Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 7,903 post(s) found

Feb 14, 2005
Avatar Morgan Schweers 1,204 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Time-fix beta available on request...

Greetings,
That’s great to hear!

Actually, JBidwatcher starts the process of a snipe a tiny bit before the auction actually reaches the snipe-time, to account for page-load lag.

JBidwatcher synchronizes time on startup, and roughly every 30 minutes after that.

— Morgan Schweers, CyberFOX!

Feb 14, 2005

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Time-fix beta available on request...

I did a snipe this afternoon with the beta and won the auction! I set it to snipe 8 seconds before the end and my bid was registered exactly 8 seconds before the end. I would say that it should have been a few seconds later though, or is is programmed that way?

The time out of sync problem seems to be fixed for me, when i resync it doesn’t change notably and it says succefully synchronized. Great!

Question: how often does jbidwatcher sync time or does it only sync on startup? I think it should be configurable

Feb 14, 2005

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Bids and snipings not working because...

Greetings,
The security login shows up when the login has failed some number of times.

If (for example) you’ve changed your password, but not changed it in JBidwatcher, eBay sees some large number of attempted log-ins over a day, with the wrong password, and blocks your account off unless you answer a ‘captcha’ (Completely Automated Public Turing-test to Tell Computers and Humans Apart).

Since these are annoying to many users, they don’t use them constantly, but when they think that a breakin might have happened, or someone is trying to break into your account, it gets enabled.

It’s a good thing, but it’s frustrating for JBidwatcher. JBidwatcher needs to be able to recognize (1) captcha login pages (not SOLVE them, but recognize them, and stop trying), and (2) when passwords fail, and STOP trying, so as not to appear like an attack.

Feb 14, 2005

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Time-fix beta available on request...

Greetings,
I have a potential solution to the time slippage problem. I’ll be issuing a call for beta volunteers to test it out for me.

The program as it stands in CVS (and thereby the beta) has a few display oddities, as I’m in the midst of refactoring the display code for future expansion, but it should be all pretty mild.

If you’re interested in trying it out and letting me know how it works for you (with all the dangers of just completely not working, that a beta implies!), contact me at:
cyberfox@users.sourceforge.net
and I’ll get back to you with a URL for the beta.

If you’d be so good as to include ‘timefix’ in your subject line, I’d appreciate it a lot, as it will let me filter and respond much quicker to those beta requests.

Other beta requests will still be handled, but slower.

Feb 14, 2005

Greetings,
I have a potential solution to the time slippage problem. I’ll be issuing a call for beta volunteers to test it out for me.

The program as it stands in CVS (and thereby the beta) has a few display oddities, as I’m in the midst of refactoring the display code for future expansion, but it should be all pretty mild.

If you’re interested in trying it out and letting me know how it works for you (with all the dangers of just completely not working, that a beta implies!), contact me at:
cyberfox@users.sourceforge.net
and I’ll get back to you with a URL for the beta.

If you’d be so good as to include ‘timefix’ in your subject line, I’d appreciate it a lot, as it will let me filter and respond much quicker to those beta requests.

Other beta requests will still be handled, but slower.

Feb 14, 2005

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Brief apology and status update

Greetings,
Searches can ‘create’ tabs, by renaming the search in the search manager. If it’s named something other than ‘New Search #’ (where # is a number), then it will create a tab with whatever name it was given, when it finds anything.

That said, I agree 100%, items should be able to be in multiple tabs at once. Architecturally, this is hard right now, but I’m working on making it easier as I go along.

One big thing I try to avoid is having the program be too complex for easy use. Right now, for example, a lot of people don’t even realize you can right-click on tabs, and perform actions on them. I need to figure out a way to ‘expose’ that behavior. Similarly, I want to build a way to ‘filter’ between tabs, but that almost requires a mini-language to support it.

These are all problems of determining how much of the power of the program to expose, and how to make it easy for anyone to figure it out.

At the same time, there are other problems like figuring out how to allow for auto-updating the ‘strings’ file that JBidwatcher uses, so that problems like the recent ‘Price’ vs. ‘price’ on fixed-price eBay items can be fixed without requiring a rev of the software.

Then there’s customizable columns, allowing arbitrary sets of columns, so that everyone can customize their item displays.

It’s all stuff I want to work on, but I’ve been swamped with ‘life interruptions’, like having teeth removed, surgery, leaving job, finding a new one, and the frustration of having one BIG bug that I couldn’t get past. (Which I believe I’ve gotten past now, more details in another post.)

