starting as daemon - w/o gui for web-mode?

Subscribe to starting as daemon - w/o gui for web-mode? 3 post(s), 2 voice(s)

Avatar (SF) Alfred ... 2 post(s)

I just discovered the http-server in jbidwatcher. This seems to be a great tool, eg for sniping on a server with the workstation turned off. But how can I start jbidwatcher without GUI on a remote server?

Alfred

Avatar Morgan Schweers Administrator 1,204 post(s)

Greetings,
It’s not really designed for GUI-less running, it was more to view your items remotely, and I added a few useful tweaks in the process. I have some heavy-duty fixes I need to apply to the internal HTTP server, so it can display tabs like the app, for instance.

That said, it’s a pretty common request. Unfortunately while I’ve done a decent job abstracting the layers from each other, there’s still just enough of a reliance, that you find that even the low-level classes are dependant on Swing, and that means that there has to be a UI running, otherwise Swing doesn’t initialize happily.

Now, I’m going to be going in a direction which makes JBidwatcher more server-esque, allowing JBidwatcher instances on different computers to control each other and/or synchronize with each other, for example. Somewhere along the route to there I hope to find myself finishing the seperation between the layers so that anybody can run it as a server and control it from any desktop.

In order to do that, and deal with the vagaries of firewalls, proxies, NATs, etc., I’m likely to actually make JBidwatcher talk (encrypted) to a central server to transmit commands back and forth between JBidwatchers. My goal (and I have a solid idea how to do it) is to make it so that even if I wanted to, I couldn’t decrypt those packets, because they’re encrypted with a secret that you share between your JBidwatcher instances.

This allows me to also build a cellphone app (which I’ve been dying to do, ’cause it seems so cool!) which would allow you to control your home JBidwatcher from your phone.

Anyhow, enough rambling from me.

What you want is not possible right now, but it’s likely to be possible in the future, just not the immediate future.

— Morgan Schweers, CyberFOX!

Avatar (SF) Alfred ... 2 post(s)

Thanks, Morgan, for your “rambling”!

Alfred