Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 7,903 post(s) found

Mar 22, 2004
Avatar (SF) Don Har... 9 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Can't open Mozilla

OK I figured it out. For some reason you need to put "" like this “C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~2\FIREFOX.EXE” -url “%1” . This does not break IE 6. Hope this gets to you in time for the next version.
Thanks again for a great program.
Don

Mar 22, 2004
Avatar Morgan Schweers 1,204 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Build JBidWatcher from source

Greetings,
Right now I recommend using ‘make’. I haven’t tested the ‘ant’ build in a while. I’ve been keeping it up to date, but I’m not sure it works.

My primary build environment is xemacs + jikes + command line. I’m afraid Eclipse, XCode, and JBuilder all have difficulties with my build setup. I’ll see if I can get the ant build working soon.

I’ve made a lot of CVS changes lately.

— Morgan Schweers, CyberFOX!

Mar 19, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Build JBidWatcher from source

Hi there,

I just checked out the JBidWatcher sources from CVS and tried to compile them into a jar file with ANT and the build.xml. Ant is running ok with no errors but when I try to execute the jar I get errors about the “com.apple. …” classes not being found. But the folder “com” actually is in the jar file, java just doesn’t seem to find or look for the class files inside.

Has anyone got a tip on how to build JBidWatcher from CVS?

David

Mar 11, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / HTML Interface

Hello,
I’ve been using your program for quite a while and really enjoy the enhancements you’ve made to it.

What I would like to know is if you plan to enhance the HTML Interface in the next version? If not, would you mind if I made some enhancements and submitted them to you? I’ve already coded a fix for Bug 844101, because I need to use JBidwatcher through Apache using mod_proxy. I’ve also made a “current” page that only lists the current auctions. These have all been simple changes. I would really like to add the ability to multi-snipe, but that is a much more complex change and I wouldn’t want to do it if I’d need to re-do it with each version. Thanks for the great program!

Dan

Feb 25, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Ebay associated site

Hello, developpers and others,
We have in Brazil an “associated” auctions site called “mercadolivre” – http://www.mercadolivre.com.br.
Is it possible to make JBidwatcher works with this auction site? What the changes/setup possibilities available to get it running with it?

Thanks a lot,

RSalles

Feb 22, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / HTTPS/SSL

Morgan,

Thanks for the reply. I didn’t realize how insecure ebay is/was being. I guess that I will just have to make sure that my enay password is different from any other password I use. Even just encrypting the login process would be nice though. BTW, why are some users forced into using old JRE’s? And are you looking for any help with this project?

Mark

Feb 21, 2004

Greetings,
Mainly because Java doesn’t support the https transport until around 1.4.1. I have a lot of users still using 1.3.x, and a few using 1.2.2. I try to preserve backwards compatibility as best as I can.

Now, the last time I looked into this was late 2002, and eBay’s https support was abysmal. It was just for the login, and then they basically spit back an encoded string in the non-encrypted sessions which was completely replayable. Bidding, My eBay, watching, etc., didn’t use https pages, so the data was sent in the cookies and the URLs. You can read my semi-rant on the topic here:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=608132&group_id=3914&atid=353914

I haven’t tried since then to see if things have changed. I imagine they have, and I’d have to see if it’s enough to fully support https.

The other note is that while at some point I’d like to be able to say that Java 1.4.1 or later is required, I can’t yet. This potentially means using Reflection for figuring out whether the JRE supports https or not, and stuff like that. I’ve tried hard to keep version dependencies out of JBidwatcher. It’s not 100% possible, but I do try.

Feb 21, 2004

Why does jbidwatcher not use HTTPS for transport of username/password to the ebay site?

Thanks
Mark

Feb 20, 2004

Ok now I have broken mine too. I upgraded to firefox and my bidwatcher can’t launch it. I think it may have to do with popup blocking. But that is just a guess.

