Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 7,914 post(s) found

Feb 22, 2005

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Invisible bidder??

Thanks Michael. A very interesting and useful app – I’m going to have lots of fun learning to use it. :)

BTW I could be wrong about the “invisible bidder” thing and perpaps eBay occasionally just messes up the bid times.

FWIW I’m not an experience eBayer and because it was the first time I noticed this strange pattern of not appearing in the bidders list (after making the highest bid) – I really found it very puzzling!?

Regards
Robert

Feb 22, 2005
Avatar (SF) Michael... 10 post(s)

Well, rocket_parts7 seems to like the seller, byuequip. rp7 has 87 times positive feedback, but only 8 of them are counted. If you look at his profile roughly 80 are from buyequip.

If you want to drill down more deeply I recommend “SellersBestFriends” to you, a free java app (http://chromstein.de/sbf/). The app is in bilingual english/german, but because I don’t know if the website is also in english (I think so), I post a direct download link (http://files.chromstein.de/SBF2_2_2.zip).

Because a couple of guys seem to like this seller as much as rp7 does it’s quite interesting to have a look and compare the auctions.

Feb 22, 2005

I thought so too until I checked a few other auctions “rocket_parts” was in and the same thing happens.

Here’s one in which 3 other people are bidding against each other. “rocket_parts” remains invisible throughout the auction then wins with a bid that pre-dates them but isn’t listed until the end.
http://offer.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=6720029558

May be some strange eBay glitch but it doesn’t happen when I proxy bid. :(

Cheers
rob

Feb 22, 2005

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Is there a way to post improved source code?

Is there a way to post improved source code? That would be either fixes or improvements to the Java client and the HTML/Webserver part of JBW.

Feb 22, 2005

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Time-fix beta available on request...

0.9.5 timefix seems working fine here, max +/- 1sec after 24hrs. Great Morgan, could be included in the next rel.
Still having problems reading from my Watched items, some appears and some not… log reports strange tags for items not recognized by JBidWatcher.

Max

Feb 22, 2005
Avatar Morgan Schweers 1,204 post(s)

Greetings,
To the best of my knowledge of eBay’s systems, I really don’t see how that would be possible.

I’d suggest maybe that your browser (or something between you and eBay) had the item page cached, and perhaps that’s why you didn’t see the high bidder update to rocket_parts7.

— Morgan Schweers, CyberFOX!

Feb 21, 2005

I used JBidwatcher to bid on an item in the last 10 seconds

The auction ended:
16-Feb-05 19:57:59 AEDST
JBidwatcher sniped at:
16-Feb-05 19:57:47 AEDST
yet rocket_parts7 ( 8 ) won and that bid was dated:
16-Feb-05 00:38:04 AEDST
19 hours earlier?? … yet during all that time the hightest bidder appeared to be redz30 ( 6 ) from:
15-Feb-05 23:23:50 AEDST
until my bid:
16-Feb-05 19:57:47 AEDST

Has anyone seen this kind of invisible bidding? and how is it done?

User ID: Bid Amount Date of bid

rocket_parts7 ( 8 ) AU $22.00 16-Feb-05 00:38:04 AEDST
monkymind ( 3 ) AU $21.55 16-Feb-05 19:57:47 AEDST
redz30 ( 6 ) AU $15.50 15-Feb-05 23:23:50 AEDST

URL for Bid History
http://offer.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=5164143676

Cheers
Robert

Feb 21, 2005

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Time-fix beta available on request...

I didn’t try your timeslip fix but my clock on Windows XP SP2 didn’t wander off after installing a “real” NTP service which is based on ntp.org sources (http://norloff.org/ntp/). The time service of XP has a 7 day update interval which seems to large for my setup. The ntp.org service measures the drift and updates accordingly.

My timeslip stays at 6-7 seconds after a couple of days without resyncing the server time. Before it would add up to 30 seconds and more.

If somebody has problems settings this up I’ve done some batch install scripts (for W2k/XP) which I could post in this forum. There are also setup packages somewhere for this service.

Feb 20, 2005

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Bids and snipings not working because...

