Mac OS X Panther 10.3 JbidWatcher not start

Subscribe to Mac OS X Panther 10.3 JbidWatcher not start 5 post(s), 4 voice(s)

Jbidwatcher will not fully launch for me.
Just installed Mac 10.3 Panther.
Looks like it launches but nothing shows up.
Will not quit, have to force quit.
Tried deleting the jbid folder in home directory… still nothing.
Please help.

I’m having the same problem…. It seems others have it running under panther, so it would be good if we could get confirmation that it does run and what we can do our end to get it to work.

Help please!?!?

Avatar Morgan Schweers Administrator 1,204 post(s)

Greetings,

Arrrrrgh… I just got Panther and got it installed (I admit, I hate paying that much for a minor version upgrade), but I did an archive and install, as I felt that would be the safest. That seems to have avoided the problem entirely, as JBidwatcher works fine on my setup.

I’ll try installing it as an ‘upgrade’ on the old slow test box I first got to do this sort of thing on, and see if I can replicate the problem.

The browser problem has me completely flummoxed as I was using a third party class to do browser launching on the Mac. It was solid, and hasn’t needed to be updated since June, 2001, so I’m going to have to figure out what broke it…

After looking at it under Panther, I’m seriously considering doing away with the toolbar under MacOSX. It looks much nicer without it, but I’m not positive I want the eBay time displaying on a line by itself like that. It seems wrong also. If knowing the current eBay time isn’t useful, I might just cut that whole section out under OSX, for cleanliness. Please, if you’re running Panther, try going into ‘Edit | Show/Hide Toolbar’, and hiding it and letting me know if that’s a better UI for you.

Also, some people have complained about the metal look… I don’t know if I can change it on the fly, but it IS editable in the MRJApp.properties file, you can change ‘apple.awt.brushMetalLook=true’ to ‘false’ instead. (The toolbar looks much more appropriate in that view instead.) I’ll see if I can’t make that selectable.

— Morgan Schweers, CyberFOX!

Morgan,

Thanks for the quick response, impressive. As I said in my ‘I GOT IT TO WORK POST’, the upgrade install on mine and I guess on many users machine’s doesn’t seem to upgrade the Java to the panther version therefore resulting in Jbidwatcher not running and I guess any other java app. You may want to consider posting the info in the latest news section on your site as it took me a while to find the info regarding this and could be helpful to others? Just an idea.

With regards to the toolbar, I do use it, but understand that it does look a little out of place, but would still like to retain it. From a design point of view (and please tell me to shut up if you wish), are you able to give the buttons a metal/silver background to blend them more with the surrounding, and possibly center them above the tabs which will also enhance the mac look??

Just a final note to say Jbidwatcher is seriously good and would be interested in suggesting other UI idea’s for you to laugh at if you wish.

Thanks.
Ken.

Whoever it does not work for in Panther: did you try to work with the java .jar instead and link Java environment back to 1.3.1?
1.4.1-1 has been pulled from Apple website since it’s not any good…
At least it’s worth a try and does only need some lines in terminal, which are easily revertable as opposed to new install of OS!

Try this:
Mac OS X determines what version of Java to run with the
symbolic link CurrentJDK . To change your java version you have
to replace this link with a new one that points to 1.3.1. Here
is
how:
Start the Terminal app and type:
cd /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions

ls -l

would give something like this (Make sure you have a directory
named 1.3.1):
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Feb 20 2002 1.2