Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 7,903 post(s) found

Oct 5, 2004
Avatar Morgan Schweers 1,204 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Error communicating with server

Greetings,
If it’s not giving any exceptions, and the program is basically working, then that’s fine. It’s just that quoted strings with ‘>’ in them are potential HTML issues, because eBay often makes basic HTML mistakes like not closing their quotes.

In general, when they don’t close their quotes, JBidwatcher (and any browser) has to back-track and figure out which tag it was that they failed to close their quotes in, so it keeps track of which tags were ‘unusual’ (I used to put ‘suspicious’, but the wording scared people unnecessarily, so I changed it).

It doesn’t need to be seen by everyone, so I’ll probably pull the text in the next version, so it only shows up when the debugging checkbox is on.

It’s harmless, however.

— Morgan Schweers, CyberFOX!

Oct 5, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Error communicating with server

For a week or two i have this error… any ideas how to manage it? In the error.log he shows this…
Found an unusual tag @ 8498… (t" tabindex=“3” value=“Sign In Securely >”>)

I’m using Version 0.9.5 (ebay.de)… perhaps ebay.de changed something on their page?

Oct 4, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / SSL Beta Call for Volunteers!

Greetings,
All done… 0.9.5 is released!

I can relax for a little while (cross fingers) until eBay changes something else…

Sep 29, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / SSL Beta Call for Volunteers!

Greetings,
I’m looking for volunteers who are willing to try a beta of JBidwatcher. I’ve made a substantial amount of changes (some of which were in the pipe already, some of which I had to do in response to the sudden eBay changes), and there’s no guarantee that this version will work for you.

I have tested, and can bid on my own items, but I need users willing to test sniping under the circumstance that there is a good chance it might just fail.

If you are interested, contact me at:
cyberfox
at
gmail.com

and I will respond with an email that (1) explains what I know is currently wrong, and (2) where the beta is for you to download.

I very much appreciate anyone’s help here, as eBay has made it a bit harder to keep up this time.

Thanks very much,

Sep 29, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Potential problem

Greetings,
I’m looking for volunteers who are willing to try a beta of JBidwatcher. I’ve made a substantial amount of changes (some of which were in the pipe already, some of which I had to do in response to the sudden eBay changes), and there’s no guarantee that this version will work for you.

I have tested, and can bid on my own items, but I need users willing to test sniping under the circumstance that there is a good chance it might just fail.

If you are interested, contact me at:
cyberfox
at
gmail.com

and I will respond with an email that (1) explains what I know is currently wrong, and (2) where the beta is for you to download.

I very much appreciate anyone’s help here, as eBay has made it a bit harder to keep up this time.

Thanks very much,

Sep 24, 2004
Avatar (SF) Don Har... 9 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Potential problem

I just read ebay is changing to ssl on there login. I am not sure if this will break bidwatcher or not. Maybe this will keep you from getting blind sided again. Thanks for a great program.

http://www2.ebay.com:80/aw/marketing.shtml#2004-09-23115003

Don

Sep 7, 2004
Avatar (SF) Scott S... 11 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Cant load search URL

Seems this URL and ones like it fail to load in jbidwatcher. The key thing in the URL is the sotime and sotr — they are sort options – I told ebay I wanted to only show auctions closing within 5 hours. I need to be able to do this so I can reduce the amount of results so jbidwatcher does not crash on me…

http://search.ebay.com/comic-book_W0QQsokeywordredirectZ1QQsotimeZ1QQsotrZ4QQfromZR8

Aug 31, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Cannot load My eBay pages without a userid an

Hi,
Is it possible that ebay changed their format?

I get this error message:
Tue Aug 31 23:35:01 CEST 2004: Cannot load My eBay pages without a userid and password.

Aug 29, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Memory & CPU utilization

Damm, nope … when jbidwatcher runs a few hours, the 99% cpu usage reappears.

I’m running: xpsp2
tried jre1.4.2 and jre1.5beta
jbidwatcher latest

Aug 28, 2004

Hi,
For information:
I had a 99% cpu usage on xp sp2 and jre1.4.2_05.

I have installed jre1.5.0-beta2 a few hours ago, the CPU and memory problems do not appear, at this time jbidwatcher (it runs now for about 3 hours) run very smooth with the new jre.

Aug 27, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / New Version???

Hi,

This is a great program except for the "JBidwachter
loads the URL, it says “Failed to load from URL”, and
does not show new auctions." bug.

