Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 7,903 post(s) found

Nov 27, 2004
Avatar (SF) Kyle Ba... 6 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Time drifting from ebay time

I can manually sync my clock with ebay, but after some hours, the clock in jbidwatcher has drifted significantly from the ebay server clock (several minutes). This causes jbidwatcher to cancel my auctions before they have expired.

Any ideas?

Nov 27, 2004
Avatar (SF) Thomas ... 3 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Nuke Tab???

OK. so I will look into this once more. If I can reproduce this, I will report it as a bug.

Nov 26, 2004
Avatar (SF) Kyle Ba... 6 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / My bids are not registering on ebay

JBidwatcher seems to be running, but my bid never shows up on the ebay item. I can fetch the ebay item, and I can snipe on it, but my bid never gets accepted by ebay.

In the error log, I see:

Bidding $1.23 on 1 item….

but my bid never registers with ebay (and so I don’t win the item).

Any ideas?

Nov 22, 2004
Avatar Morgan Schweers 1,204 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Possible Bug: Icons go black.

Greetings,
It’s more a problem of when the Java process somehow runs out of memory, the icons are ‘unloaded’, or garbage collected or something similar.

It only happens under Windows, that I’m aware. I have yet to figure out why.

— Morgan Schweers, CyberFOX!

Nov 22, 2004

Greetings,
Eeep? The ‘nuke’ option should be deleting the items, and putting them in the ‘deleted’ section, so they don’t get reloaded in the next search… If it’s not doing that, it’s a bug.

Nov 21, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / How Can I Use Affiliate ID?

Did you investigate it any further? Looks like a real good idea to me.

Nov 21, 2004

That was actually me (and maybe others) who wanted that feature. But it doesn’t work as I wanted it to :-(
When I nuke a tab and do the same search again (maybe the next day or so), I get all the items another time that were in the nuked tab.
What I really want to do is:
1. Define an automatic search with a given name once a
day or so.
2. If a tab opens, view all items and move the
interesting ones to current.
3. Nuke the tab and get rid of all the crap.

This way I will know for sure that there’s new stuff in the newly opened tab.
Nowadays I delete all the items first before nuking the tab (could just as well delete it).

Nov 16, 2004
Avatar (SF) Roger Y... 2 post(s)

So should I post this as a bug, or is it user error?

Nov 15, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Program still not updating..need help please!

Hi,

This is oh so frustrating!

The program starts ok and begins to check and update all the items.
It may check for 15 minutes it then highlights an item to check, says updating item and there it says…it never moves from there. The clock continues, the items end but never move into the completed tab. It just stops! If I try to stop the updating, resync etc it stops responding (does not freeze as such the clock continues) and won’t allow me to exit etc.
I have to go to Task Manager and end process…not good.
I’ve tried downloading the source again, deleting
auctions, seaches etc but it still does it after say 15 minutes.
Can I have too many searches etc????

I’m working under Win 2000 and XP sp2, jbid 0.9.5, java 1.4.2_04.

Nov 12, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Installing in Mandrake

Thanks for the information! It works for me with SuSE 9.2. Instead of putting the path to java, I just put java -jar and it works.

Nov 7, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Program stops responding!!

ver 0.9.5

This is driving me crazy, lately it seems so slow and doesn’t send complted auctions to the complete tab.
When an item has ended and is ‘red’ the date/time of ending will ‘flash’ showing the HTML, then the date/time…. like ..etc… wierd.
It also seems to be a HUGE memory hog now.

I have used this program for quite awhile, now it seems to be unusable…
I use it on XP sp2 and WIN 2000 with the same bad results.
Any body else having big problems????

thanks

Nov 6, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Yahoo

Hi there

I would like to implement Yahoo(Japan) auction in JBidwatcher and I noticed that that there is a yahooServer class. If i could see that working against Yahoo(US) Auctions that would help me to get the Japanese one going.

Does the yahooServer work, and if so how can I test it out? Thanks

J

Nov 5, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Program stops/updating

Hi,

This is oh so frustrating!

The program starts ok and begins to check and update
all the items.
It may check for 15 minutes it then highlights an item to
check, says updating item and there it says…it never
moves from there. The clock continues, the items end
but never move into the completed tab. It just stops! If
I try to stop the updating, resync etc it stops
functioning (does not freeze as such the clock
continues) and won’t allow me to exit etc.
I have to go to Task Manager and end process…not
good.
I’ve tried downloading the source again, deleting
auctions, seaches etc but it still does it after say 15
minutes.
Can I have too many searches etc????

I’m working under Win 2000, jbid 0.9.5, java 1.4.2_04.

Nov 5, 2004
Avatar (SF) Roger Y... 2 post(s)

I’m running 0.95 on a Win 98se machine with the latest Sun JRE. If I minimize JBidwatcher for an indeterminate length of time, the buttons and some of the status icons are blanked out – Black boxes.

Any guesses?

