2.0 won't add auctions

Subscribe to 2.0 won't add auctions 16 post(s), 8 voice(s)

Avatar Michael in V... 5 post(s)

I have tried IE Explorer, Mozella Firefox, Google Chrome and Apple Safari and I get the same results from all of them: When I click Auctions/Add I can add an auction number but when I close JBW and then reopen it, that auction has disappeared (and it won’t let me add that auction again – it says that it has already been added). When I click Edit/Paste Auction, I get an error message (once again, when I try to add it again, instead of the error message it says that it has already been added). As I said, I get the same results in all 4 browsers. I have been using JBW for several years with never a problem until I installed 2.0. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hi, If you check around the forums you will find you are not alone in having problems with Version 2 of JBidWatcher. I expect Morgans on the case and will no doubt issue an update as soon as he has one that’s “stable”. Until then the best thing to do is revert back to Beta 11 which still works for me in all respects. You could try deleting the old database on your machine (delete the folder jbdb) which will force JBidWatcher to recreate it. This has worked for some people but unfortunatly didn’t work for me. While you are waiting you could also take the time to send Morgan a donation for his work I’m sure he would appreciate it. :-))

Regards
Hoddy

Avatar Michael in V... 5 post(s)

Aha! Good idea, indeed! I went into the Cyberfox folder and there were all of the JBW Beta 2 .exe files (2, 8, 10 and 11). I copied the Beta11 shortcut to my desktop, ran it and all is well. It even shows the auctions that were added (and disappeared) when I was using 2.0. Thanks for your help Hoddy.

Avatar Morgan Schweers Administrator 1,204 post(s)

Greetings,
I’ve put up a 2.0.1 pre-release based on SVN revision 819. You can tell the version number by looking in Help | About and looking for 2.0.1pre2-819.

It’s available via:

Windows: http://next.jbidwatcher.com/download/JBidwatcher-2.0.1pre2.exe

Mac OS X: http://next.jbidwatcher.com/download/JBidwatcher-2.0.1pre2.dmg

Linux & other: http://next.jbidwatcher.com/download/JBidwatcher-2.0.1pre2.jar

This is a total test version; it will not be very fast, and it will create a really large file named ‘derby.log’ in the JBidwatcher data directory, but if you have any more problems, the logs will help me a lot. It may also create a ‘recovered’ tab, which will have auctions that had gotten orphaned. The listings you added, and couldn’t re-add after closing and restarting aren’t orphaned, they should show up in the ‘right spots’, as per where they were before. It should also fix the CPU overload/freeze on startup.

I believe it will also fix the ‘freeze on check login’ problem. It’s a CAPTCHA problem which means JBidwatcher’s not going to be useful to you anyhow until the CAPTCHA goes away, but at least JBidwatcher won’t freak out anymore, and will basically recognize it.

I could really use feedback on this, so I can hopefully release it this weekend.

— Morgan Schweers, Cyber*FOX*!

Yup – I also have Michael’s problem – add an auction, close JBW and the auction is lost from view, but unable to be put back.

Greetings,
@Dodgy – Did you try the 2.0.1 version I mention above?

Hi Morgan, your 2.0.1 did the trick for me. I had been having problems with JBW only showing about a dozen of my watched auctions. Playing with eBay’s number of listings per page was not resolving the issue. All of my watched auctions are now listed. Great job!

Hi Morgan ,

I had the same Problem. Solved. Version 2.0.1 works lika a charm .The version also fixed the ‘freeze on check login’ problem. OS Kubuntu 8.10 Browser Fiefox Country Germany ebay.de

Thank You

Regards

Michael

Hello everybody! I’m experimentig the same troubles as some of the users here described, such as auction added that desappear suddendly, plus, on my computer the 2.0 version fail to log in on 90% of times, saying the reason is unknown. So the sniping fails half of the times, because it’s not completely clear if the program logged in truly or not… Could anyone tell me where to find the beta 11 to replace this one? That worked great! Thanks!

Yup – I also have Michael’s problem – add an auction, close JBW and the auction is lost from view, but unable to be put back.

