Add Auction Link in Web Interface

Subscribe to Add Auction Link in Web Interface 6 post(s), 3 voice(s)

Avatar (SF) Thorste... 2 post(s)

I wanted to add Auctions at work to my server at home. so i extended your webinterface with a link to insert new auctions. If you would like insert this into your project i could send you the classes. (I did some extensions in JBidProxy and in HTMLDump. I like the JDialog class. Nice to make a fast dialog.

Avatar Morgan Schweers Administrator 1,204 post(s)

Greetings,
Sure, I’d love that!

I haven’t done much extension of the web interface, because even I don’t use it much, but I’m hearing more folks using it, so a new feature like that would be great to add in!

Drop me with the patches in an email at:
cyberfox@users.sourceforge.net

— Morgan Schweers, CyberFOX!

Avatar (SF) Philip ... 3 post(s)

My 0.02:

I would love to use the web interface more, but here are my 2 deal-breakers:

1) security isn’t too strong
2) Can’t add/edit auctions

The way I see it, the main value in Jbidwatcher is lost if it isn’t running continuously. Personally I run it on a Linux box that stays on 24×7.

Problem is, if I’m not near that box I don’t have any view or control of auctions I’m interested in. Being able to add/edit auctions (including changing things like snipe price) through the web interface would be a very worthwhile addition, to me anyway. Especially if the security is good. :-)

Greetings,
Add will be in the upcoming 0.9 release, and if by ‘edit’ you mean place and cancel snipes, that functionality is definitely in there. (Click on the end time, when viewing the main page.)

Once you get past that, though, there are some more UI issues with the web-side, like showing all auctions in both normal and completed, which ends up showing a lot too much stuff.

As for security, Basic Authentication is really all I can do, without tying the program to the 1.4.x JRE for doing SSL connections. One of the future-features I have planned is to allow you to choose a username and password which has nothing to do with your default (eBay) auction site user/pass.

Anyhow, the way to change the snipe price through the HTML view is by clicking the snipe price itself (cancels the snipe), and then clicking the end-time to enter a new one. There were some bugs and annoyances in that flow before, but it did work, and again 0.9 will fix them.

Avatar (SF) Philip ... 3 post(s)

Yep, adding or deleting auctions would be particularly helpful.

Re: security, I wonder if you could just do some kind of MD5 hash of the password without having to use full-fledged SSL? Actually one of my biggest issues is the fact that the password, if I’m not mistaken, is stored as plaintext on the host machine.

As for encrypting the actual control session, maybe I’ll play around with tunnelling http over SSH..

Greetings,

It’s not exactly plaintext, but it’s not particularly encrypted either, unfortunately. Good encryption requires I prompt the user for their ‘general’ password on launch, and then decrypt their real password using that. This is a bit intrusive, and difficult.