Thanks Don

Feb 12, 2004

Thanks for the reply.
DIR C:\\PROGRA~1\\MOZILLA.ORG\\MOZILLA\\MOZILLA.EXE

The computer name specifide in the network path cannot be located

If I leave out the \\ and put in \ it does find the file. Not familiar with the \\ will have to look that up.

Hope you are felling better. Don

Feb 12, 2004

Greetings,
Yeah, I’ve got a fix for the ‘selling items’ problem. The other is strange… If you go to a command-line window, and type:

DIR C:\\PROGRA~1\\MOZILLA.ORG\\MOZILLA\\MOZILLA.EXE

does it find a file?

Feb 12, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / UserID/Password error...

Greetings,
You have to go into the Configuration display (File | Configure, or click the checkbox icon on the toolbar), and set your username and password in the eBay tab. Don’t see an eBay tab? You’re probably using the latest Panther (MacOSX), which hid the extra tabs in a tabbed list in a not-very-intuitive right-arrow-looking menu. It’s a solution to a bad UI problem, but I don’t like it personally.

Anyhow, once you’ve entered something other than ‘default’ into the user and password fields, that error message shouldn’t show up anymore.

I’m going to see if I can put it into an earlier tab, but as auction servers (like eBay) are dynamically added after the tab list is created it might be a bit difficult. This problem is annoying, though.

Feb 9, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / UserID/Password error...

I set up the software successfully on my home computer, but at work, I get the following error (copied the whole error log):

Mon Feb 09 10:18:42 EST 2004: Getting the sign in cookie.
Mon Feb 09 10:18:43 EST 2004: Done Getting the sign in cookie.
Mon Feb 09 10:18:43 EST 2004: Cannot load My eBay pages without a userid and password.

In looking over the configuration, it appears that the password is encrypted. But the documentation says it is plain text.

This seems to affect My eBay, but suspect that it would also affect being able to place a bid as well. Anyone seen this issue? And how to correct?

thanks!
Paul

Feb 1, 2004

I can’t get bidwatch to open Mozilla on my wifes machine. Mozilla is the default browser. It will launch from the command line. Here is what is in the error log.

Sun Feb 01 13:38:37 MST 2004: Getting the sign in cookie.
Sun Feb 01 13:38:40 MST 2004: Done Getting the sign in cookie.
Sun Feb 01 13:38:41 MST 2004: Found a suspicious tag @ 345… ()
Sun Feb 01 13:38:56 MST 2004: Found a suspicious tag @ 344… ()
Sun Feb 01 13:39:09 MST 2004: Found a suspicious tag @ 344… ()
Sun Feb 01 13:39:14 MST 2004: Found a suspicious tag @ 345… ()
Sun Feb 01 13:39:22 MST 2004: Found a suspicious tag @ 345… ()
Sun Feb 01 13:39:53 MST 2004: Launching browser
java.io.IOException: CreateProcess: C:\\PROGRA~1\\MOZILLA.ORG\\MOZILLA\\MOZILLA.EXE -url “http://www.jbidwatcher.com” error=0
at java.lang.Win32Process.create(Native Method)
at java.lang.Win32Process.(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Runtime.execInternal(Native Method)
at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Unknown Source)
at BrowserLauncher.openURL(BrowserLauncher.java:560)
at JBConfig.launchBrowser(JBConfig.java:46)
at JConfigBrowserTab$2.actionPerformed(JConfigBrowserTab.java:107)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$ForwardActionEvents.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

The machine is win 98se mozilla 1.6. It will launch IE fine. Java seems to be set up the same as on my machine and it works with firebird browser. It may be in the way java is setup.

Is there a guide to setting up java runtime that should be followed?

I like this program a lot and hope you can get it sorted out. Also it will not import selling items. Don’t think that is related but just in case it is watch items works fine.

Thanks Don

Jan 8, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / My eBay from work computer.

Hi!

Just found your program last night and am finding it very interesting so far. I have a home setup that works great so I decided to try and get it working at work but am having a problem.

