Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 7,910 post(s) found

Aug 4, 2004
Avatar (SF) stuart ... 2 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / How do you start with debug mode

firstly anyone have any information about debug mode and how to activate it.

Secondly I installed the java runtime, how do I make it start automatically. createing a shortcut says class not found.

Jul 30, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Testimonial

Man! 18 seconds before the end? That’s some “play-it-safe” action, you got there. :)

Cut it to 4s man! JBW can do it! Live on the edge!!!

BTW, just send anti-snipers to…
http://members.cox.net/cruentidei/ebay/snipe.html

Jul 29, 2004
Avatar Morgan Schweers 1,204 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassD

Greetings,
Very strange! The Java install should automatically add a .jar handler to your registry.

I don’t have a Windows box handy at this moment, but you should be able to look at your registry for the handler for ‘.jar’ files. (It should be in HKLM.) The .jar entry should have a ‘command’ (or something like that) subtree, which should have ‘open’ (or perhaps just the default?) entry which contains an entry like:

java -jar “%1”

or perhaps
D:\Programme\Java\j2sdk1.4.2_05\bin\java.exe -jar “%1”

If that’s not there, it might have a ‘jarfile’ reference, and then under the same area, you’d find ‘jarfile’, which again would have a command like that in it.

If you chose advanced or custom setup of the Java SDK, you might have not selected ‘associate with .jar files’, or something.

I hope this mostly random collection of thoughts helps…!

— Morgan Schweers, CyberFOX!

Jul 29, 2004

Greetings,
Coolness! Thanks very much for the testimonial!

I’m glad it’s working well for you, and I hope I can keep it that way!

p.s. Cool win, definitely… That’s why you always bid a few cents extra here and there, just in case you’ve picked the same price as someone else.

Jul 29, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Memory & CPU utilization

Greetings,
Mea culpa, I removed an ‘unnecessary optimization’ in a sleeplessness-induced moment of stupidity.

It’s constantly doing redraws of the pages, when it doesn’t need to. (All that ever changes, except during individual item updates, is the time left to close.)

I’ve got a beta that just fixes that problem available if you want to try it out.

Jul 29, 2004
Avatar (SF) Alan Fr... 3 post(s)

Hi Morgan,

I just wanted to thank you for continuing to support and update this software, and let you know that I’m enjoying it and not having any major issues.

Here’s my latest bit of fun:
http://offer.ebay.com/ws3/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=3690216082

Not a very expensive item, but I won it by 4 cents! :-D

A.J.

Jul 21, 2004

Greetings,
Weird!

Can you tell me if JBidwatcher is writing large amounts of logs, or anything? I could see that if it’s pounding the logs out, or something, but not under normal load…

(I’ve never even tested JBidwatcher on FreeBSD, although I’ve been told it works… I haven’t tested on Solaris, to my embarassment, in about a year and a half. I’ll have to see if my housemate still has his Solaris box up.)

I’m surprised, and pleased, that running as three different users works, although JBidwatcher will have issues if multiple of the users try to turn on ‘Use internal web server’, as I never did set the UI-based configuration to be able to choose the port. (It’s settable through the config file, though.)

One problem is that Java up through 1.4.x creates an entirely different memory space for every Java instance. 1.5 shares a great deal of memory between instances, based on some really cool work Apple did to port Java to their platform. That would reduce memory usage, but I haven’t tested under 1.5 yet, so I can’t personally recommend it yet.

I’ve had reports of out-of-control load on XP, as well, so I’ll try to investigate what’s going on. I may have nuked an ‘apparently useless’ few lines of code in a recent set of cleanups that existed solely to reduce the redisplay load.

Jul 21, 2004
Avatar (SF) Matthew... 2 post(s)

I’m having a problem with the latest jbidwatcher. I recently moved my jbw from freebsd to my solaris box and am seeing the following :

last pid: 11460; load averages: 2.78, 2.53, 2.38 10:37:22
108 processes: 106 sleeping, 1 running, 1 on cpu
last pid: 11461; load averages: 2.58, 2.50, 2.37 10:37:37
108 processes: 104 sleeping, 3 running, 1 on cpu
CPU states: 0.0% idle, 96.3% user, 3.7% kernel, 0.0% iowait, 0.0% swap
Memory: 512M real, 11M free, 503M swap in use, 44M swap free

PID USERNAME THR PRI NICE SIZE RES STATE TIME CPU COMMAND 18770 mteton 31 0 10 116M 50M run 56.0H 86.28% java 11485 dakota 8 48 0 110M 60M sleep 5:42 0.00% mozilla-bin 18627 porkchop 31 18 10 109M 48M sleep 121:57 0.09% java 11455 dakota 30 46 7 106M 43M run 23:40 2.48% java 18342 root 1 48 0 83M 36M sleep 42:31 0.94% Xsun

[snip]

The 3 java processes are all jbidwatchers. The memory and CPU utilizations are HUGE! In fact, I regularly have snipes failing because of it. Is there anything I can do besides move back to the machine that I was ready to retire?