Anyhow, hopefully as I go forward I’ll be able to address more of this, and maybe get a few really great releases out this year.

This last release has been incredible, running four-plus months without a new version being necessary. The major problem has been the time-slippage, and now eBay’s rewrite of the fixed-price items, but all told it’s been remarkably stable.

The next release won’t be VERY different, but I plan for it to have the seed for making larger changes in the future.

Feb 14, 2005

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / big thanks

Greetings,
You’re very welcome… I’m immensely proud of how the program has helped a lot of users, and continues to do so.

Thanks very much for the kind words and more!

Feb 13, 2005
Avatar (SF) james tate 12 post(s)

2-13-05 , Sniping didn’t work for me either , I placed a bid on
a item and it had 18 min. before closing and it didn’t bid on item.
I have my sniping setup at 10 sec.
I bet ebay is doing some close monitoring.

jim

Feb 11, 2005

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / How do you run jbidwatcher in Linux

If you want to run in Linux, here is the howto.
/usr/java/jre1.5.0_01/bin/java -jar /home/user/JBidWatcher-0.9.5.jar

Thanks, all of you for your help.

Jim

Feb 11, 2005

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Brief apology and status update

Yeah, Please get well, we need you badly

Jim

Feb 11, 2005

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Trying to compile jbidwatcher

Run “make” in Linux FC2 jre 1.5 is installed
get error: Compiling all classes.
make: javac: Command not found
make: * [compile] Error 127

What does this mean?

Jim

Feb 11, 2005

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / How do you run jbidwatcher in Linux

I have jre-1.5 installed in Linux fedora2 and downloaded
JBidWatcher.jar binary and I click on it opens a window with
in KDE konqueror such as this:

Size Method Size Now Ratio Timestamp CRC Filename

These are the headings for a large amount of listings under them.
Where do you go from here.
I don’t get any other windows to open.
I also downloaded the tar.gz file but can’t find a README
file to explain how to compile program.
Please help

Thanks Jim

Feb 10, 2005
Avatar (SF) Michael... 10 post(s)

The same happened to my until this morning. Using my account I wasn’t able to login into eBay without doing it twice. The first attempt always failed and the second attempt prompted me for the security number. The password was the correct in both attempts (autofill, because login information is saved in Safari on Mac OS X).

Using an account of a friend of mine I never had a problem logging in while testing on this. I tried to login into both ebay.com and ebay.de. No difference at all. It seemed the problems were bound to my account.

I tried to delete all former traces of my account my setup could have. I restarted my router and got a new IP. I deleted all cookies and caches, used another computer with another OS and browser after a clean boot. No way. Then I stopped all ebay activity (JBidWatcher) over the night.

After reading your post this morning, my problems are magically gone. Hmm.

To avoid possible sniper detection attempts JBidWatcher could be changed to include several randomly chosen browser strings and a login interval (if there is such thing), which is randomly changed to +/- 60-120 seconds to avoid login pattern.

Feb 9, 2005

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / JBidwatcher and Proxy server?

Same (?) problem here:

- loading of my items from ebay.de doesn’t work
- bidding fails
- I see a excepting for those tries in the error.log

ping gets an ip but no reply. Is it possible, ebay servers just don’t reply to ping?

Feb 9, 2005

Thanks for the update, i can’t believe no one replyed to this yet. I wish you good luck with the upcoming surgery, it’s next week i understand?

As for the new realease, will it be possible to bind searches to tabs? Furthermore I personally think it’s a good idea to seperate the ‘current’, ‘complete’ and ‘selling’ tab from other tabs because they serve different functions. It will then for example be possible to have an item listed under the ‘current’ tab as well as under a custom tab. When it expires it will be listed under the ‘complete’ tab and still under the custom tab (with a different color).

Again, first of all, good luck with the surgery!

Feb 9, 2005

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / big thanks

What a great tool jbidwatcher is, thank you very much! I tried a lot of commercial tools lately and was extremely disappointed with their crippled user interfaces and the limited functionality. Just couldn’t believe people dared asking money for these.

Jbidwatcher seems to be much more flexible. And i can’t believe it’s free either, thanks again.

Just made a (small, being a student) donation.

Feb 2, 2005

Peace and good health to you.

Feb 2, 2005

Did something change over the past few days/week?