Oct 27, 2004
Avatar (SF) Matt Pe... 2 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Windows installer available

If anyone is interested, I made a small windows installer (English only) for version 0.9.5 that is available here:

http://www.telisphere.com/~mpenning/

Oct 26, 2004

you worry too much. nobody will steal passwords etc. that is EVIL.

i am working on an automatic process. there are many binary files out there, but i need to know how the parsing ebay data and bidding works first. if you can help, that is great, because it will safe a lot of time debuging your programs. if you can tell me any document showing how parsing and bidding works on ebay. i hope i can use something like Perl, C++, but java is not bad. so far your program is the only one working on windows with a source code, so i came here to ask for help.

i have been working on ebay things for a while. i will give you more answers than ebay will directly, because people in ebay are DEAD. on average, the ebay team answer 1 question every 2 weeks. if you are unlucky, you will never hear from them.

Oct 26, 2004

Greetings,
I appreciate the interest, and I noticed the call (I was in a big corporate meeting during my real job, so my cell was at my desk), but I’ve been loathe to work with many other people, because everyone wants to drive JBidwatcher in a somewhat more unpleasant direction.

(Witness about half a dozen people over the years who want to incorporate JBidwatcher into web pages, so it submits the bids (with passwords!) back to a central server which does the bidding, for instance. Very Bad! Trust betraying.)

I’m not at all suggesting you are one of them, I’m trying to explain my hesitation. If you’re using JBidwatcher, go ahead and drop me an email at my email address in there (or on here), if you want to explain the project you’re thinking about doing.

I’ve had great people, who used JBidwatcher to write research papers on eBay auction pricing, and designed excellent tools, and contributed useful stuff back. But this is NOT my job, and I don’t want it to be my job, yet. It’s a fun application, and one which my users have put a HUGE amount of trust in my hands. I will not betray that trust. I’m sufficiently financially independent that I don’t need to.

I signed up for a CJ account, to test this out, and I think I’ve already identified how to handle the eBay issue. Now it’s more or less going to come down to whether eBay says, ‘Yay…’, or ‘Nay!’ on placing bids as an affiliate.

Oct 26, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / How does bidding take place?

Greetings,
I use POST, usually, although there are some complications with some of the eBay pages.

Depending on if the item is dutch or not, you need a quantity, in bidding, also.

HOWEVER
-———————
If you’re looking at changing JBidwatcher to support a CJ ID, please hold off. I have a request in to eBay to talk about doing anything like that, if it’s legit. It has to be entirely above board.

I also need to make sure it’s done cleanly, so it’s legit, and…well, to use Google’s phrase, ‘Not Evil’.

I enjoy, and in fact treasure, the trust of my users, and it’s important to me that I keep it. Anything like this that involves making revenue off of their use of JBidwatcher has a high chance of damaging that trust, so needs to be handled as best I can.

Oct 26, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / How does bidding take place?

can you share some info how the bidding takes place? do you run a GET command? a POST? via HTTP or HTTPS? What are the paramenters?

ItermID
Max Price etc?

Which java file has it?

thanks

Oct 26, 2004

I called your 408 Number, but it was busy.
I was in SJ for 1 yr. I used to have a 408 cell phone.

Call me 613-355-6526. I have several projects working now. If we can combine the force, it will be much better. I got a very good Java programmer, 1 extremely good B2C marketer.

As for CJ, the updated the Term of Service just this week to restrict using affiliate IDs in software. I got an idea to get around this.

Oct 26, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Memory Stick

Greetings,
This is doable, but it’s not easy, and it may not be consistent. (It’s been a while since I tried something like that.)

If the memory stick is not in the same location (drive letter) always, then no, it’s not doable. Otherwise, you can put the configuration file on the memory stick, and when you launch JBidwatcher, launch it with the path of the config file on the memory stick.

So, for example, your command line would look like this:
m:\JBid\jbidwatcher.jar m:\JBid\JBidWatch.cfg

That would use the JBidWatch.cfg from the m:\JBid directory (m: being for Memory Stick in my mock example). That config file would point to m:\JBid\auctions.xml for the XML storage file, as well.

However, I think there are other parts of the program (error logs, etc.) that are stored ‘centrally’.

The core portable parts are configurable like that, though, I believe.

Oct 26, 2004

Greetings,

eBay offers money for bids?

holy…
….
they do. Whoa…

I’ll look into it.

I think it requires that I hit a separate url to get a particular cookie into the browser first.

If I do this…I may sign up for CJ, and put mine as the default, and potentially allow you to change it.

It strikes me that this might be a far, far better way to fund JBidwatcher development than asking for the occasional donation from users. It’d be disableable of course, and I’d have to write up a lot of explanation of what it’s doing, etc., but… Tell me, if you do this CJ thing, do you think users would object strenuously? I think I’m going to put up a poll shortly.

They pay for bids. I never knew. Wow. I would NEVER force using my affiliate id on my users, but I might just ask their permission to let me…with appropriate explanation, of course.

Oct 26, 2004

I am a member of CJ. I want to add the affilate ID to the program so everytime I bid I can got credit for the bidding.

Any idea how file to change?

Oct 21, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Memory Stick

Hi,

is it possible to use this tool with a memory stick? it saves the config in the windows user settings dir… is there any possibility to change this dir? it would be nice to take the tool with all settings an actions with me on a memory stick.
Any tips how to manage this?

thanx

Oct 12, 2004

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Local Ebay/Currency Only

Is it possible to set jbidwatcher to only show local items (ebay.co.uk in my case)? I can’t seem to fina an option for this but I could just be blind!

Also I can’t seem to get it to display £ symbols.