TIA

-matthew

Jul 20, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Nuke Tab???

Greetings,
Sorry, I should have clarified.

Delete Tab actually just deletes the tab itself, and moves all entries that were in it, to ‘current’. (Or ‘completed’, although it suddenly strikes me that I haven’t tested deleting a tab that has items that have been moved post-delete…)

Nuke Tab was basically requested as a ‘more dramatic’ version of Delete Tab.

Jul 20, 2004
Avatar (SF) Michael... 2 post(s)

Hi Morgan,

So if “Nuke Tab” deletes all the entries in the tab and the tab itself, what does “Delete Tab” do differently? Does it delete the entries but leave the tab? Does it delete the tab and move the entries to a different tab automatically? Does it…?

Enquiring minds want to know. ;)

Jul 20, 2004

thanks man, that’s it.
the double click does not work.
may be i can reconfigure my system to do the double click (only if u gimmi a hint :-)) )
thanks a lot

Jul 19, 2004
Avatar (SF) Don Har... 9 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Dual boot bidwatcher?

Works great. Thanks again for the great tool.

Don

Jul 19, 2004

Greetings,
This is a bit difficult, because of the ‘where files are stored’ issue.

Theoretically, you could do this reasonably well, with two seperate configuration files. The Windows configuration file can be mostly ignored, since you’re going to treat the Windows side as the one that won’t know anything about the Linux side.

The Windows configuration file would be in:
C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\.jbidwatcher
and the other would be in:
~/.jbidwatcher

So, pretending that your Windows drive is mounted and writable on /mnt/win98, for instance, you could change your ~/.jbidwatcher/JBidWatch.cfg like follows:

search.savefile=/mnt/win98/Documents and Settings/{username}/.jbidwatcher/searches.xml
savefile=/mnt/win98/Documents and Settings/{username}/.jbidwatcher/auctions.xml
auctions.savepath=/mnt/win98/Documents and Settings/{username}/.jbidwatcher/auctionsave

That list of changes should allow your Linux box to read the data from the Win98 side.

Now, if anyone else sees this, and thinks ‘Oh, I can run this network mounted to my Windows box, and keep them in synch!’, please don’t. The problem here is that the auctions save file is NEVER RE-READ while the program is running. This means that two programs running at once, pointing to the same location, will repeatedly overwrite each other, and the last one to close will be the only one whose auctions and searches save correctly.

This works for the dual-boot case, because it’s impossible for the two to be running at the same time.

I haven’t updated the ‘advanced configuration’ stuff in a long, long while. I suppose I should… :)

For what it’s worth, this also won’t ‘synchronize’ the display configurations. I believe you wouldn’t want to do that anyway, as the display situation on the two platforms would be so different.

Jul 19, 2004

Greetings,
The command is:
java -jar JBidWatcher-0.9.3.1.jar

The ‘-jar’ tells Java to run it out of the jar file.

You should also be able to double-click on the .jar file, because the standard Java install adds a handler to Windows allowing automatic execution of .jar files via double-click.

Jul 19, 2004

Greetings,
Hey! Glad to hear you like it!

‘Nuke Tab’ should delete all entries in the tab, as well as deleting the tab itself. (I couldn’t think of a better name…)

Jul 19, 2004
Avatar (SF) Michael... 2 post(s)

Love the new tabs functionality, but what does the “Nuke Tab” option do differently from the “Delete Tab” option?

