2.99pre4 Won't Launch on OS X 10.11.2

Subscribe to 2.99pre4 Won't Launch on OS X 10.11.2 14 post(s), 5 voice(s)

Both in-app update and fresh DMG install from the website prove unusable on OS X 10.11.2 … a dialog pops up that ‘The application “JBidwatcher.app” can’t be opened. System log entries related to this problem include the following:

2016/10/01 17:46:25.750 Dock239: spawn_via_launchd() failed, errno=111 label=[0×0-0×1f31f3].com.jbidwatcher.JBidwatcher path=/Applications/JBidwatcher.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub flags=1

2016/10/01 17:46:25.917 lsd238: LaunchServices: Could not store lsd-identifiers file at /private/var/db/lsd/com.apple.lsdschemes.plist

2016/10/01 17:46:25.924 com.apple.xpc.launchd1: (com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0×10000015.JavaApplicationStub6684) Could not find and/or execute program specified by service: 2: No such file or directory: /Applications/JBidwatcher.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub

Avatar Morgan Schweers Administrator 1,204 post(s)

Greetings,
Argh; this is awful. :(

Mountain Lion and later apparently do this thing where they ‘cache’ (hold onto) the app information even if it’s completely replaced. So the fact that the internal executable file has been given a new name in 2.99pr4 completely breaks it. There is no JavaApplicationStub, nor does the application refer to it, but the OS is ‘stuck’ thinking that’s the name of the code to run.

Try moving JBidwatcher.app to some other directory, then moving it back again; that may work. Manual install/upgrade should also work, and just…waiting for OS X to flush that cached information.

I wish I had a solution on my side. :(. I’ll keep looking…

— Morgan

None of the above worked for me. Restarted and everything is fine.

After I have updated Jbidwatcher on OS X 10.10.5, I am getting “JBidWatch quit unexpectedly” error all the time.

I tried everything: copied the app to another folder then back, tried to delete the app and installed from the scratch, repaired permissions and verified the disk, restarted the computer – nothing works for me.

Any other advice?

P.S. When I downgrade to v.2.5.6, the application opens, once I install 2.99, it doesn’t open anymore

Greetings,
@vahegan – Can you look at Console.app and then run JBidwatcher to see why it’s exiting?

— Morgan

Hi Morgan,

Here’s en excerpt from the crash report:

Crashed Thread: 0 AppKit Thread Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0×0000383534393150

VM Regions Near 0×383534393150:
__LINKEDIT 000012344122b000-0000123441296000 [ 428K] r—/rwx SM=COW /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/GeForceGLDriver
->
MALLOC_TINY 00007f86a8c00000-00007f86a9000000 [ 4096K] rw
/rwx SM=COW

Darn! This WOULD happen at 11pm on a night when I want to snipe an eBay auction that ends at 3am.

Just FYI, I’m running on 10.6.8 and (foolishly) accepted the update. Now, JBidWatcher isn’t working.

Where can I go to download the previous version (2.5.6). On the site, I can only find 2.99.

I deleted the (upgraded) JBidWatcher and then tried manually downloading and installing 2.99, but it won’t install.

Greetings,

http://www.jbidwatcher.com/download/JBidwatcher-2.5.6.dmg

— Morgan

Sorry Morgan. I realise that this must be a PITA for you. Thanks for posting the link. It’s issues like this that make me realise how great this service is and how much I value it. I WILL be donating!

Thank you, Morgan, I installed the pre5 and it now opens.
Unfortunately, I am still unable to use the program, I am getting a message “eBay has put a captcha” all the time. Last time I tried it quite a few months ago and I was hoping that by not using the sniper, the captcha would be removed, but no luck. Also, I never get any captcha to enter when I manually log in using the browser – this is only present when I am trying to use jbidwatcher…

Oh, I played with a different browser and found out a strange thing. When I am using to login with the password which the system remembered in keychain, it never requests to enter any captcha, it just logs in.

When I am trying to login into eBay from a clean browser, I enter the password and then it tells me that the login was incorrect and offers to re-enter the password AND a captcha. When I enter the very same password along with the captcha, it logs me in. When I log out and try to log in, again, it doesn’t ask for a captcha and again reports that password was incorrect and a captcha – and the password works.

I don’t quite understand what’s going on with eBay, but that’s quite annoying…

Greetings,
@vahegan – It’s a security measure on eBay’s part. They’ve probably dropped a cookie marking that one browser as trustworthy, but because the other browser (and JBidwatcher) appear as different browsers, it treats them differently. Unfortunately the only thing that I’ve found that cures the captcha is time. :(

— Morgan

Thank you for your explanations, Morgan. That’s too bad as jbidwatcher was one of my favorite software and I am getting upset by not being able to use it. I am in such time zone that most auctions end in a very awkward time for me – I can’t stay awake till 4-5am to be able to bid manually…

Is it possible for jbidwatcher to pretend it is one of the known browsers by mimicking its signature? I remember that a while ago there was some software for downloading entire websites for offline viewing – and there was a feature built in – it could be configured to pretend to be one or another browser. Is it possible to implement something like that?