I added lots of items to watch from ebay searches. Then I tried to use jbw to load those items with the ‘search’ function as I normally do.

jbw reported ‘synchronizing’ then ‘done’ but none of the many new items on my enbay watch list were imported into jbw.

It worked about 2 weeks ago, which was the last time i ran it.

Is ebay trying to filter out snipers?

Feb 2, 2005

everytime Jbidwatcher tries to login in, eBay asks for a new login prompt with visual confirmation (blurred numbers on colorful background). When I log in manually (via browser) eBay does this very occasionaly, while with jbidwatcher happens every time. So I cannot bid or snipe.
I’m using www.ebay.it.
Your tool really rocks! Hope you’ll fix this problem! Thx

Here is the log (with the debug option on):

Wed Feb 02 14:00:32 CET 2005: Bidding $12.00 on 1 item[s] of >> do it yourself! SONY ERICSSON UNLOCK KIT + CABLE!!!
Wed Feb 02 14:00:37 CET 2005: Found an unusual tag @ 4416… (D%0A&quant=1&BidBinInfo=5747544107)
Wed Feb 02 14:00:37 CET 2005: Found an unusual tag @ 4420… (&quant=1&BidBinInfo=5747544107)
Wed Feb 02 14:00:37 CET 2005: Found an unusual tag @ 4435… (p;BidBinInfo=574754410712.0)
Wed Feb 02 14:00:37 CET 2005: Found an unusual tag @ 4439… (dBinInfo=574754410712.0)
Wed Feb 02 14:00:37 CET 2005: Found an unusual tag @ 4449… (11">)
Wed Feb 02 14:00:37 CET 2005: Found an unusual tag @ 4461… (1">1">)
Wed Feb 02 14:00:37 CET 2005: Found an unusual tag @ 6080… (1">1">)
Wed Feb 02 14:00:37 CET 2005: Checking sign in as bid key load failed!
Wed Feb 02 14:00:37 CET 2005: Being prompted again for sign in, retrying.
Wed Feb 02 14:00:37 CET 2005: Getting the sign in cookie.
Wed Feb 02 14:00:38 CET 2005: Found an unusual tag @ 7370… (t" tabindex=“3” value=“Sign In Securely >”>)
Wed Feb 02 14:00:40 CET 2005: Done Getting the sign in cookie.
Wed Feb 02 14:00:44 CET 2005: Found an unusual tag @ 4416… (D%0A&quant=1&BidBinInfo=5747544107)
Wed Feb 02 14:00:44 CET 2005: Found an unusual tag @ 4420… (&quant=1&BidBinInfo=5747544107)
Wed Feb 02 14:00:44 CET 2005: Found an unusual tag @ 4435… (p;BidBinInfo=574754410712.0)
Wed Feb 02 14:00:44 CET 2005: Found an unusual tag @ 4439… (dBinInfo=574754410712.0)
Wed Feb 02 14:00:44 CET 2005: Found an unusual tag @ 4449… (11">)
Wed Feb 02 14:00:44 CET 2005: Found an unusual tag @ 4461… (1">1">)
Wed Feb 02 14:00:44 CET 2005: Found an unusual tag @ 6080… (1">1">)
+———————————————
| MfcISAPICommand=MakeBid&item=5747544107&quant=1&maxbid=12.0
+———————————————

…………
[CUT: html source of eBay page. If you want, I can post it]
…………

+——————end———————-
Wed Feb 02 14:00:44 CET 2005: Bad/nonexistent key read in bid, or connection failure!
Wed Feb 02 14:00:45 CET 2005: Wed Feb 02 14:00:45 CET 2005: 5747544107 (>> do it yourself! SONY ERICSSON UNLOCK KIT + CABLE!!!) – Bidding $12.00 apparently failed for an unknown reason. Check the auction
in the browser, to see if the bid went through anyway. (1)

Feb 1, 2005

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / window too big

Hello,

I just installed JBidWatch on my 12" Powerbook (OSX), and it looks nice, except that the window is larger than my screen (1024×768) and there appears to be no way to resize it. Most of the window is in view, so this doesn’t impact the functionality of the program, but I thought I should mention it; one more thing for the TODO list.

Thanks a million for the software – great work!

Jan 30, 2005
Avatar (SF) jago pe... 2 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / How does bidding take place?

Dutch bidding? Nice didn’t know you could get that! Very handy for wanted stuff!

I’ll do a search a ebay UK straight away!

