Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 7,910 post(s) found

Jun 22, 2004
Avatar (SF) Scott S... 11 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Does Not Save or Exit in Windows XP

Well, I looked at a couple of the error logs, including one from tonight where it froze up on me and wouldnt quit, and the save button didnt do anything, and there was nothing in there – it just has a bunch of lines that say ‘updated xxx’, and ‘couldnt update xxx…’ (auction #’s) — there were no actual errors.

The entries in the log file stopped at the time of the freeze, so I assume it also was not updating any of the auctions.

It was however still counting down the times on each I believe.

I will start playing with the latest CVS version and see if this problem happens in that…

Jun 21, 2004
Avatar Morgan Schweers 1,204 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Tabs not working?

Greetings,
Hrm! Can you share a search with me, either here, or by email, that I can test it out on?

I’ve just been making a LOT of cleanup changes to the CVS version, including a change to the search URL, so it’s quite possible that I broke some subset of searches. I do test, and searches are working for me right now, including creating new tabs, but I might be doing a simpler or different search than yours.

Also, try the latest version from CVS, as I just made a bunch of changes to SearchManager and the general way that search results (and other stuff) gets added to the auction lists.

— Morgan Schweers, CyberFOX!

Jun 21, 2004

Greetings,
I’d very much like to get a copy of your error logs.

They’re generally stored in:
Documents and Settings\{username}\.jbidwatcher

If you can upload them and attach them to a bug report, I’d appreciate it a lot. It shouldn’t ever get to a point that it doesn’t allow save or exit.

It used to fail to accept close messages under MacOSX, because of a bug in the custom look and feel for OSX, but I found a workaround, so that’s fixed in the CVS version, and it shouldn’t have been an issue on Windows anyway.

Please upload any error logs, and I’ll check it out and see if I can’t figure out what went wrong…

Jun 21, 2004

Yes, searches work. I even tried a URL copied from ebay that returns results. What is interesting is that if I try the same searches in the ‘release’ jar file downloaded from the site, the tabs seem to work fine. They just dont work in the CVS. However the jar file version seems to hang for me after a while (when it does a time sync)…

Jun 21, 2004

Something I noticed – jBidWatcher seems to hang (not allowing save or exit) for me also, and I have found that it always seems to do it when it says at the bottom of the window that it is or has just syncronized time with ebay. This is after it has been running for a little while…

Jun 21, 2004

Greetings,
To note, since I wrote that I’ve fixed interactive auction additions so they ignore the deleted list, drag and drop on the ‘completed’ tab now inserts into ‘current’, and searches auto-save when you close the search manager window.

The big difficulties are the parsing eBay code (shipping and error recognition), and making completed items ‘sticky’ in their new tab.

Jun 21, 2004

Greetings,
I’m sorry, for some reason these messages weren’t emailed to me… I usually get notified when posts happen, so I can respond. sigh I’m so far behind in emails, too.

Mmmm… Yes, the error logs have no upper bound on ‘n’, so it’s not a bad idea to trim them every so often. However, if you have an instance where manual saving fails, without even a message, locating the most recent error log might be very helpful in determining why. It will probably have an exception logged, because that’s the only thing that would really stop it from saving.

ERF! IE shouldn’t DELETE the file contents, it should have only read it and (perhaps) failed to parse it, and left it alone.

I have to admit, 1700 auctions in the ‘saved’ space is high. One of the things I wanted to do was be able to generate a ‘window’ which just viewed the completed auctions. This would let me only load into memory the live auctions, and maybe ones completed within the last day or so. The rest would be stored, but not updated. It’ll require a pretty hefty change to my data model to do this, though. I definitely need to ‘time out’ deleted items, as well as delete the cached HTML + thumbnails when you delete an auction… Lots of cleanup stuff to do.

Thanks very much for the comments on the source! Sniper kitty was a fun addition, since I was going on vacation, and would be away on that day. I don’t very often get to do stuff that day that more than a few people notice. :)

As for (a) (b) and ©…

(a) I plan to eventually allow for ‘arbitrary columns’, so you could include a comment column, and place your rankings in the comments section. Then you could even sort by them… (Right now the ‘Select’ box allows searching in comments, which is a sometimes useful feature.)