I just upgraded from 2 beta something because I thought “well this stable version will have all the bugs ironed out” but I got this same problem!!

So I will try this 2.0.1.
I think 2 shouldn’t have been labled stabled as my beta (can’t rember which verson) was fine but 2 final is not.

I am on am on an eeepc which has a resolution of 800×480. (if that has any barering)

As a workaround I renamed my user profile so JBW made a totaly new profile then I could add the action again but alas this would only last untill I closed JBW then on opening again the same problem would happen.

Ok yes on second thoughts wheres beta 11?

After fiddling with urls and following the versioning pattern http://www.jbidwatcher.com/download/JBidwatcher-2.0beta11-Installer.exe
Morgan could you post this on your news as this is the last stable version for many people?

P.S sorry if I come across strong, I love JBW!

Greetings,

Not at the moment – I’m sticking with 2.0. I find it seems to be more reliable for me on precise sniping times than 1.11, which are important to me, though I know these can be so influenced by the local system environment that the version may be the least of my problems. Still, I wanted to keep everything the same while I investigated how to suppress all other system and network activity!

I am also trying to bug-check 2.0 . Has anyone else had problems with the JBW icon not appearing in the system tray, even though it is running? I seem to have noticed that a couple of times now, making it impossible to bring up JBW for maintenance and to add new auctions. But it may just be something I am doing wrong…. Bugs aside, 2.0 is working well for me on an XPpro SP3 system.

Morgan, is there an easy way to dump the JBW database and settings and store them in a file, so we can clean our systems and then rebuild a new JBW version with our old data? Some kind of export/import command…

Greetings,

I have now run all the auctions I wanted for today using V2.0 – works a dream apart for one auction which is ending in two days, and just will not stay on the screen. I put it in, then drop JBW and when it comes back it’s not on the screen, and I can’t input it again. I tried removing JBW and re-installing – no joy. So I’ve gone over to 2.0.1, and that seems to work.

Incidentally, the 2.0.1 doesn’t seem to be an installer. It just runs JBW when I click it, and does not install a shortcut to my system.

Greetings,

I have now run all the auctions I wanted for today using V2.0 – works a dream apart for one auction which is ending in two days, and just will not stay on the screen. I put it in, then drop JBW and when it comes back it’s not on the screen, and I can’t input it again. I tried removing JBW and re-installing – no joy. So I’ve gone over to 2.0.1, and that seems to work.

Incidentally, the 2.0.1 doesn’t seem to be an installer. It just runs JBW when I click it, and does not install a shortcut to my system.

Greetings,

@Dodgy – I don’t do an installer version until it’s time for the ‘real’ releases; it’s a bit of a hassle, and for testing I want to be able to push it up quickly, rather than go through all the release steps.

I’m glad to hear 2.0.1 is working well for you so far; I have one issue I’m trying to resolve, and if I can get it resolved, or at least have a fix I believe will work, I’ll release the 2.0.1 full version, which will include an installer…

For import/export, some folks have indicated some luck with deleting (or, better, renaming) the ‘jbdb’ folder in JBidwatcher’s directory, and restarting JBidwatcher. This forces JBidwatcher to reload from the auctions.xml (which 2.0 continues to save, currently), and thus acts like an export/import cycle.

@eabays – I appreciate the fervor, and I’m glad you found the 2.0beta11 version (I do leave them up on the server for pretty much ever), but I’d very much prefer if you tried the 2.0.1pre2 release, and let me know if it fixes the issues you’re seeing.

As for labeling 2.0 as stable, it’s a matter of exposure. The pre-release (2.0beta12, which was made in limited release) worked well for a lot of people, so I put it out as a full release. Unfortunately, when you go from small viewing public to LARGE viewing public (13,000 downloads at this point), you find out about a lot of issues that weren’t caught by the smaller test group.

At some point I have to make the decision to release, even knowing that folks are going to find things I didn’t expect. I’m still glad I did; I knew I’d need a 2.0.1 not long after, and I’m still trying to get that out shortly.