way to recreate the xml file?
I tried a “local” search like
http://127.0.0.1/~username/.jbidwatch/savedauctions/
which does not work – but would be quite handy…
I use past auctions alot to determine “market prices”.
regards,
strunx

Sep 22, 2003
Avatar Morgan Schweers 1,204 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Feature Request - Buy It Now Price

Greetings,

Seller rating (after seller name okay?) – Check, it’ll take a bit of work but should be doable.

Buy It Now price in its own column (sortable?). Status column is for those little status icons.

PayPal acceptance indication. I’d have to only check for stuff like the PayPal logo. I can’t make JBidwatcher figure out that variants of ‘I don’t accept any payment other than PayPal’ is any different than ‘I don’t accept PayPal’… If I just go with their logo, though, it should be fine.

(Some day, I really want to add one-click payment via PayPal… They’d probably hate me, though. :) )

— Morgan Schweers, CyberFOX!

Sep 22, 2003

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Feature Request: Seller rating

Greetings,
Yes, the rating is something I should be capturing… I need to add that to the list somehow, and display it. It’s possible for feedback to be private, and I have to handle that somehow also…

Sep 22, 2003

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / disjunctive queries

Greetings,
They should work just fine… That’s odd. Maybe I’m not sending something quite right to them.

— Morgan

Sep 22, 2003

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / How to specify only one country

Greetings,
Yes, and no.

It’s not possible ‘directly’ in the program.

However, if you go to eBay, and use their advanced search forms, it will eventually take you to the first page of your results.

You then copy that URL from the location bar on your browser using right-click copy, or whatever your platform uses to copy something to the clipboard.

Then, in JBidwatcher, bring up the Search Manager. (Click on the binoculars, for example.) There’s a drop-down at the bottom, which you’ll want to change to ‘URL Load’. Then, in the text entry next to it, paste the URL you copied from the location bar.

Click ‘Add’, or ‘Search’ to add it and run it immediately. In the ‘Saved searches’ display will be the search you added, with ‘New Search’ next to it.

You can schedule it, rename it, edit it, and whatever else you’d like to do, now.

That’s the best I can do, short of reimplementing the entire eBay ‘search’ setup functionality.

Sep 21, 2003
Avatar (SF) Paul Gr... 4 post(s)

oops , sorry – I would also like to see in status a “accepts paypal” icon.

Thanks again,
P.

Sep 21, 2003
Avatar (SF) Paul Gr... 4 post(s)

I second the last request for seller rating. I would also like to see the buy it now price – this could be a separate column or next to the BIN logo in the status column.

Thanks!
P.

Aug 29, 2003
Avatar (SF) stuart ... 2 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / How to specify only one country

I only want to see lisitings in the Uk in GBP only. Is this possible?

Stuart

Aug 1, 2003

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Source Documentation

Is there any source code documentation available? Some documents about concepts to get an overview of the code?

Jul 10, 2003
Avatar (SF) Just Ha... 3 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / disjunctive queries

A search like “x5150 -refill” works on Ebay…but I cant seem to get in working in JBidWatcher. I may be doing this wrong. How does one do it?

Jul 8, 2003
Avatar (SF) Roger T... 3 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / EBay changes webpages, no fun until ???

Oh, sorry didn’t know that a new version was available until just now, my problems were with the prior release (they were only minor in any case). Trying the new version now.

Time and price tracking are sufficient, my other bidding methods will work fine with that information available.

Ebay’s long term intention is to eliminate programs such as jBidwatcher (they want their own product utilized). But I happened to have successfully dealt with such intentions in the past, theses sorts of page changes will continue to periodically happen, but persevere! Ebay eventually buys whatever it cannot dissuade, e.g. Paypal, Auctionwatch, etc…

Jul 7, 2003

Greetings,
Okay, unfortunately, while I’ve managed to get the parsing mostly working, bidding (and therefore sniping) has an issue. It works, but it will never recognize that it works when it actually does it.

You’ll regularly get this message:

Bidding apparently failed for an unknown reason. Check the auction in the browser, to see if the bid went through anyway.

The bid will most likely have gone through. The problem is that while eBay was really nice, and provided the &bibo=1 mode for a while, what they didn’t do is treat the buying process the same. The bidding process now goes to a redirect, which brings you back to the original page.