(b) post-auction completion tracking is an important feature, and one I definitely want to get in. It relies a bit on user-definable columns, and the ability to edit data in the table on the fly. It’s complex, but it’s something I do want to do.

© Tell me what (non-proprietary please!) format you would like it exported to, and I can see what I can do. I’ve just implemented a preliminary (and kinda sketchy) print option in the CVS tree, which gives me the code to iterate over all the entries by row/column in the table, so I could probably export a CSV file now without much additional work, for instance.

Yeah, I never created a JBidwatcher icon because as yet I don’t have a decent installer for the Windows version. It’s one of the many things I need to do.

To be honest, while Windows has a HUGE userbase, it’s also one of the hardest to target decently. JBidwatcher currently runs on Windows in ‘raw JAR’ mode. I am considering purchasing a tool that creates a EXE file that wraps the java archive so that it looks like a Windows application, including embedded icon and everything. (It won’t make it faster, or not require a JRE, it’s still a .jar file internally, it just hides that.) When I go 1.0, I expect to have installers for Windows, Mac OSX (already done by a wonderful user, a while ago), and Linux, as well as the standard .jar versions for download on any other platform. Unfortunately, in order to do this, I really do need to buy a tool to create Windows-looking executables, as the majority of the Windows userbase isn’t as comfortable with .jar files, and the like.

I’m really glad the program is working well for you now, and please feel free to comment, or post up any other issues you’re having with it!

I’m actively working on getting a new version done, but work has just kicked into higher gear (we were blocked for weeks, and finally we got a new CEO who’s kicking some butt and getting things rolling).

My biggest issues right now are:

Make sure all interactive auction additions ignore the deleted list, while automatic additions respect it.

Determine how eBay is formatting the shipping values again, and fix the parsing to detect it.

Fix the broken detection of underbidded auctions. (Bid $4.01 for an item that has $4.0 as its current high bid, and you’re bidding under the minimum bid requirement. JBidwatcher doesn’t recognize the error that comes back for that, unfortunately.)

It should be impossible to drag and drop auctions to the ‘Completed’ tab, they should auto-redirect to ‘current’.

Completed items should be movable to other tabs, and be ‘sticky’ when they get there. (I.e. not move back to ‘completed’.).

Auto-save searches regularly, like I do for Auctions, so as to not lose new searches if JBidwatcher crashes due to a JVM or other error.

My one big new feature I’m working on right now is ‘print tab’.

A few cleanups to various displays, and a simply VAST amount of code cleanup has been done over the last few days.

Jun 21, 2004

Greetings,
Not to sound pedantic, but did you execute the searches, and did they return anything?

If nothing is found (either the search isn’t run, or the search returns nothing), no tabs are created… To be precise, they are created on the first instance of an auction being added that is associated with that search.

Jun 20, 2004

I downloaded and compiled the latest CVS version today, and it seems like tabs are flakey… When I first created a couple searches and renamed them, I saw two new tabs, then I deleted one of them, and created two more searches, and renamed, and no new tabs were created. It also did not show my search results anywhere! I tried several times, even quit and restarted jbidwatcher, and still I cant get new tabs to appear by creating searches…??
Am I missing something maybe?

May 30, 2004

I downloaded your JBidwatcher source code. I’m a hobbyist programmer learning design patterns, XML, and Java. I’ve learned a lot from the source code; thanks for making it available (and I never realized what a “special day” it was when I saw sniper kitty)!

It appears the Save/Exit problems I described above were occuring with the AuctionSave method. When doing an explicit Save, neither the success dialog – nor the failure dialog – appeared.

Now that I see how the auctions are serialized and written to disk, I’ll be in a position to report with more detail where the problem might be (should it occur again). But I don’t recall any error log entry of a failure to write the saved auctions.

Some additional features I would like to see: (a) ability to use my own icons in a “user defined” category (such as relative importance or to help further subdivide a tabbed set of auctions; (b) record that feedback has been left and payment made; and © exporting/archiving ability within the program (that would include the option of converting Java dates to date strings).