Work setup. Win XP. Sun Java Plug-In 1.3.1_02. JBidWatcher (0.9.3pre1)

When trying to retreive the my eBay data nothing happens.

Here is the log file:
Thu Jan 08 09:32:13 CST 2004: Getting the sign in cookie.
Thu Jan 08 09:32:21 CST 2004: Found a suspicious tag @ 3480… (emoFirstamEagle.gif’ height=75 width=128>Your Message Has Be)
Thu Jan 08 09:32:21 CST 2004: Done Getting the sign in cookie.
Thu Jan 08 09:32:22 CST 2004: Found a suspicious tag @ 9089… (ubmit" name=“placebid” value=“Place Bid >”>)
Thu Jan 08 09:32:24 CST 2004: Found a suspicious tag @ 9065… (ubmit" name=“placebid” value=“Place Bid >”>)
Thu Jan 08 09:32:29 CST 2004: Found a suspicious tag @ 344… ()
Thu Jan 08 09:32:36 CST 2004: Getting the sign in cookie.
Thu Jan 08 09:32:43 CST 2004: Found a suspicious tag @ 3480… (emoFirstamEagle.gif’ height=75 width=128>Your Message Has Be)
Thu Jan 08 09:32:43 CST 2004: Done Getting the sign in cookie.
Thu Jan 08 09:32:43 CST 2004: Cannot load My eBay pages without a userid and password.
Thu Jan 08 09:32:55 CST 2004: Found a suspicious tag @ 344… ()
Thu Jan 08 09:32:55 CST 2004: Found a suspicious tag @ 345… ()
Thu Jan 08 09:32:59 CST 2004: Found a suspicious tag @ 344… ()
Thu Jan 08 09:34:05 CST 2004: Found a suspicious tag @ 9102… (ubmit" name=“placebid” value=“Place Bid >”>)
Thu Jan 08 09:34:22 CST 2004: Found a suspicious tag @ 9100… (ubmit" name=“placebid” value=“Place Bid >”>)
Thu Jan 08 09:36:23 CST 2004: Found a suspicious tag @ 345… ()
Thu Jan 08 09:36:23 CST 2004: Loaded 2584971492.
Thu Jan 08 09:36:28 CST 2004: Loaded 3577342518.
Thu Jan 08 09:36:28 CST 2004: Not loaded (url http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2584971492).
Thu Jan 08 09:36:33 CST 2004: Loaded 2580627141.
Thu Jan 08 09:36:41 CST 2004: Loaded 3375975316.
Thu Jan 08 09:36:44 CST 2004: Loaded 3578177467.
Thu Jan 08 09:36:47 CST 2004: Loaded 2371089177.

I see the suspicious tag line contains some gif that is from my company. Is this in somehow messing up the username and password? I can bid (so I know the username and password work here), search and snipe no problems. Is there anything I can tweak to get it to work that you know of?

Thanks,
GREG

Jan 2, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Is jbidwatcher working?

On the home page, there is an alert dated dec 04th stating that jbidwatcher is no longer working. When I click on the alert link, it brings me to the a news flash from nov. 24th saying 9.31pre fixes a problem.

I find this confusing. Is jbidwatcher 9.31pre working for snipes?

thanks for the great piece of software.

regards,
jd

Dec 21, 2003

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Bidding and Sniping in 0.9.3pre1.

Greetings,
For a period of time, eBay appeared to have broken sniping and bidding. It appears to be working again, but I’m afraid they’ll break it again.

On the other hand, I have to let people know that snipes WILL work right now… One known bug is that a bid on a reserve item that is under the reserve will appear to fail, even though it went through and you are the high bidder (albiet under the reserve!) Further, the color does not correctly reflect that while you are the high bidder you will NOT be winning the item. I’ve built a test-suite of auctions to list on eBay (Costs about $15 with all fees, so I’ll probably run it only once a week) which I can bid/snipe, etc., against, and test regularly. I’d like to build an automated test, since I can search for my seller’s account, and automatically identify the types from the auction title (reserve, private, bin, etc., is all encoded). This would make it much more efficient to find when they break something. The messed up thing here is that they UNBROKE it. I spent a while trying to figure out what they WERE doing, in case they re-rolled out the breakage, but couldn’t figure it out. For now, I’m redeclaring JBidwatcher usable. Stay tuned for updates…

— Morgan Schweers, a frustrated CyberFOX!