Firstly, I don’t do redirects in the current version, so the text it gets is blank. Secondly, if I tell Java to follow the redirects, it doesnt’ re-send the cookie data to the new page, so it doesn’t load everything the way it should.

Anyhow, snipes and bidding will work, they just won’t SEEM to work for a little bit. I’ll have that fixed in a day or so, and release a 0.9.2, but in the mean time, everything should work, just…it won’t seem to.

sigh

Bear with me folks, this is frustrating for all.

Jul 7, 2003

0.9.1 worked for me.

Jul 7, 2003

Greetings,
Eeek! Is the 0.9.1 version failing to load items for you? It’s supposed to handle the new site.

Please give me item numbers, so I can test!

Jul 7, 2003

Well, Ebays new webpages break the parser. Pull out your backup snipe techniques, and hourglasses. Chill out, I’m sure Cyberfox will be quick, don’t pester him.

Jun 23, 2003

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Feature Request: Seller rating

In the "SELLER column, could you also display the sellers feedback rating? For instance:

mr.good.box (0)

TIA.

Except for the separate current/complete pages, I find it much better than the current bidwatcher. When bidding at the last minute, it is very helpful to see the past history (i.e. prices) of similar items (in a complete auction of course).

Jun 18, 2003
Avatar (SF) Sherman... 3 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / 0.9 - error loading login page

or maybe the problem is that I’m behind an iptables firewall. The firewall allows any connection initiated by me, but would stop a connection initiated by ebay …

Jun 18, 2003

I’m afraid that this isn’t the problem. I’ve double checked both the username and password …

Maybe it’s my web borwser, Mozilla?

Jun 17, 2003

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Icons checked in as NON BINARY

Greetings,
Fixed… I hate that about CVS… I managed to get it right for all the .class files I include, and the logo, and stuff, but I plain forgot for the icons.

Plus fixing it is a pain in the butt, I had to
cvs rm -f *.gif
then copy the images over from another directory, and
cvs add -kb *.gif
then
cvs commit
before it worked.

Jun 17, 2003

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Icons checked in as NON BINARY

Hello,
i have checked out the jbidwatcher CVS tree on a windows platform and have found that nearly all images (icons) are destroyed. The reason for this is that they are checked in as NON BINARY, so during checkout the CR/LF tranformation destroyes them. Please could you check them in binary?

Thanks,
Ulrich

Jun 12, 2003

Greetings,

On June 9, eBay changed their login process to require your actual username, instead of just your email address, UNLESS your email address IS your username. If you had set up JBidwatcher with your email address instead of your username, this is exactly the problem that would occur.

I’ll be documenting that, hopefully, in the next version.

Jun 10, 2003

Running 0.9 on Win XP I get the following errors:

Tue Jun 10 09:04:44 GMT-07:00 2003: Error loading page: http://signin.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll
Tue Jun 10 09:04:44 GMT-07:00 2003: Error loading page: http://signin.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll
java.io.IOException: Server returned HTTP response code: 400 for URL: http://signin.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll
at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(Unknown Source)
at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getHeaderFieldKey(Unknown Source)
at CookieJar.getAllCookiesFromPage(Unknown Source)
at CookieJar.getAllCookiesAndPage(Unknown Source)
at ebayServer.getSignInCookie(Unknown Source)
at ebayServer.getNecessaryCookie(Unknown Source)
at AuctionServer.getAuction(Unknown Source)
at AuctionServer.loadAuction(Unknown Source)
at AuctionServer.reloadAuction(Unknown Source)
at AuctionEntry.update(Unknown Source)
at Auctions.m8(Unknown Source)
at Auctions.m9(Unknown Source)
at Auctions.check(Unknown Source)
at Auctions.check(Unknown Source)
at AuctionsManager.m1(Unknown Source)
at AuctionsManager.check(Unknown Source)
at TimerHandler.run(Unknown Source)
Tue Jun 10 09:04:44 GMT-07:00 2003: Error loading the eBay sign-in page!

It seems to be able check auctions, but it can’t do anything that requires a login.

Thanks for reading,

Sherman Boyd