Is anyone ever going to fix this software?

Subscribe to Is anyone ever going to fix this software? 15 post(s), 13 voice(s)

What on earth is going on with JBidwatcher these days? I used to recommend it to everyone but now it’s become unusable. I just lost out on a real bargain because the software didn’t even bid. I set up my snipe as usual, tested my login as I always do..just in case! and then watched as I my item went to someone else for a third of my max bid!

I know it’s free but honestly whats the point if it’s not going to work? and what’s with the showing of wrong info such as FP when it clearly is not a FP auction, not updating prices, showing odd characters and symbols where the price should be. If the developers have given up then fair enough but at least let us know so we can stop trusting our snipes to JBidwatcher?

So gutted I lost this item. Been tracking it for days and I’m just so disappointed that JBidwatcher let me down.

Sorry to hear that you lost the auction, but the problem is with eBay, not with JBidWatcher. eBay keeps changing the layout of its pages, and it will not allow sniping programs to use an API.

As for “the developers”, it’s one guy, who has a young family to support, so constantly updating a (free) program to keep up with eBay’s constant changes may not be his highest priority.

That’s somewhat unfair on Morgan isn’t it? One guy developing an excellent piece of software, not a faceless corporation…

If you really must have something play super safe and snipe it manually as well as having Jbid do it.
I do

I very rarely have a problem and that is usually the connection

Avatar Morgan Schweers Administrator 1,204 post(s)

Greetings,
I am sorry that folks are having trouble, and I know it’s not in the best shape right now.

I’ve got a lot of changes in a pre-release branch, but I’m having trouble getting certain things working. The big holdout is consistently recognizing you as the high bidder, which has the potential of causing problems with multi-snipes. When I rank potential errors, losing an auction you should have won is bad. Winning multiple auctions when you should only have won one is much worse.

Unfortunately between Easter, my wife tearing a ligament (and thus me having to be a more active parent) and my day job, I haven’t had the time to dedicate to testing and making sure it works well enough to release a deep set of changes. Lastly I’ve been a little too close to the wire financially to list test auctions much, but job reviews came in at work and I’ve kicked butt at work this last year, so things are getting better on that front.

I spent a bunch of time this weekend working on it, and I’m seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.

If you absolutely can’t do a manual snipe, and JBidwatcher is in a bad way and I haven’t released yet, I suggest trying Gixen as I have respect for the guy running it, and IIRC it’s also free.

Again, I’m sorry for the state of JBidwatcher lately, and I’m working on it.

Best of luck with your auctions!

— Morgan Schweers, CyberFOX!

Sorry to hear of your travails. I understand juggling many balls. Ideal would be that it gets reliable enough and you could start charging. I’m an ex-Auction Sentry user looking for something new. After Dan Hite sold out to Auctiva, Auction Sentry has gotten steadily worse and upped their prices and are not honoring lifetime license purchases. It’s too bad because Dan Hite did a good job of keeping up with things and it was very reliable. I paid for Auction Sentry, I’d be happy to pay a reasonable price for a reliable sniping program if JBidWatcher gets to that point.

Morgan -

Thanks for all of your work. Personally, I almost never multisnipe, I’d rather reliably snipe than have multisnipe in any shape or form… thanks for the update. Sticking with JBid even if it is batting .950…

Much like MEC2, I never multisnipe. Reliable sniping is more important than getting every feature working 100%.

Having said that, and despite the recent problems keeping up with eBay’s changes, I love this program. I donated a few years back and just sent a second donation; it’s worth it. I’m satisfied that Morgan will get the current issues resolved when his time permits.

Many thanks for updating us on your latest work on the application, Morgan!
I wish your dear wife a quick recovery and to you success on ALL fronts. ^_ ^

Thank you for the update Morgan!

Avatar Morgan Schweers Administrator 1,204 post(s)

Greetings,
Crud.

I had a pre-release version I was going to push tonight that resolves a lot of problems, but after an auction update some items (fixed price items, mainly) lose ALL details and drop out of JBidwatcher.

Showstopper bug… Back to the drawing board.

— Morgan

Thanks for the update Morgan, very much looking forward to the new release!

The drop out of JB is one I noticed bad in pre4, I had auctions disappearing left and right, and couldn’t be re-added.

MEC2

Thanks so much Morgan…. I was traveling so I’d never had a chance to test the pre4, and I am still using the Pre3 and its still sniping and winning for me as of today…

I look forward to the new version later… for now, I am still very happy that JBW is still working well enough for me… Thanks again.

One way of getting it fixed is to make a donation and then you might have a chance of Morgan prioritising fixing this over other things. This software has done so much for me I just fired of another 20 buck donation.

Good to hear that you appreciate the problems Morgan, I love the software, and have used it for years, but it has been unusable for me in the last 6months or so here in the UK. Many and varied bugs, culminating with the infamous FP problem.

I have downloaded the source, and have considered forking, and creating jbidwatcher lite, but that does seem like a lot of work, and will probably be much simpler if you do it Morgan!

FWIW, my suggestions to lighten the sw development load are:

• get the community involved – i’m sure there plenty of people, even if the aren’t very familiar with Java, who would be happy to help beta test, etc
  • simplify the code, make the code base much smaller, with the aim of making it simpler to maintain. Ask the users what features they use, and strip out the rest. As far as I am concerned, all I want is a simple utility that will read the items I am watching in My eBay, and allow me to snipe. Nothing else.
  • improve the logging & diagnostics, to make the action of the program more accessible to the community. It would be good to get to the situation where users can report to you exactly what the problems are, and you don’t have to spend time recreating test cases etc. One simple thing I would like is for the intermediate format auction items to not be compressed, so I can easily read them.

Anyway, just a few half baked thoughts – but the main thing is, I’m sure there are plenty of people who want to help – just offer them some encouragement!