Dec 9, 2003

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Installing in Mandrake

Appreciate the help.

Once you set me straight on the path to the Java executable file, I was able to put the JBidWatcher .jar file on the desk top and then set up the application launcher (right click, choose “open with” then enter in the “open with” command line box: (path)/java -jar and check the “run in terminal” and “remember application association” boxes) to start the program when I click on the file.

Works fine and doing just what I want now. Thanks again.

Dec 6, 2003
Avatar (SF) Matt Pe... 2 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Parser suggestion(s)

I’m not sure exactly what the problem is, but coincidentally I’ve been looking into screen scraping for other purposes, and it looks like there are two pretty slick libraries for doing this.

Both are HTML parsers that convert to XML streams so you can use XPATH queries to find elements. The XPATH queries could possibly live in a config file, making updates easier.

Neko HTML:
http://www.apache.org/~andyc/neko/doc/html/

TagSoup:
http://mercury.ccil.org/~cowan/XML/tagsoup/

Dec 5, 2003
Avatar (SF) Robert ... 2 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Bidding/Sniping NOT working. Fix in progress.

btw – here’s the auction end time on my failure

Ends Dec-04-03 13:57:21 PST

like i said, the times seemed out of sync. my system is CST and clock set right. I did a couple of SyncTimeswithserver off of menu prior to snipe.

sorry putting bug info here, but wanted to see if bug or not first.

superloc

Dec 5, 2003
Avatar (SF) Robert ... 2 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Bidding/Sniping NOT working. Fix in progress.

Had a misfire today and then noted your alert :(. My failure showed up in “error” file as:

Thu Dec 04 15:48:11 CST 2003: Bidding $353.00 on…

MfcISAPICommand=MakeBid:…
html… MakeBidError
Sorry, but the item is no longer available because the auction has ended.

Thu Dec 04 15:48:43 CST 2003: Bad/nonexistent key read in bid, or connection failure!

I had 6 second config snipe time, so i’m assuming I should have made it with dsl.

As a result of looking through some of the code:

the initial “bidGetKey” function seemed to match up to ebay expectations (only thing i noticed out of place was a lack of &quant= field in 1st POST, probably optional). Initial getCookiesFromPage initial login/cookies acquistion looked ok at a glance comparing URLs. I didn’t get a chance to check the confirmation html beyond existence of key= and value=, so the problem may be there. The subsequent POST seems correct format. According to my “error”, the confirmation POST obviously failed, but the ebayAuctionID seems correct MfcISAPICommand=MakeBid&item=2768427727

Maybe I legitimately missed the snipe and you guys are coincidentally seeing something else (a real bug)?

The dates seemed a bit out of wack though… didn’t seem synced up.

sounds like you got it fixed in any case. i’m curious to find out what caused it.

Any way to create a more robust parser using javacc or something? (assuming changes to expected fields occurrd). Probably too much is changing, especially if larger grained problems with semantics or something. Is it impossible to dynamically adapt to ebay’s future changes?

Maybe we could get a test feature that does some sort of benign (almost) bid that verifies most of the bid will work (ebay needs a null auction item or something that can be operated on – they probably have them). A test bidding operation wouldn’t do much if things got wacked, but at least users would know it was down before failed snipe.

superloc

Dec 4, 2003

Do they change this to keep these programs out or they’re just updating their site?

