Hilight color is bad

Subscribe to Hilight color is bad 7 post(s), 2 voice(s)

This is about 2.1pre6 on linux. When I click on a row in the auction list, the background turns into a dark brown. That color makes it almost impossible to read the text in the row, especially when the text is dark brownish red due to there being bids on the auction. I don’t see anything in the GUI that lets me change that color. So where can I go to in the source code to get rid of this awful color?

It looks like the highlight color on Ubuntu linux depends on the appearance theme selected. So I worked around the problem by choosing a different theme with a more compatible highlight color.

I also learned the highlight color can be totally customized via the Appearance Preferences app. Never had to do that before in a couple of years of using linux though.

I still think there is something wrong with the way jbw highlights the selected row in the auction list. Other apps change not only the background color but also the color of the text itself in a selection. For example, in firefox the text color currently changes from black to white when it is selected and that makes it stand out well even against a dark brown background color. In fact, even in parts of jbw itself, such as the Activity and Error log windows, the color of the text goes from black to white when text is selected. Maybe the auction list should do something similar.

Avatar Morgan Schweers Administrator 1,204 post(s)

Greetings,
You can also configure the highlight color inside of JBidwatcher, to override the system settings.

More info here: http://www.jbidwatcher.com/help/faq#ans28

— Morgan Schweers, CyberFOX!

Greetings,
…but fundamentally, you’re right. I should have some means of converting text, if the brightness of the system selection color is high, it changes the text to a dark color, and if it’s low, it changes it to a light color.

Typically the OS does that for me, but I have to override the system color under certain circumstances, so I lose that cool feature. :(

I see why you want to preserve the text colors due to the special meaning they have in the auction list. So maybe the solution is to use a different way to highlight the row, such as drawing a thick border around it instead of changing its background color, perhaps.

Greetings,
I’ve pushed a pre-prerelease of the next version which includes code that allows you to customize the selection color in-program; I had obsoleted that before, but I’ve re-added it in. It still creates a gradient, but it uses the color you specify to control the gradient.

You can grab it and give it a try here: http://forum.jbidwatcher.com/forums/1/topics/2219#posts-6888