I don’t recall seeing a JBidwatcher icon file for the Windows desktop, so I resized the JBidwatcher.jpg image using Irfanview to create one. Looks good!

We had JBidwatcher working practically non-stop this holiday weekend, and it is fun and a pleasure to use…we made a donation through PayPal a while back and urge others that enjoy the program to do the same!

May 29, 2004

Well, I was opening auctions.xml in IE, IE gave me a parsing error message, and the file contents were deleted. Ouch!

Starting from scratch now JBidwatcher performs fine. My guess is that the auctions.xml file got too large (it had around 1700 auctions) or had some data glitch.

But if saves are unsuccessful, the user should be alerted as to why the save was unsuccessful.

We’ll start monthly maintenance to save old xml data and keep the file size down.

BTW, we get error files accumulating: errors.1.log, …. errors.n.log. I haven’t looked at your Java code, but is the program behaving correctly? Is there an upper limit on n? Or should we delete these occasionally?

May 26, 2004

We love JBidWatcher and recommend it to our friends. Have been using it about 3 months and its sniped dependably each time.

System is Windows XP Home, DSL connection.

Within the last few weeks have been getting flaky behavior:

Import new auctions and attempt to save auctions. The “Auctions Saved” confirmation does not appear and after a few seconds the File menu closes.

Later, File-Exit to close program. The Snipe warning comes up. Click OK, snipe warning goes away but program doesn’t close. Use Task Manager and get message that JBidWatcher is not responding.

Reopen JBidWatcher and the new auctions were not saved.

Haven’t been able to isolate what is causing this.

Occurs about half the time; and may occur in the same session in which auctions were earlier successfully saved.

May 23, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Ebay associated site

Greetings,
Mercado Livre uses a seperate item number ‘space’ than eBay, so the standard method of referring to eBay’s primary site doesn’t work.

You’d have to build a MLServer (Mercado Livre Server) class in Java that incorporated the recognition code for their auction pages.

It’s complex, but doable. For instance:
http://www.mercadolivre.com.br/jm/item?site=MLB&id=18847419

breaks down into the basic URL
http://www.mercadolivre.com.br/jm/item?site=MLB
and the item-specific CGI:
&id=18847419

This means that actually identifying any given item is easy enough.

You could search for:
Preço Fixo:
via getNextContentAfterContent() and you’d be getting the ‘fixed price’ for the item. I don’t know what auctions look like, but the HTML looks pretty straightforward.

You’d have to add the Real as a currency, but that’s also straightforward.

All told it’s doable, but I don’t know the language well enough to be comfortable doing it myself and being confident I’m right about what means what.

May 23, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Strange Auctions in Completed Tab

Greetings,
That’s REALLY strange. All I can guess is that you have ‘Sync with My eBay’ enabled in JBidwatcher or some other search enabled. The once-a-second sounds a LOT like a search of some sort.

May 23, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / UserID/Password error...

Greetings,
I have a test fix for this problem. It seems to work so far, but only a few people have tested it.

I’ll release it with the next version of JBidwatcher.

May 23, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Minor issues

Greetings,
You’re very welcome, I’m always glad to hear it’s working well for people!

I’m not sure how I’d manage to check that, since each run of Java is independant from the other, but I’ll keep it in the back of my mind and if I see a way, I’ll put it in.

I may just put in a ‘leave items in custom tabs after end’ option, or something. I’m not sure. I know people want to be able to create ‘Won’ and ‘Lost’ tabs, for instance. I don’t know how much automated support I can comfortably give to all the various competing concepts.

Oooh! Multi-item BINs… That’s a tough one, because the listing is still going, even though the sale has effectively ‘completed’. JBidwatcher refers to an item by its unique combination of item # and auction site. Right now, you can’t have the ‘same’ auction entry in multiple tabs.

There’s some tough problems there, that I can’t give you quick answers to. I’ll have to think on solutions for those… Sorry about that.

May 23, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Select field

Greetings,
Sorry for the long delay, I’ve been dealing with my new job.

The select field allows you to select (hilight) entries in the current tab that match your search text.