When is a fix comming for this, as I have to load
auctions with the previous release and then reload them
into this release.
This is SO frustrating!

Aug 14, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / some implementation questions

hmmm, comcast is my outgoing smtp server, so it would seem like they would have that, but who knows.

anyways, i thought i’d post some screen shots of what i’m accomplished so far. however, SF doesn’t allow inline html, so i’ll just post the links

searching:
http://notbloodylikely.com/search.png

sniping (this part needs interface work):
http://notbloodylikely.com/snipe.png

Aug 11, 2004

I believe the bounce message you got means that your mail server doesn’t have a “postmaster” account configured. Sourceforge seems to have a thing about that.

Aug 10, 2004
Avatar (SF) Matthew... 2 post(s)

I would love to try the beta :) dakota70@mediumgreen.com

-matthew

Aug 5, 2004

oh, and about the bounce, here’s the error i got

Permanent Failure: 550-Postmaster_verification_failed_while_checking

Aug 5, 2004

it is a loaded question and i’m sorry if i’m asking too much.

regarding the mac os-ness of JBidWatcher: a lot of the things that make it seem foreign in the os stem from the fact that it wasn’t built from the tools provided by apple. it’s often the little things, but they quickly add up. for example, the toolbar icons shouldn’t have boxes around them, and they should have text underneath describing their function. then it’s all got to be customizable to what fits my needs. for an example of what toolbars act like, you can look at most mac applications. things like mail are a good example. this standard toolbar is evident all around and it’s consistency that makes a mac app what it is. it’s a lot of things like this. here’s a few more:

mac apps almost never have status text just there. status is usually indicated visually, and in the case where text is needed, it’s kept to a minimum.

many of the prefs seem superflous. for example, there doesn’t seem to be a real need to specify where the save file is. all mac os applications should save such data in the user’s library automatically. in addition, that arrow box for more prefs is nonstandard.

the text colors thing just clashes and seems like something you’d see on windows. i had an idea that in my app the list of items would have background highlighted styles to represent various states.

the “select” box is something i’ve never seen before. the mac equivalent would be a rounded search box that upon entering text the results would become filtered (ie the nonmatching results disappear).

i have a 1024*768 resolution and the text to the right of the select box runs into it.

and just in general the whole interface seems overly complex. i can maybe post some pictures of the interface i have in mind and it’s a whole lot simpler.

a lot of the things i don’t think will be able to be resolved in a java app. the menu bars are completely non-standard and match few other apps. on the other hand, a blank cocoa based app with zero code comes with a menubar that has all the standard functions and is organized just like other apps.

despite apple claiming java has equal ground with other apps, from what i’ve seen on mac os x, it seems java apps are at a severe disadvantage.

anyway, getting back to the topic, i’m writing this app only partially because what you’ve made doesn’t fit my needs. JBidWatcher an amazingly functional application, and i can accomplish anything i would want to with it. a lot of the reason i’m writing my own is to learn objective c. before this, i was only experienced in c++ and even then not in creating apps with real guis. in the end, i plan on making this application free for all and releasing the source.

so i wouldn’t mind your help. and like i said, don’t feel rushed. i’m still busy figuring out other bits of the code.

thanks!
sam

Aug 5, 2004

Greetings,
Erf… I’ll try to get to this in a little while, it’s a bit complex.

I’ve heard the ‘not mac os-like’ a lot, but nobody seems willing to drill down and tell me what it is. I try very hard to make the program as OSX-like as possible, and VERY much like to know where I’ve failed. I spent a bunch of time on Apple’s interface guidelines page for that, with some very custom code to manage the menu bar, and app packaging, and everything… Help me out, tell me what I’m still doing wrong!

I think instead of ‘users.sf.net’ it’s ‘users.sourceforge.net’, but they seem to map to the same machine. What kind of a bounce was it, if you kept it at all?

By the way, the current version sucks MUCH more CPU time than the previous version did, because I mistakenly diked an optimization out.

Anyhow, I’ll try to address the bidding details in a later post, when I get home.

The basic idea is that you submit a bid, it challenges with a hidden key (form, input type hidden, name=key (iirc, I don’t have the source in front of me where I am)), you re-submit, and it bids.

You need to be logged in as the user, tracking cookies, following redirects (and the cookie changes that happen from redirect to redirect), but that’s really the core of it. There’s details about quantity, and stuff, but that’s only for dutch auctions.