Well, I didn’t change my password lately and have my eBay password saved in Safari on Mac OS X, so I didn’t type my password in at all.

Feb 19, 2005

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Time-fix beta available on request...

I tried 3 snipes set to 3 seconds before end. One sniped at 2 sec before, one at 3 sec before and one at 4 sec before end. I won all three auctions, perfect!

If i use searches pasted from an url the program gets very slow, and takes 100% CPU time. Only way to fix it is a reboot of the PC. This did not happen with version 0.9.5

Feb 14, 2005

Ah, so the timing is perfect then! tonight i will be doing another test at 4 second before end…

every 30 min should be fine i guess.. still if it’s not to much of a hassle, maybe you can make it possible to add a line to the config file for more or less frequent updates.

Feb 14, 2005

Greetings,
That’s great to hear!

Actually, JBidwatcher starts the process of a snipe a tiny bit before the auction actually reaches the snipe-time, to account for page-load lag.

JBidwatcher synchronizes time on startup, and roughly every 30 minutes after that.

Feb 14, 2005

I did a snipe this afternoon with the beta and won the auction! I set it to snipe 8 seconds before the end and my bid was registered exactly 8 seconds before the end. I would say that it should have been a few seconds later though, or is is programmed that way?

The time out of sync problem seems to be fixed for me, when i resync it doesn’t change notably and it says succefully synchronized. Great!

Question: how often does jbidwatcher sync time or does it only sync on startup? I think it should be configurable

Feb 14, 2005

Greetings,
The security login shows up when the login has failed some number of times.

If (for example) you’ve changed your password, but not changed it in JBidwatcher, eBay sees some large number of attempted log-ins over a day, with the wrong password, and blocks your account off unless you answer a ‘captcha’ (Completely Automated Public Turing-test to Tell Computers and Humans Apart).

Since these are annoying to many users, they don’t use them constantly, but when they think that a breakin might have happened, or someone is trying to break into your account, it gets enabled.

It’s a good thing, but it’s frustrating for JBidwatcher. JBidwatcher needs to be able to recognize (1) captcha login pages (not SOLVE them, but recognize them, and stop trying), and (2) when passwords fail, and STOP trying, so as not to appear like an attack.

Feb 14, 2005

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Time-fix beta available on request...

Greetings,
I have a potential solution to the time slippage problem. I’ll be issuing a call for beta volunteers to test it out for me.

The program as it stands in CVS (and thereby the beta) has a few display oddities, as I’m in the midst of refactoring the display code for future expansion, but it should be all pretty mild.

If you’re interested in trying it out and letting me know how it works for you (with all the dangers of just completely not working, that a beta implies!), contact me at:
cyberfox@users.sourceforge.net
and I’ll get back to you with a URL for the beta.

If you’d be so good as to include ‘timefix’ in your subject line, I’d appreciate it a lot, as it will let me filter and respond much quicker to those beta requests.

Other beta requests will still be handled, but slower.

Feb 14, 2005

Greetings,
I have a potential solution to the time slippage problem. I’ll be issuing a call for beta volunteers to test it out for me.

The program as it stands in CVS (and thereby the beta) has a few display oddities, as I’m in the midst of refactoring the display code for future expansion, but it should be all pretty mild.

If you’re interested in trying it out and letting me know how it works for you (with all the dangers of just completely not working, that a beta implies!), contact me at:
cyberfox@users.sourceforge.net
and I’ll get back to you with a URL for the beta.

If you’d be so good as to include ‘timefix’ in your subject line, I’d appreciate it a lot, as it will let me filter and respond much quicker to those beta requests.

Other beta requests will still be handled, but slower.

Feb 14, 2005

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / Brief apology and status update

Greetings,
Searches can ‘create’ tabs, by renaming the search in the search manager. If it’s named something other than ‘New Search #’ (where # is a number), then it will create a tab with whatever name it was given, when it finds anything.

That said, I agree 100%, items should be able to be in multiple tabs at once. Architecturally, this is hard right now, but I’m working on making it easier as I go along.