Jan 30, 2005
Avatar (SF) jago pe... 2 post(s)

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / My bids are not registering on ebay

I also keep losing bids.

So I need to make test bids. But how?

I heard ebay have introduced built in Snipe tools. Is this right because I can’t see them?

In the meantime I’m going to try `bidwatcher` C++ for linux

Jan 28, 2005

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Running JBidWatcher

to add a launcher: right click on panel, choose > add to panel> launcher

fill in: name > JBidWatcher, command > java -jar /(directory where you installed it)/JBidWatcher-0.9.5.jar

if you want an icon, copy the jar file to temporary directory and extract the icon, move it to the install dir and then click on the icon and select browse, hen pick the correct file.

Jan 28, 2005

Greetings,
I’ve been involved in a number of things lately that have sucked my time away from JBidwatcher.

Mainly the transitioning out of my current place of employment, preparing for being immobile for a month and a half following some upcoming surgery (fixing the portion that never healed from the LAST time I had a major surgery a year ago), interviewing and landing a job for when I’m recuperated, and preparing to move to where the new job is. Most of that has been done, the surgery is roughly 2.5 weeks away. With luck, I’ll be off the painkillers within a week, and able to do some JBidwatcher programming while I’m laid up.

I’ve been keeping tabs on the bugs and such, although I haven’t responded to most messages. The fixed price/buy-it-now only bug (showing ‘null’ in the current price column) is fixed in CVS, ready to go whenever I launch a new release.

The primary problem with doing a new release is that I made a lot of changes to the UI table-layout code before things got crazy for me, and the column management code still has mild behavioral issues (not sorting quite right in some places, for instance).

I need ‘calm time’ to fix all this, and make it all work better.

I also REALLY wanted to find a good fix for the time-slip problem, before releasing. That one is still extremely frustrating, as I haven’t figured out WHY it happens yet. I can replicate it, but none of my attempts at fixing it have cleaned it up all the way.

‘Best’ is enemy of ‘good’, so if I can’t fix the time slip, I’m trending towards potentially still releasing a new version, but I need calm-time to focus on the code and fix it up in any case.

Outside of proxy issues (I recognize them, some I can fix, others I can’t), JBidwatcher is functioning well for the vast majority of my users.

I’ll try to help as much as I can, getting things together. I’m hoping to answer all my post-Jan 1 email this weekend, but it’s going to take a lot of focus from me to do that.

That’s my current status, and the status of the project. Please feel free to contact me, and ask any questions, and I’ll try to answer to the best of my ability. I’m cross-posting this on my blog and the two JBidwatcher discussion groups.

Jan 28, 2005

Greetings,
I’ve been involved in a number of things lately that have sucked my time away from JBidwatcher.

Mainly the transitioning out of my current place of employment, preparing for being immobile for a month and a half following some upcoming surgery (fixing the portion that never healed from the LAST time I had a major surgery a year ago), interviewing and landing a job for when I’m recuperated, and preparing to move to where the new job is. Most of that has been done, the surgery is roughly 2.5 weeks away. With luck, I’ll be off the painkillers within a week, and able to do some JBidwatcher programming while I’m laid up.

I’ve been keeping tabs on the bugs and such, although I haven’t responded to most messages. The fixed price/buy-it-now only bug (showing ‘null’ in the current price column) is fixed in CVS, ready to go whenever I launch a new release.

The primary problem with doing a new release is that I made a lot of changes to the UI table-layout code before things got crazy for me, and the column management code still has mild behavioral issues (not sorting quite right in some places, for instance).

I need ‘calm time’ to fix all this, and make it all work better.

I also REALLY wanted to find a good fix for the time-slip problem, before releasing. That one is still extremely frustrating, as I haven’t figured out WHY it happens yet. I can replicate it, but none of my attempts at fixing it have cleaned it up all the way.

‘Best’ is enemy of ‘good’, so if I can’t fix the time slip, I’m trending towards potentially still releasing a new version, but I need calm-time to focus on the code and fix it up in any case.

Outside of proxy issues (I recognize them, some I can fix, others I can’t), JBidwatcher is functioning well for the vast majority of my users.

I’ll try to help as much as I can, getting things together. I’m hoping to answer all my post-Jan 1 email this weekend, but it’s going to take a lot of focus from me to do that.

That’s my current status, and the status of the project. Please feel free to contact me, and ask any questions, and I’ll try to answer to the best of my ability. I’m cross-posting this on my blog and the two JBidwatcher discussion groups.