Jul 18, 2004

hi folks,

i downloaded the latest version from here and saved it at the desktop. then is installed the java from java.sun.com and now i have this java version on my pc:

java version “1.4.2_05”
Java™ 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_05-b04)
Java HotSpot™ Client VM (build 1.4.2_05-b04, mixed mode)

my CLASSPATH looks like this:
D:\Programme\Java\j2sdk1.4.2_05\bin
and i also tried out this:
D:\Programme\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\bin

All applets in browsers work.
i have win xp sp1.

when executing the following line in cmd.exe

c:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\mod>java JBidWatcher-0.9.3.1

i get constantly this error:

C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\mod>java JBidWatcher-0.9.3.1.jar
Exception in thread “main” java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: JBidWatcher-0/9/3/1/j
ar

any ideas what might be wrong?
please help me cause i know the prog and like it very much.

thanks in advance.
modnet25

Jul 17, 2004
Avatar (SF) Don Har... 9 post(s)

Hi I have a machine that dual boots to Fedora core2 and windows 98. 9.3.1 seems to work great on both. I would like to use the same files in both oses. I can see the windows in linux. Do you think this will cause any problems?
I see some details in the advanced config section. Will that be enough to do this?

Thanks for this great program! Don

Jul 8, 2004
Avatar (SF) Scott S... 11 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Does Not Save or Exit in Windows XP

Ok, a new clue.
I did some testing, and found jbidwatcher hangs if you define a search such as ‘tmaxx’ to repeat every hour.

I have had it running without hanging for about 3 hours now, and the only difference is I did the initial search when I launched the application, but made sure the search was NOT set to repeat every hour like I usually have it….

Jun 29, 2004

Here is an exception while I was actually using it and then it froze up like normal:

Exception in thread “AWT-EventQueue-0” java.util.ConcurrentModificationException

at java.util.AbstractList$Itr.checkForComodification(Unknown Source) at java.util.AbstractList$Itr.next(Unknown Source) at AuctionServer.toXML(AuctionServer.java:300) at AuctionServerManager.toXML(AuctionServerManager.java:149) at AuctionsManager.saveAuctions(AuctionsManager.java:341) at JBidMouse.DoSave(JBidMouse.java:1305) at JBidMouse.DoAction(JBidMouse.java:1507) at JTabManager.actionPerformed(JTabManager.java:125) at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source) at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source) at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source) at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source) at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Sour

ce)
at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Tue Jun 29 20:37:25 EDT 2004: Loaded 5905670251.
Tue Jun 29 20:37:27 EDT 2004: Loaded 5905870766.
Tue Jun 29 20:37:29 EDT 2004: Loaded 5905679780.
Exception in thread “AWT-EventQueue-0” java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap spa
ce
Exception in thread “AWT-EventQueue-0” java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap spa
ce

Jun 29, 2004

By the way, I get these ‘freeze-ups’ even from a fresh run. For example, if I wipe out the settings files, download a fresh cvs (or use the release version), and put in a simple text search such as ‘tmaxx’, and just let the program run in the background (minimize it), it will at some point freeze up. It might take hours, or it might only take minutes, but it eventually will.

Almost every time it says ‘syncronized time with ebay’ at the bottom of the screen, but not ALWAYS

But I seem to always get this:
Exception in thread “Thread-9” java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
ce

Jun 28, 2004

I have this happening even in the CVS, though less frequently.

Here is the error when it freezes up that goes to the console:

Mon Jun 28 17:42:30 EDT 2004: Loaded 5906341915.
ce
ce

C:\jbidwatcher>

Jun 26, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / search by close time

Greetings,
Well, it’s not quite that simple, but it is possible.

The basic issue is that I really can’t match the complexity of all the possible eBay searches in JBidwatcher. So instead, I went for the ‘90%’ solution, the search that 90% of the users will be best served by.

I allow, however, arbitrary searches to be added through the ‘URL Load’ mechanism.

Go to eBay itself, and their rich search page. Set all the parameters you’d like, and then submit the search.

On the first page of the search, copy the URL from the Location bar at the top of the browser window with whatever key copies to the clipboard. Switch to JBidwatcher, and pull up the Search Manager page.

Change the dropdown (which initially reads ‘Text Search’ to ‘URL Load’. Right click on it and ‘Paste’.

Save, rename, and fire the search! It should load the results from your search into a tab named the same as whatever you renamed the search as.

This is my ‘advanced’ approach to loading searches, because it allows anyone to completely customize their search in ways that I couldn’t really duplicate without effectively rewriting eBay’s search mechanism.

Jun 26, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / search by close time

Is it possible to do searches that will restrict the close time to for example only auctions that close within 1 hour? That would be a great feature if not…

Jun 22, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Tabs not working?

Well, latest CVS seems to have my 3 extra tabs, so I will keep playing… thanks!