Dec 4, 2003
Avatar (SF) Chad Cu... 2 post(s)

Hi,

If you installed the sun java, it’s probably installed somewhere in /usr/java. I don’t know about the jre, perhaps it’s in /usr/java/jre1.4.2_02 or something like that. Look around and find the bin directory that contains the java executable.

I don’t think that linux can launch jar files by double clicking them, I might be wrong. What I’d do is put the jbidwatcher jar somewhere like /usr/local/share/jbidwatcher-whatever.jar and then create a script called /usr/local/bin/jbidwatcher that looks like this:

#!/bin/sh

/usr/java/j2re-1.4.2_02/bin/java -jar /usr/local/share/jbidwatcher-whatever.jar

Substitute what the actual path is for where you found the java binary and the path for wherever the jar is. This would require you to be root to do.

After that you should be able to just type jbidwatcher to launch it.

Dec 4, 2003
Avatar (SF) Chad Cu... 2 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / error with snipe

I noticed this morning that jbidwatcher failed to snipe an auction that went for $62 and which I had a $75 max on. I looked in the log file and found this.

I see two relevant errors, not sure which one matters. There’s the error about not being able to connect to eBay and then the error saying the server redirected too many times. I’m thinking perhaps the error about not being able to connect was due to the too many redirects errors. I dunno, any thoughts?

Thu Dec 04 01:30:11 EST 2003: Bidding $75.00 on 1 item[s] of ViewSonic VB50HRTV Television Tuner
Thu Dec 04 01:30:15 EST 2003: Submitting: MfcISAPICommand=MakeBid&item=3061712480&maxbid=75.0&quant=1&userid=&key=$2$10389129$L7DiUTXaG7njIkr7siuLa/&javascriptenabled=1&mode=1&user=debtman7&pass=online
Thu Dec 04 01:30:43 EST 2003: Error loading page: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll
Thu Dec 04 01:30:43 EST 2003: Error loading page: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll
java.net.ProtocolException: Server redirected too many times (20)
at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:718)
at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getHeaderFieldKey(HttpURLConnection.java:1208)
at CookieJar.getAllCookiesFromPage(CookieJar.java:93)
at CookieJar.getAllCookiesFromPage(CookieJar.java:43)
at CookieJar.getAllCookiesFromPage(CookieJar.java:108)
at CookieJar.getAllCookiesAndPage(CookieJar.java:18)
at ebayServer.submitRealBid(ebayServer.java:802)
at ebayServer.bid(ebayServer.java:848)
at AuctionEntry.bid(AuctionEntry.java:1225)
at AuctionEntry.snipe(AuctionEntry.java:1122)
at Auctions.fireSnipe(Auctions.java:442)
at Auctions.doAllSnipes(Auctions.java:516)
at Auctions.check(Auctions.java:627)
at AuctionsManager.checkAuctions(AuctionsManager.java:86)
at AuctionsManager.check(AuctionsManager.java:119)
at TimerHandler.run(TimerHandler.java:60)
Thu Dec 04 01:30:43 EST 2003: Exception during the check() operation of class AuctionsManager
java.lang.NullPointerException
at JHTML.preParse(JHTML.java:145)
at JHTML.(JHTML.java:43)
at ebayServer.submitRealBid(ebayServer.java:805)
at ebayServer.bid(ebayServer.java:848)
at AuctionEntry.bid(AuctionEntry.java:1225)
at AuctionEntry.snipe(AuctionEntry.java:1122)
at Auctions.fireSnipe(Auctions.java:442)
at Auctions.doAllSnipes(Auctions.java:516)
at Auctions.check(Auctions.java:627)
at AuctionsManager.checkAuctions(AuctionsManager.java:86)
at TimerHandler.run(TimerHandler.java:60)

Nov 30, 2003

I am new to Linux and cannot get Jbidwatcher running. I have the jre installed (jre1.4.2_02), but when i click on the .jar I just get a list of files and when I enter the command line from the console I get a “command not found” message. I’m sure I’m just doing (or not doing) something stupid but I’d really like to have the program running. Thanks for the help.