One big thing I try to avoid is having the program be too complex for easy use. Right now, for example, a lot of people don’t even realize you can right-click on tabs, and perform actions on them. I need to figure out a way to ‘expose’ that behavior. Similarly, I want to build a way to ‘filter’ between tabs, but that almost requires a mini-language to support it.

These are all problems of determining how much of the power of the program to expose, and how to make it easy for anyone to figure it out.

At the same time, there are other problems like figuring out how to allow for auto-updating the ‘strings’ file that JBidwatcher uses, so that problems like the recent ‘Price’ vs. ‘price’ on fixed-price eBay items can be fixed without requiring a rev of the software.

Then there’s customizable columns, allowing arbitrary sets of columns, so that everyone can customize their item displays.

It’s all stuff I want to work on, but I’ve been swamped with ‘life interruptions’, like having teeth removed, surgery, leaving job, finding a new one, and the frustration of having one BIG bug that I couldn’t get past. (Which I believe I’ve gotten past now, more details in another post.)

Anyhow, hopefully as I go forward I’ll be able to address more of this, and maybe get a few really great releases out this year.

This last release has been incredible, running four-plus months without a new version being necessary. The major problem has been the time-slippage, and now eBay’s rewrite of the fixed-price items, but all told it’s been remarkably stable.

The next release won’t be VERY different, but I plan for it to have the seed for making larger changes in the future.

Feb 14, 2005

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Tips and Tricks / big thanks

Greetings,
You’re very welcome… I’m immensely proud of how the program has helped a lot of users, and continues to do so.

Thanks very much for the kind words and more!

Feb 13, 2005
Avatar (SF) james tate 12 post(s)

2-13-05 , Sniping didn’t work for me either , I placed a bid on
a item and it had 18 min. before closing and it didn’t bid on item.
I have my sniping setup at 10 sec.
I bet ebay is doing some close monitoring.

jim

Feb 11, 2005

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / How do you run jbidwatcher in Linux

If you want to run in Linux, here is the howto.
/usr/java/jre1.5.0_01/bin/java -jar /home/user/JBidWatcher-0.9.5.jar

Thanks, all of you for your help.

Jim

Feb 11, 2005

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Brief apology and status update

Yeah, Please get well, we need you badly

Jim

Feb 11, 2005

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / Trying to compile jbidwatcher

Run “make” in Linux FC2 jre 1.5 is installed
get error: Compiling all classes.
make: javac: Command not found
make: * [compile] Error 127

What does this mean?

Jim

Feb 11, 2005

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / How do you run jbidwatcher in Linux

I have jre-1.5 installed in Linux fedora2 and downloaded
JBidWatcher.jar binary and I click on it opens a window with
in KDE konqueror such as this:

Size Method Size Now Ratio Timestamp CRC Filename

These are the headings for a large amount of listings under them.
Where do you go from here.
I don’t get any other windows to open.
I also downloaded the tar.gz file but can’t find a README
file to explain how to compile program.
Please help

Thanks Jim

Feb 10, 2005

The same happened to my until this morning. Using my account I wasn’t able to login into eBay without doing it twice. The first attempt always failed and the second attempt prompted me for the security number. The password was the correct in both attempts (autofill, because login information is saved in Safari on Mac OS X).

Using an account of a friend of mine I never had a problem logging in while testing on this. I tried to login into both ebay.com and ebay.de. No difference at all. It seemed the problems were bound to my account.

I tried to delete all former traces of my account my setup could have. I restarted my router and got a new IP. I deleted all cookies and caches, used another computer with another OS and browser after a clean boot. No way. Then I stopped all ebay activity (JBidWatcher) over the night.

After reading your post this morning, my problems are magically gone. Hmm.

To avoid possible sniper detection attempts JBidWatcher could be changed to include several randomly chosen browser strings and a login interval (if there is such thing), which is randomly changed to +/- 60-120 seconds to avoid login pattern.

Feb 9, 2005

Comment Topic: JBidwatcher Help / JBidwatcher and Proxy server?

Same (?) problem here:

- loading of my items from ebay.de doesn’t work
- bidding fails
- I see a excepting for those tries in the error.log

ping gets an ip but no reply. Is it possible, ebay servers just don’t reply to ping?