Aug 5, 2004

hi there,

my name’s sam. about a week ago i went searching for an application to search ebay items and snipe on them on my computer. i run a mac os x system, so my options were slim. of what i found, JBidWatcher was the only software that actually worked. however, it’s java base made it a tad slow and the user interface wasn’t very mac os-like (no offense). so, i decided i would build an application of my own! now, i’m having some trouble with some things and was wondering if you’d be willing to help. i’ve taken a look at your code and i don’t understand how you’re accomplishing a few things. this is probably derived from my lack of knowledge of java, so i’d be a very happy person if you could perhaps explain how you’re accomplishing the bidding procedure for ebay. i could go bidding on items to find out how ebay’s system works, but i’d rather a true and tried system be put into place rather than my guesswork.

to summarize: if you wouldn’t mind, and have the time, i’d be quite grateful for a quick rundown of the general bidding procedure for an item on ebay.

thanks
sam

ps, i tried emailing you using cyberfox at users dot sf dot net but the email bounced.

Aug 4, 2004
Avatar (SF) stuart ... 2 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / How do you start with debug mode

firstly anyone have any information about debug mode and how to activate it.

Secondly I installed the java runtime, how do I make it start automatically. createing a shortcut says class not found.

Jul 30, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Testimonial

Man! 18 seconds before the end? That’s some “play-it-safe” action, you got there. :)

Cut it to 4s man! JBW can do it! Live on the edge!!!

BTW, just send anti-snipers to…
http://members.cox.net/cruentidei/ebay/snipe.html

Jul 29, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassD

Greetings,
Very strange! The Java install should automatically add a .jar handler to your registry.

I don’t have a Windows box handy at this moment, but you should be able to look at your registry for the handler for ‘.jar’ files. (It should be in HKLM.) The .jar entry should have a ‘command’ (or something like that) subtree, which should have ‘open’ (or perhaps just the default?) entry which contains an entry like:

java -jar “%1”

or perhaps
D:\Programme\Java\j2sdk1.4.2_05\bin\java.exe -jar “%1”

If that’s not there, it might have a ‘jarfile’ reference, and then under the same area, you’d find ‘jarfile’, which again would have a command like that in it.

If you chose advanced or custom setup of the Java SDK, you might have not selected ‘associate with .jar files’, or something.

I hope this mostly random collection of thoughts helps…!

Jul 29, 2004

Greetings,
Coolness! Thanks very much for the testimonial!

I’m glad it’s working well for you, and I hope I can keep it that way!

p.s. Cool win, definitely… That’s why you always bid a few cents extra here and there, just in case you’ve picked the same price as someone else.

Jul 29, 2004

Greetings,
Mea culpa, I removed an ‘unnecessary optimization’ in a sleeplessness-induced moment of stupidity.

It’s constantly doing redraws of the pages, when it doesn’t need to. (All that ever changes, except during individual item updates, is the time left to close.)

I’ve got a beta that just fixes that problem available if you want to try it out.

Jul 29, 2004
Avatar (SF) Alan Fr... 3 post(s)

Hi Morgan,

I just wanted to thank you for continuing to support and update this software, and let you know that I’m enjoying it and not having any major issues.

Here’s my latest bit of fun:
http://offer.ebay.com/ws3/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=3690216082

Not a very expensive item, but I won it by 4 cents! :-D

A.J.

Jul 21, 2004

Greetings,
Weird!

Can you tell me if JBidwatcher is writing large amounts of logs, or anything? I could see that if it’s pounding the logs out, or something, but not under normal load…

(I’ve never even tested JBidwatcher on FreeBSD, although I’ve been told it works… I haven’t tested on Solaris, to my embarassment, in about a year and a half. I’ll have to see if my housemate still has his Solaris box up.)

I’m surprised, and pleased, that running as three different users works, although JBidwatcher will have issues if multiple of the users try to turn on ‘Use internal web server’, as I never did set the UI-based configuration to be able to choose the port. (It’s settable through the config file, though.)

One problem is that Java up through 1.4.x creates an entirely different memory space for every Java instance. 1.5 shares a great deal of memory between instances, based on some really cool work Apple did to port Java to their platform. That would reduce memory usage, but I haven’t tested under 1.5 yet, so I can’t personally recommend it yet.

I’ve had reports of out-of-control load on XP, as well, so I’ll try to investigate what’s going on. I may have nuked an ‘apparently useless’ few lines of code in a recent set of cleanups that existed solely to reduce the redisplay load.