Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 7,912 post(s) found

Oct 26, 2004
Avatar Morgan Schweers 1,204 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / How Can I Use Affiliate ID?

Greetings,
I appreciate the interest, and I noticed the call (I was in a big corporate meeting during my real job, so my cell was at my desk), but I’ve been loathe to work with many other people, because everyone wants to drive JBidwatcher in a somewhat more unpleasant direction.

(Witness about half a dozen people over the years who want to incorporate JBidwatcher into web pages, so it submits the bids (with passwords!) back to a central server which does the bidding, for instance. Very Bad! Trust betraying.)

I’m not at all suggesting you are one of them, I’m trying to explain my hesitation. If you’re using JBidwatcher, go ahead and drop me an email at my email address in there (or on here), if you want to explain the project you’re thinking about doing.

I’ve had great people, who used JBidwatcher to write research papers on eBay auction pricing, and designed excellent tools, and contributed useful stuff back. But this is NOT my job, and I don’t want it to be my job, yet. It’s a fun application, and one which my users have put a HUGE amount of trust in my hands. I will not betray that trust. I’m sufficiently financially independent that I don’t need to.

I signed up for a CJ account, to test this out, and I think I’ve already identified how to handle the eBay issue. Now it’s more or less going to come down to whether eBay says, ‘Yay…’, or ‘Nay!’ on placing bids as an affiliate.

— Morgan Schweers, CyberFOX!

Oct 26, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / How does bidding take place?

Greetings,
I use POST, usually, although there are some complications with some of the eBay pages.

Depending on if the item is dutch or not, you need a quantity, in bidding, also.

HOWEVER
-———————
If you’re looking at changing JBidwatcher to support a CJ ID, please hold off. I have a request in to eBay to talk about doing anything like that, if it’s legit. It has to be entirely above board.

I also need to make sure it’s done cleanly, so it’s legit, and…well, to use Google’s phrase, ‘Not Evil’.

I enjoy, and in fact treasure, the trust of my users, and it’s important to me that I keep it. Anything like this that involves making revenue off of their use of JBidwatcher has a high chance of damaging that trust, so needs to be handled as best I can.

Oct 26, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / How does bidding take place?

can you share some info how the bidding takes place? do you run a GET command? a POST? via HTTP or HTTPS? What are the paramenters?

ItermID
Max Price etc?

Which java file has it?

thanks

Oct 26, 2004

I called your 408 Number, but it was busy.
I was in SJ for 1 yr. I used to have a 408 cell phone.

Call me 613-355-6526. I have several projects working now. If we can combine the force, it will be much better. I got a very good Java programmer, 1 extremely good B2C marketer.

As for CJ, the updated the Term of Service just this week to restrict using affiliate IDs in software. I got an idea to get around this.

Oct 26, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Memory Stick

Greetings,
This is doable, but it’s not easy, and it may not be consistent. (It’s been a while since I tried something like that.)

If the memory stick is not in the same location (drive letter) always, then no, it’s not doable. Otherwise, you can put the configuration file on the memory stick, and when you launch JBidwatcher, launch it with the path of the config file on the memory stick.

So, for example, your command line would look like this:
m:\JBid\jbidwatcher.jar m:\JBid\JBidWatch.cfg

That would use the JBidWatch.cfg from the m:\JBid directory (m: being for Memory Stick in my mock example). That config file would point to m:\JBid\auctions.xml for the XML storage file, as well.

However, I think there are other parts of the program (error logs, etc.) that are stored ‘centrally’.

The core portable parts are configurable like that, though, I believe.

Oct 26, 2004

Greetings,

eBay offers money for bids?

holy…
….
they do. Whoa…

I’ll look into it.

I think it requires that I hit a separate url to get a particular cookie into the browser first.

If I do this…I may sign up for CJ, and put mine as the default, and potentially allow you to change it.

It strikes me that this might be a far, far better way to fund JBidwatcher development than asking for the occasional donation from users. It’d be disableable of course, and I’d have to write up a lot of explanation of what it’s doing, etc., but… Tell me, if you do this CJ thing, do you think users would object strenuously? I think I’m going to put up a poll shortly.