This allows you to trim items that you got via a search or some other way, but aren’t really what you want to keep. (I.e. you searched for ‘sakura beanie babies’, but the 2004 versions aren’t the ones you want, you can type ‘2004’ in the select window, and then Auction | Delete.)

It’s also useful for choosing multisnipe groups, and such. It’s just another way to manage the data.

May 15, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Strange Auctions in Completed Tab

I’ve just installed and started using JBidWatcher and there is some strange behaviour that I can’t explain, and it’s not happening to my friend who recommended the program to me.

If I click on the completed tab it shows a huge list of auctions that I just don’t recognise and have never bid on. I deleted them all but then as I sat and watched it started filling up again at the rate of about 1 per second! What’s going on?

Is this a settings thing (I couldn’t see anything related) or a bug of some sort? (I’m on XP with JRE 1.4.2_04)

May 14, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / UserID/Password error...

I am having exactly this problem, too. And I already HAVE put in my username and password. Could it be the kind of network I’m on, or a Java implementation or something else?

May 3, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / support SSL sing-in

any plan to support Secure Sign In (SSL)?

Apr 29, 2004
Avatar (SF) Don Har... 9 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Minor issues

Thanks for a great program. These are not critical bugs but just a few observations.

I some times click on my icon and start a second version. Would it be easy to check to see if it is already running and switch to that window? I know it is an operator head space issue. I have not seen any problems from this but it may cause some problems if settings were changed in this state.

Love the tabs. Would be possible to leave items in the tabs after the end of an action?

If you do a buy it now that has multiple items, your item does not show up in the compleated colum until the action ends. Not a big deal but it took a few minites to figure out what was going on.

Glad to see you working on this again and hope you are feeling better.

Don

Apr 26, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Feature Request: My Max Bid + S/H Column

Greetings,
You can alter the per-item multisnipe price individually, by clicking on the item, calling up the context menu and selecting ‘Snipe’. Each item can have a different snipe price that way and yet be part of the multisnipe, so you can effectively do it by hand.

I’m loathe to do it in an automated fashion, because the complexity quickly skyrockets as you try to handle shipping, optional/required insurance, multiple item discounts, and other variables. I understand that the desire is for ‘just this feature’ (as shown in the interest in the RFE for this), but that was true of the ‘show shipping cost’ feature too, which somewhat begat this feature request.

Another problem is that it violates the principle of least surprise. The program should do as it’s asked, without any secret/surprising behaviors. I don’t always succeed in this, but it is my goal.

One more problem is shown with the recent failure of JBidwatcher to read the shipping values. If JBidwatcher were failing to read those values, you would end up paying more for the item (i.e. your full bid, $25 in this case, plus the shipping cost) than you had intended. Very few of JBidwatcher’s features fail in a way that can cause you to spend MORE money than you expected. This is on purpose.

Since you can already custom-set the snipe price on a per-item-within-multisnipe-group basis (i.e. do it by hand), I’m unlikely to add a feature for auto-calculation of varying multisnipe prices anytime this side of 1.0. I’ve tried to keep the bidding UI simple so far. Post-1.0, I’ll revist starting to add more complexity to the bidding process.

If someone wants to solve the UI issues, it shouldn’t be too hard to implement the back-end as each item can already have independant snipe values, but the UI is definitely complex to allow for all the potential options.

If someone wants to work on it, recognizing that it has to be an optional component, and clearly identified in the multisnipe entry screen, I’d be happy to include it in the program, and I’ll help by explaining whatever parts of the code you need explained.

Otherwise, it’ll have to be revisted sometime post-1.0.

Apr 14, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Select field

Can someone tell me on the toolbar, what the ‘Select’ field is for and how to use it.

thanks

Apr 4, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / HTML Interface

aside from removing completed auctions once a week from the jbidwatcher dialog window proper(using vnc over network at that), i use the html interface exclusively. naturally i welcome any more work put into it

Apr 2, 2004
Avatar (SF) Don Har... 9 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / JBid Splash Screen:Cat holding a sniper rifle

Look in the cvs for a file called jbidwatch_apr1.jpg .