They pay for bids. I never knew. Wow. I would NEVER force using my affiliate id on my users, but I might just ask their permission to let me…with appropriate explanation, of course.

Oct 26, 2004

I am a member of CJ. I want to add the affilate ID to the program so everytime I bid I can got credit for the bidding.

Any idea how file to change?

Oct 21, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Memory Stick

Hi,

is it possible to use this tool with a memory stick? it saves the config in the windows user settings dir… is there any possibility to change this dir? it would be nice to take the tool with all settings an actions with me on a memory stick.
Any tips how to manage this?

thanx

Oct 12, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Local Ebay/Currency Only

Is it possible to set jbidwatcher to only show local items (ebay.co.uk in my case)? I can’t seem to fina an option for this but I could just be blind!

Also I can’t seem to get it to display £ symbols.

Oct 5, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Error communicating with server

Greetings,
If it’s not giving any exceptions, and the program is basically working, then that’s fine. It’s just that quoted strings with ‘>’ in them are potential HTML issues, because eBay often makes basic HTML mistakes like not closing their quotes.

In general, when they don’t close their quotes, JBidwatcher (and any browser) has to back-track and figure out which tag it was that they failed to close their quotes in, so it keeps track of which tags were ‘unusual’ (I used to put ‘suspicious’, but the wording scared people unnecessarily, so I changed it).

It doesn’t need to be seen by everyone, so I’ll probably pull the text in the next version, so it only shows up when the debugging checkbox is on.

It’s harmless, however.

Oct 5, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Error communicating with server

For a week or two i have this error… any ideas how to manage it? In the error.log he shows this…
Found an unusual tag @ 8498… (t" tabindex=“3” value=“Sign In Securely >”>)

I’m using Version 0.9.5 (ebay.de)… perhaps ebay.de changed something on their page?

Oct 4, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / SSL Beta Call for Volunteers!

Greetings,
All done… 0.9.5 is released!

I can relax for a little while (cross fingers) until eBay changes something else…

Sep 29, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / SSL Beta Call for Volunteers!

Greetings,
I’m looking for volunteers who are willing to try a beta of JBidwatcher. I’ve made a substantial amount of changes (some of which were in the pipe already, some of which I had to do in response to the sudden eBay changes), and there’s no guarantee that this version will work for you.

I have tested, and can bid on my own items, but I need users willing to test sniping under the circumstance that there is a good chance it might just fail.

If you are interested, contact me at:
cyberfox
at
gmail.com

and I will respond with an email that (1) explains what I know is currently wrong, and (2) where the beta is for you to download.

I very much appreciate anyone’s help here, as eBay has made it a bit harder to keep up this time.

Thanks very much,

Sep 29, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Potential problem

Greetings,
I’m looking for volunteers who are willing to try a beta of JBidwatcher. I’ve made a substantial amount of changes (some of which were in the pipe already, some of which I had to do in response to the sudden eBay changes), and there’s no guarantee that this version will work for you.

I have tested, and can bid on my own items, but I need users willing to test sniping under the circumstance that there is a good chance it might just fail.

If you are interested, contact me at:
cyberfox
at
gmail.com

and I will respond with an email that (1) explains what I know is currently wrong, and (2) where the beta is for you to download.

I very much appreciate anyone’s help here, as eBay has made it a bit harder to keep up this time.

Thanks very much,

Sep 24, 2004
Avatar (SF) Don Har... 9 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Potential problem

I just read ebay is changing to ssl on there login. I am not sure if this will break bidwatcher or not. Maybe this will keep you from getting blind sided again. Thanks for a great program.

http://www2.ebay.com:80/aw/marketing.shtml#2004-09-23115003

Don

Sep 7, 2004
Avatar (SF) Scott S... 11 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Cant load search URL

Seems this URL and ones like it fail to load in jbidwatcher. The key thing in the URL is the sotime and sotr — they are sort options – I told ebay I wanted to only show auctions closing within 5 hours. I need to be able to do this so I can reduce the amount of results so jbidwatcher does not crash on me…

http://search.ebay.com/comic-book_W0QQsokeywordredirectZ1QQsotimeZ1QQsotrZ4QQfromZR8

Aug 31, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Cannot load My eBay pages without a userid an

Hi,
Is it possible that ebay changed their format?

I get this error message:
Tue Aug 31 23:35:01 CEST 2004: Cannot load My eBay pages without a userid and password.

Aug 29, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Memory & CPU utilization

Damm, nope … when jbidwatcher runs a few hours, the 99% cpu usage reappears.

I’m running: xpsp2
tried jre1.4.2 and jre1.5beta
jbidwatcher latest

Aug 28, 2004

Hi,
For information:
I had a 99% cpu usage on xp sp2 and jre1.4.2_05.

I have installed jre1.5.0-beta2 a few hours ago, the CPU and memory problems do not appear, at this time jbidwatcher (it runs now for about 3 hours) run very smooth with the new jre.

Aug 27, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / New Version???

Hi,

This is a great program except for the "JBidwachter
loads the URL, it says “Failed to load from URL”, and
does not show new auctions." bug.

When is a fix comming for this, as I have to load
auctions with the previous release and then reload them
into this release.
This is SO frustrating!

Aug 14, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / some implementation questions

hmmm, comcast is my outgoing smtp server, so it would seem like they would have that, but who knows.

anyways, i thought i’d post some screen shots of what i’m accomplished so far. however, SF doesn’t allow inline html, so i’ll just post the links

searching:
http://notbloodylikely.com/search.png

sniping (this part needs interface work):
http://notbloodylikely.com/snipe.png

Aug 11, 2004

I believe the bounce message you got means that your mail server doesn’t have a “postmaster” account configured. Sourceforge seems to have a thing about that.

Aug 10, 2004
Avatar (SF) Matthew... 2 post(s)

I would love to try the beta :) dakota70@mediumgreen.com

-matthew

Aug 5, 2004

oh, and about the bounce, here’s the error i got

Permanent Failure: 550-Postmaster_verification_failed_while_checking

Aug 5, 2004

it is a loaded question and i’m sorry if i’m asking too much.

regarding the mac os-ness of JBidWatcher: a lot of the things that make it seem foreign in the os stem from the fact that it wasn’t built from the tools provided by apple. it’s often the little things, but they quickly add up. for example, the toolbar icons shouldn’t have boxes around them, and they should have text underneath describing their function. then it’s all got to be customizable to what fits my needs. for an example of what toolbars act like, you can look at most mac applications. things like mail are a good example. this standard toolbar is evident all around and it’s consistency that makes a mac app what it is. it’s a lot of things like this. here’s a few more:

mac apps almost never have status text just there. status is usually indicated visually, and in the case where text is needed, it’s kept to a minimum.

many of the prefs seem superflous. for example, there doesn’t seem to be a real need to specify where the save file is. all mac os applications should save such data in the user’s library automatically. in addition, that arrow box for more prefs is nonstandard.

the text colors thing just clashes and seems like something you’d see on windows. i had an idea that in my app the list of items would have background highlighted styles to represent various states.

the “select” box is something i’ve never seen before. the mac equivalent would be a rounded search box that upon entering text the results would become filtered (ie the nonmatching results disappear).

i have a 1024*768 resolution and the text to the right of the select box runs into it.

and just in general the whole interface seems overly complex. i can maybe post some pictures of the interface i have in mind and it’s a whole lot simpler.

a lot of the things i don’t think will be able to be resolved in a java app. the menu bars are completely non-standard and match few other apps. on the other hand, a blank cocoa based app with zero code comes with a menubar that has all the standard functions and is organized just like other apps.

despite apple claiming java has equal ground with other apps, from what i’ve seen on mac os x, it seems java apps are at a severe disadvantage.

anyway, getting back to the topic, i’m writing this app only partially because what you’ve made doesn’t fit my needs. JBidWatcher an amazingly functional application, and i can accomplish anything i would want to with it. a lot of the reason i’m writing my own is to learn objective c. before this, i was only experienced in c++ and even then not in creating apps with real guis. in the end, i plan on making this application free for all and releasing the source.

so i wouldn’t mind your help. and like i said, don’t feel rushed. i’m still busy figuring out other bits of the code.

thanks!
sam